Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Camber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I installed a small 6 in my car yesterday and I noticed the car has more positive camber to the rear wheels than before the conversion. Is there an adjustment for camber? Ive yet to put on the axels, might that straighten it out?

Kev
rick 918-S
Check Chris Foley's site. He has Camber adjustment shims. I bought two sets to straighten mine out. You will need to get longer bolts too. wait until you get it rolling and bring it into an alignment shop.
Jeffs9146
You remove shims to create negitive camber.
Dave_Darling
Just the axles won't affect the camber. Putting weight on the wheels will.

The camber is changed by adding or removing shims between the outer trailing arm mount and the body. More shims mean more positive camber, less shimming (fewer or thinner shims) mean more negative camber.

--DD
kconway
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 1 2012, 08:28 PM) *

The camber is changed by adding or removing shims between the outer trailing arm mount and the body. More shims mean more positive camber, less shimming (fewer or thinner shims) mean more negative camber.

--DD

Just to be clear, if the top of the tire tips in; that's an indication of positive camber?

Kev
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 1 2012, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 1 2012, 08:28 PM) *

--DD

Just to be clear, if the top of the tire tips in; that's an indication of positive camber?

Kev

Nope, thats negative camber.

Positive is like old vw baja bugs... (top of the tire, leans outward)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 1 2012, 08:38 PM) *
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 1 2012, 08:35 PM) *

Nope, thats negative camber.

agree.gif
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
kconway
Great info, much appreciated! Last thing, should the car be set up neutral or biased positive or negative? I've got new shims but want to get it close so I can drive it to get it aligned.

Kev
EdwardBlume
It depends. If you are driving for street and longevity of tires, set it neutral. If you care less about the tires and want an aggressive street / AX / track stance, set it up for negative camber. On street and track I prefer the latter.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 2 2012, 05:53 AM) *
Last thing, should the car be set up neutral or biased positive or negative?

I would advise against a neutral or positive setup, even for a street driven car.
Our cars benefit from negative camber.

The max. you can get out of the stock setup is about -2 deg. in the rear. That would be running without any shims. However, for most street driven cars, this is too much.

I think the sweet spot for a street setup is somewhere between -0.5 and -1 degrees.
popcorn[1].gif
db9146
I have street tires on a lowered -6 for aggressive street driving. One side has -1.0 degree and the other has -1.8 degrees. Should I be moving towards -1.8 or -1.0 to even things out?

At alignment shop now!
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 9 2015, 11:47 AM) *

I have street tires on a lowered -6 for aggressive street driving. One side has -1.0 degree and the other has -1.8 degrees. Should I be moving towards -1.8 or -1.0 to even things out?

At alignment shop now!

db9146
Looks like -1.4 now on both sides.
db9146
Ok, dealing with a shop that is willing but not knowledgable on the 914. The tech is saying that there is too much toe-in on the drivers side and that despite trying to pry the trailing arm pivot mount out, he can't get any less toe.

If he now concentrates just on the front, he says that the total alignment will still be off since their Hunter machine keys off the rear wheels as well.
Dave_Darling
Hmm. Either the tech hasn't loosened the bolts holding the outer pivot onto the chassis enough, or the trailing arm or chassis are bent. sad.gif

--DD
karnak
during my polybronze bushing upgrade, one of my rear arms, i had to adjust the inner mount (hole) by filing one end longer and welding the other end to rebuild the proper dimension. i think i moved the hole almost 1/4 inch...all that to get 0 toe in.. i settled there. the other side was just fine. it may be possible that the jigiging and welding back in the day was not all that precise. running almost -2 camber on the rear. decent for autocross smile.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(karnak @ Sep 10 2015, 06:03 PM) *

during my polybronze bushing upgrade, one of my rear arms, i had to adjust the inner mount (hole) by filing one end longer and welding the other end to rebuild the proper dimension. i think i moved the hole almost 1/4 inch...all that to get 0 toe in.. i settled there. the other side was just fine. it may be possible that the jigiging and welding back in the day was not all that precise. running almost -2 camber on the rear. decent for autocross smile.gif

It has been mentioned on Pelican these cars aren't very accurate from side to side which considering how older cars were made it makes sense ,my car for instance has even gaps both sides on the rear 16X7'' Fuches,so maybe I'am lucky ? I also have reasonable clearance with the tyres @ ride height.
I'am going for max negative camber and not to worried about tyre wear .
By the way this is a useful thread and good info here beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
I didn't read the whole thread.
The axles aren't in the car yet ?
Are your rear hubs and stub axles tightened ?
If not don't roll the car.
And don't judge alignment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.