Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 License Plates - going, going, gone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
As I promised in the 'Free Plate' thread - here are some of the remaining extra 914 plates available. The free contest was fun, but I think the thread is dead. It climbed to being the one with the 2nd most all time post, but it has now faded several pages back without any action. I thank you all for a moment of fame and glory. I'll enjoy my #2 position 'till some snot nosed brat comes along with a more popular idea.

Now the rules of the sale. This is NOT a capitalistic venture. I was happy to give away some of the plates (and eat the postage) to a lucky few. I am making more of my other extras availabe to those who want one - AT MY COST. The price per plate is $ 10, postage included. (Yes, even to Holland) After deducting the postage plus my original purchase price of the plate (@ $5 for most) ALL REMAINING FUNDS WILL BE DONATED TO KORIJO's WHEEL CHAIR FUND! There is a limit of TWO plates per person. First come - first served. Choose wisely. The condition of the plates varies from 'road kill' to mint never issued. No refunds. No whining. All sales are final! Post your request and your choice(s) will be reserved. DO NOT send payment 'till you see confirmation posted. Send payment to: John Peterson, 612 E. Essex Dr., Las Vegas, NV 89107. (don't forget to include your address)
The attached photo will be updated as the plates are taken.
Dave Cawdrey
I'll take the Arkansas plate (1st one pictured), and Minnesota 73-914, please. I can donate to my own fund, right?

I went to school in Ark...
markb
I'd like the Minnesota plates 70-914 and 72-914. I can put the payment in tomorrows mail. Thanks, Mark
Hawk
Wyoming 1 914H please. Thanks.
-Richard

And BTW, how did you get into collecting these plates, what a collection!!
VegasRacer
korijo, markb & Hawk - got 'em.
don't worry 'cause the 70, 72 & 73 Minn. are still up there (I have the mate to the pair)

To answer how I started: 10 yrs ago I bought a new car without a sunroof. I used that excuse to finally get a 914. (I still think the targa top is the best design option for any car) The 914 had wide spaced holes on the front bumper. I thought it would be cool to add a German plate. While searching for one I developed a new hobby. That was three 914's, 5000 plates and $$$$$'s ago. I shoulda just sprung the extra 700 for the sunroof. I woulda saved myself 100K. I don't collect just 914 plates. I have complete runs (190? to date) from several states. My main focus now is Rally plates. This one is from a Sunbeam Rapier driven by Lola Grounds.
Hawk
Your walls at home must look like perforated tiles tongue.gif
If you have another 70 914 MN plate I will pony up for that as well.
A small collection of 3 would be tolerated by the wife, I think. cool_shades.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Hawk @ May 7 2003, 12:26 PM)

A small collection of 3 would be tolerated by the wife, I think.

Hawk - The 70-914 is yours also.
Hope I don't cause any marital stress for you. smlove2.gif
Blade Demon
914 NAH MN?

I'll get my dad to send the $$ when he calls me from down South. Picking up a 72

Do you have any plates from up here (Canada)? There is a few in the garage (not 914 plates) if you would like one?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Blade Demon @ May 7 2003, 08:15 PM)
914 NAH MN?

Do you have any plates from up here?

Blade Demon - The Minn. 914-NAH is yours.

I've got this spare Alberta if you want it also.

I have many non 914's from The Great White North.
The only extras I could use are from NWT or Yukon.
Blade Demon
Thanks, yes to the Alberta plate. I'll ask about the Yukon, NWT plates. he might know about them.
Lawrence
Blade Demon - welcome to the Club!

VR - how valuable for collectors do these plates get? Are they like comic books and stuff?

-Rusty
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 8 2003, 03:44 AM)

- how valuable for collectors do these plates get?

