Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankcase ventilation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edwin
Have had the car back on the road about a week now and have put nearly 1000km's on it (you do the math)
Have used nearly a litre of oil and i am sure that nearly none of it has been burned as there are signs of it all over the floor of the shed and the engine bay. one of the plugs I had on the right hand head vent came off and oil has sprayed everywhere in that area.
I also put a breather filter on the oil fill box and there is lots of oil in the filter and on the box itself.
Not sure if this should be worrying or normal.
I plan to make a breather box when i get some time soon and am still debating plumbing the breather into the intake.
Look forward to ideas and opinions
Edwin
SLITS
QUOTE(edwin @ Apr 1 2012, 07:02 AM) *

Have had the car back on the road about a week now and have put nearly 1000km's on it (you do the math)
Have used nearly a litre of oil and i am sure that nearly none of it has been burned as there are signs of it all over the floor of the shed and the engine bay. one of the plugs I had on the right hand head vent came off and oil has sprayed everywhere in that area.
I also put a breather filter on the oil fill box and there is lots of oil in the filter and on the box itself.
Not sure if this should be worrying or normal.
I plan to make a breather box when i get some time soon and am still debating plumbing the breather into the intake.
Look forward to ideas and opinions
Edwin

What engine? What induction system? What is the oil level in the engine (did you overfill it?)?

If the engine is old and you have excessive blow-by, you're gonna puke oil out of the breathers.

If FI and not a 1.8 L-Jet, do you have the PCV valve in the oil filler base?

Head vents are piped to an anti-flashback valve and then to the air cleaner on a D-Jet.

If you tie them all to a breather, it needs to be high above the engine so that oil will drain back to the crankcase.
edwin
Probably should have said most of that first.
Engine is a 1.8 and was running and using no oil.
PO had the engine rebuilt and it feels very strong.
I've just done a conversion from the terrible dual 32mm carbs to aftermarket EFI with quad throttle bodies
Only filled to the top mark and now shows just above min.
I expect the plug came off the head while a friend was driving and i was tuning.
We hit a corner pretty hard just under the limiter in 4th and the oil light flashed mid corner. That run i was tuning for full throttle high revs so it would build crankcase pressure anyway.
My big concern is the oil fill box which just has a filter in the breather port without a pcv
Cheers
Edwin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.