Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This looks like a great idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
This guy has a good idea and I think I'm going to give this set up a shot, don't look like its to hard to do, and I like the idea of using a 911 temp gauge.
Brad Roberts
That is a lot of work considering they are bolt in from the correct gauge.

See one of LB (Rusty's) thread we had going yesterday about 911/914 gauges.

B
StratPlayer
meursault
Brad, that's a 2" VDO gauge fitting into the opening, not part of a 911 gauge. It's for those who need to have their numbers right side up.
Brad Roberts
I see it.. LOL

I forgot.. the needle sweep with numbers is very important..LOL

For cheap.. its the way to go.

B
StratPlayer
This set up would fit into the gauge with no modifications but the numbers would be sideways and the cost of this is around 80 bucks, as opposed to buying the other gauge for around 37 bucks or cheaper and doing a little modification to it and the numbers are correct in viewing,,, I'm going to give this a shot. I have a temp gauge in there now but without the numbers, rather have numbers that just a graph to view.
Demick
Here is my solution. Just a combo gauge from a 2.0 without center console. I calibrated the gauge by sticking a thermocouple down the dipstick hole, then removed the temp gauge and added appropriate stickers from a P-Touch labelmaker.

Demick
'74 2.0
JmuRiz
Demick, now THAT is cool! boldblue.gif

Nathan
Lawrence
That is pretty cool, Demick.

Numbers at the correct angle? Who needs that? ;-)

Actually, I'm going to have the gauge rescreened, so it could be written in roman numerals for all I care - as long as it's calibrated. smile.gif

-Rusty
Aaron Cox
hey what sender do you need to run a temp gauge- the one used for console cars? huh.gif
914werke
I was told wacko.gif that some model of 911 was equiped with the correct insert WITH right side up numbering ?
Which I have been looking for to replace my non-numbered gauge. The only solutions offered were use the sideways numbered guage (cheapbut would cause neck cramps) or send away to CA to have a (specific) shop re-screen (fairly expensive) icon8.gif
Was I led astray or does someone know a specific yr model 911 I should be sourcing?
BTW I dont like the VDO solution.
Rockaria
The whole idea behind the "PorBoy" Gauge pictured at the top was for savings of money. I had all the parts already:

2" VDO Gauge in My Center Console.
Calibrated Temp Sensor to the VDO gauge
Stock 1975 Fuel cluster
Wire

The needed extra 1975 Stock Red Blinker/Fuel Gauge cluster goes for around $20.00. So for 20 bucks and some time you can have a Temp Gauge in the fuel cluster.

I have noticed that any gauge 'PRE 75' will need to be drilled. Only the 1975 and 1976 914 fuel cluster gauges have the fuel sender plate part you need that is a direct fit to the new VDO Gauges.

Here is my original post at the pelican site on my idea for the gauge:

PorBoy Temp Gauge Information

I hope that helps a little,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.