If you have an Alaska plate from the 1920's you could trade it for a really nice 914.
Same goes for the first year of issue from about a dozen other states.
Most common current plates (1950 to date) are just a few bucks.
Older ones can bring more - especially from the rust prone southern states. (we all know about rust problems)
Some of the current special issue graphics can bring a good price.
For International plates North Korea and Vatican City are the two most expensive.
Like with any collectible, condition makes all the difference.
Hawk
Vegasracer,
Thanks much. Check's in the mail for the 2 plates- I will include shipping. No reason you should foot that bill.
The wife is used to my Porsche obsession and associated stuff but this is quite novel.
-Richard
Lawrence
Someday, I'd like to find a Carerra Panamericana race license plate. smile.gif

From what I've heard - bring money.

-Rusty
djm914-6
I'd like two for myself and two for a friend if possable...

For me: Colorado WR-914 and (can't see state) XC 9142
I love CO and World Rally plus I plan on doing another cross country trip in a 914.

If I could do three I'd go for a minnesota PHT 914
That would be PHAT!

For Bruce Carney: Minnesota 73-914 and Iowa (10) 4914
He has a '73 /4 and on our XC trip last summer he got a speeding ticket in IOWA at almost 104mph (102 really).

How does one pay?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 8 2003, 08:36 AM)
Someday, I'd like to find a Carerra Panamericana race license plate.

If you do you have an eagar buyer here in Vegas.
That is one of the holes in my collection.

djm914-6 YES. You can have all 5 you asked for.
I really like your logic and choices.
The blue XC-9142 is a rare New Mexico government plate.
It does have a few scratches. (nothing a little touch up wont fix)
Send payment to my address on the first post with the group plate photo.
ThinAir
I'll take Minnesota 20-914!
ThinAir
Just noticed an earlier msg that you still have MN 73-914. I may want that instead - do you have it still?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ May 8 2003, 08:51 PM)
Just noticed an earlier msg that you still have MN 73-914. I may want that instead - do you have it still?

Nope. Had a pair. Both sold.

Sorry. If it's gone from the photo it's taken.

Still want #20-914?
ThinAir
Yup. I just got a 2.0L 1973. It's perfect for the front bumper!
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ May 8 2003, 09:18 PM)
 It's perfect for the front bumper!

It's yours. beerchug.gif
Good way to kill bugs. smash.gif
Congrats on the new teener. MDB2.gif
VegasRacer
The plates have been sent to markb, Hawk, Blade Demon & ErnieDV.

I am still waiting to hear from Korijo & djm914-6. If you sent payment, I have not received it.

It's not to late if anybody else wants some of the plates from the photo attached to the first post of this thread.

I will be sending $25 to Brad as promised from the sale of the plates so far, to be added to the wheelchair fund.
It's not as much as I hoped to generate, but every little bit gets us closer to our goal.
Dave Cawdrey
Oopps... Forgot. Going out today mellow.gif
VegasRacer
See Dave - All that spleef will rot your mind. devil.gif wacko.gif :flower:

You do know that when you get your new chair we are all going to be lined up for free rides.
And don't forget, you are just a hired driver for that thing. You can easily be replaced. :toilet:
markb
boldblue.gif I got mine in the mail yesterday! Very cool! Thanks, VegasRacer!!
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 17 2003, 01:02 PM)
See Dave - All that spleef will rot your mind. devil.gif wacko.gif :flower:

You do know that when you get your new chair we are all going to be lined up for free rides.
And don't forget, you are just a hired driver for that thing. You can easily be replaced. :toilet:

LOL biggrin.gif lol2.gif
boxstr
Vegasracer, I thougth I should show you this. My newest additiopn.
CCLINFLEETLAND
djm914-6
Damn, I forgot all about that! I'm so sorry. I'll get the payment to you asap! -_-
majkos
wavey.gif Hmmm,Vegasracer? Newbie here,gotten your thread a lil' late,was wonderin if you still have any "914 "plates from Mile High.Colorado!
tat2dphreak
OHHH I'd like the TX plate from '74 (VLM 914) and the 72-914 plate in the bottom middle
Jenny
If in deed you are still doing this, I'd like Minnesota's 17 914.
I can paypal.

Jen
VegasRacer
Hi Y'all. Thanks for digging up one of my old threads.
Early next week I will have a chance to confirm that I still have those plates available. 99% chance YES. I'll get back to you in a PM.
tat2dphreak
sweet! thanks smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.