Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: asking the dumb questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rls43185
I have a 76 2.0l as far as I can tell it's stock. According to the owners manual it has an oil capacity of about 4 quarts and I should replace "dropped" oil with 3.2 quarts of fresh oil if I don't change the filter. I have ran the car for about 150 miles after a professional service, oil change. The mechanic noted that my oil leaks were minor and probably pushrod tube seals. Since then I ran the car hot, but not overheated, lets say after a few hours of desert driving it was at 90% on the temperature gauge. It normally runs about 50-75% but it was 95 degrees outside and I was running up a 10 mile 7% grade from Bullhead to Kingman. I thought I'd better check the oil after the hard hot run. I read a a few millimeters on the bottom of the dipstick after a 10 minute rest. (This is where I get dumb) I started adding oil and checking and felt that something wasn't right after adding 2 quarts. I did run the car home and let it rest for a good long time. I read the dipstick and saw that it was overfull. I dropped the oil and replaced with 3.2 qts per the manual. After a rest I checked it and the clean oil appeared to be just a fuzz above the high full mark. I cleaned all the grime and oil off the oil pan to help with yesterday's cooling issue. I ran the car hard today up old 66 from Kingman to Oatman. It's a workout of a road and the cleaning seemed to help as the thermostat indicated quicker abd better heat dissipation after high revs and steep grades. It would get just as hot under load, but it got rid of the heat better. After I was through I let it rest and checked the oil. It is leaking more noticably but not "Exxon Valdez". I read the same as yesterday. A few millimeters above the bottom of the stick. I added about 24 oz. and it raised it a bit but not as much as I expected and not to the full zone. So here's the dumb question if you're still awake: Is there a trick to checking oil in a 2.0L 4cyl while adding it or while it's warm? Any comments are greatly appreciated...and name calling is encouraged. Thanks biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
When running hot and after a "hard drive" stopping and running around and checking the oil level doesn't work too well. All the oil is mostly in the heads trying to flow back down into the oil sump. Stop and a gas station with a store, park on the level and go inside and buy a drink and take a few minutes to chill.
Then check the oil level.
Tom_T
Probably more like 30 mins in the desert & must be on dead level, speaking from experience having done the LA/OC to Parker run in 110 summer hear to water ski.

.... no .... not towing the boat, just joining others! biggrin.gif
rls43185
Thanks guys. If there is a golden dipstick award(no pun intended) I think I'll nominate my self! My oil is very clean and it is reading 1/2 way in the good zone after sitting overnight. I can guess that It may have been down around the low line and I just didn't look hard enough to see the level was coincident with the low line while at a "warm" rest. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.