Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signal Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
My signal lights don't turn off by themselves after I go around the corner. This may sound dumb but...do any of them?
I would hate to tear apart my steering wheel only to find that they never did. (just like the hour and a half I spent trying to get my side marker lights to flash with the signal lights headbang.gif )
STL914
Doug,

To answer your question, the directionals should be self canceling.

The signals on my '74, after time, just wore out and I had to manually turn them off. Never did fix them. My "new" '72 works as they should.
markb
Have you had your steering wheel off recently? Odds are you put it back on 180 degrees out. The canceller should be on the right side.
SGB
Yeah, they do "self-cancel". My SAAB had this prob. Some little nub thing had worn away on the steering column. It was gonna be quite the challenge getting to that, but I've never taken off a 914 ts switch.
gregrobbins
Pull your steering wheel and see if the canceller is broken. There should be a black section that drops down to cancel out the turnsignals. It is a plastic part that can be easily broken. PM me if you need a picture.
red914
i actually considered trying to do something about my signals not cancelling, until i read some posts way back when about steering column guts exploding upon disassembly. so i figured it isn't that big a deal; there are other more pressing issues, like dragging rear brakes! arrgghh!
McMark
If your steering guts explode then you have bigger fish to fry. And maybe a DAPO or two.
tracks914
Actually I just figured they didn't cancel from the factory. Now that I know, I will take the steering wheel apart and fix it. I think that the steering column, tranny (this winters project) and the steering rack are the only pieces on the car that I haven't disassembled and rebuilt. Now I have an excuse to take it apart too. sawzall-smiley.gif
phantom914
QUOTE(markb @ Sep 28 2004, 05:40 PM)
Have you had your steering wheel off recently? Odds are you put it back on 180 degrees out. The canceller should be on the left side.

The canceller thingy is on the right side.

Andrew
Ray Warren
Mine started to stick and I just took the wheel off
and sprayed a bit of lubricant in there and it now
works great.
tracks914
QUOTE(red914 @ Sep 28 2004, 06:53 PM)
i actually considered trying to do something about my signals not cancelling, until i read some posts way back when about steering column guts exploding upon disassembly.

Today I took mine apart. (I had 1/2 hour to spare so I decided WTH) The guts didn't explode but they have been apart by a P.O. I can tell from the damage inside, and they did come out in pieces. I even have an extra part now that I need a parts breakdown to figure out where and how it goes in.
All part of the fun, 4 hours later and re-keying the ignition to have matching keys.
Tx
Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.