Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Galvanized Steel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bulitt
Did you all know that Galvanized paint was invented back in 1830's, and galvanized metal has been discovered on some armor used in India in the 1700's! So I am assuming it was cost prohibited in the 1970's? Or was the steel used on the 914's galvanized but maybe the technique was not perfected. American cars were built with a predetermined life (planned obsolescence) so the consumer would buy new every several years. Porsche too? confused24.gif

Or maybe they were designed to be bio-degradable, a green product...
Tom_T
Porsche started hot dipping their cars in 1976 (not sure if it was only 77 MY 911/912E/924 or if 76 build 76 MY 911/912E as well), which unfortunately just missed ALL MYs of 914s, because the 76 MY 914s were actually built in the 1975 calendar year. I believe it was a matter of not adding to the overall production costs, lack of customer demand &/or knowledge about the benefits, unavailability of the materials &/or processes/machinery as a result of post-WWII shortages, the lack of European countries using salt on their roads in most cases during that period, or a combination of these.

Remember that German industrial capacity was utterly destroyed in WWII, and then 1/2 of the country was "lost" behind the Iron Curtain - e.g.: Porsche started 356 production outside of Stuttgart in Austria; & BMW's pre/during-WWII plant was lost to the other side & they had to relocate & rebuild in Munich). So the German mfgrs. were literally pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps (with help from the Marshall Plan), and incrementally getting back to being top manufacturers.

But the zinc coatings & galvanizing was only part of the rust story on Porsches & other German cars from that period, as the steel - both in the various steel alloys' composition & raw materials used played a big factor. According to my one Grandfather who had worked at J&L Steel in Pittsburgh PA as an industrial engineer - and who used to lecture me on my 914's inferior steel - post WWII German steel up through the mid-1970's at least, was generally considered inferior to USA steel alloys & quality within each type, mainly due to the higher scrap (recycled) steel content.

And so all 1940s-70's European cars were considered by many in the auto industry to be even more rust prone than their US built contemporaries for the steel alone - aside from galvanizing. Once a few mfgrs. started galvanizing (incl. any of hot dip, spray paint, electroplating, etc.), then everybody jumped on the bandwagon to do it. I think it was the hot dip process & tanks in the assy. line which made it feasible production time-wise & economically viable to rust treat the metals.

Also IIRC, old school galvanized steel is made more brittle for panel stamping & prone to have the galvanization chip off, as well as being toxic when subjected to welding (perhaps more important in the days when people did the welding on bodies - not robots).

Anyway, that's my take on it!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bulitt
I took a tour of the Beth Steel Burns Harbor facility back @ 1993. The galvanization process is really neat. Miles of sheet steel going over rollers, into baths, through ovens, dryers and finally winding onto coils!!! Never stopping, being cut on the fly!
Tom_T
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 2 2012, 12:44 PM) *

I took a tour of the Beth Steel Burns Harbor facility back @ 1993. The galvanization process is really neat. Miles of sheet steel going over rollers, into baths, through ovens, dryers and finally winding onto coils!!! Never stopping, being cut on the fly!

The huge Bessemer Furnaces were truly awe inspiring too! blink.gif
... especially to a 9 year old back in the late 50's!

That was when they were switching over to gas fired from coal, & my Grandfather showed me around. He used to have to have 2 white shirts a day in the coal fired days, one worn in am, other on hanger to change in pm! Many days were pitch black like midnight - at Noon!!!! huh.gif

I remember earning a quarter daily to sweep coal ash off the sidewalk in from of my grandmother's shop in Mt. Lebanon (Pittsburgh suburb) up to 63 when we moved to San Diego! biggrin.gif
bulitt
They had a catwalk about 30 yards from the conveyor. The hot ingots would come out and head into the rollers for flattening. The heat at 30yds was almost unbearable.
Black914_4
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 2 2012, 03:11 PM) *

as well as being toxic when subjected to welding (perhaps more important in the days when people did the welding on bodies - not robots).

Tom
///////

Important now if any body plans on welding any of it. I've had to do it before. Just want to meantion that for any new welders that might not know.

Matt
Tom_T
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 2 2012, 02:13 PM) *

as well as being toxic when subjected to welding (perhaps more important in the days when people did the welding on bodies - not robots).

Tom
///////

Important now if any body plans on welding any of it. I've had to do it before. Just want to meantion that for any new welders that might not know.

Matt

"On the nosey" Matt -

I just assumed that folks would figure out that it's still an issue with welding GI today, but it never hurts to drive home the point directly! poke.gif ....so to speak! biggrin.gif

Thanx! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 2 2012, 01:33 PM) *

They had a catwalk about 30 yards from the conveyor. The hot ingots would come out and head into the rollers for flattening. The heat at 30yds was almost unbearable.

Ditto with those huge Bessemers from an even greater distance.

That's how & why those steelworkers way up north in Pittsburgh always looked "tannned" - even in winter! biggrin.gif

.... complete with the "raccoon eyes" from their goggles! blink.gif
Black914_4
" never under estimate the power of human stupidity " biggrin.gif

J/K
But I did want to say that just in case. Someone might be new to welding and want to use some on their car or something. I'm a certified welder, but someone working on their car on the weekends might not know.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 2 2012, 11:11 AM) *
Remember that German industrial capacity was utterly destroyed in WWII

Actually, most of it was "exported" to the 4 countries that won the war. Where do you think your moon rocket came from?
rolleyes.gif

And using WW2 as some sort of argument related to car production in the early seventies is a moot point since the German industry had long since recovered.

Do a search for "Wirtschaftswunder" on Google to get your timeline straight.
popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 2 2012, 10:11 AM) *

Porsche started hot dipping their cars in 1976 (not sure if it was only 77 MY 911/912E/924 or if 76 build 76 MY 911/912E as well), which unfortunately just missed ALL MYs of 914s, because the 76 MY 914s were actually built in the 1975 calendar year. I believe it was a matter of not adding to the overall production costs, lack of customer demand &/or knowledge about the benefits, unavailability of the materials &/or processes/machinery as a result of post-WWII shortages, the lack of European countries using salt on their roads in most cases during that period, or a combination of these.

Remember that German industrial capacity was utterly destroyed in WWII, and then 1/2 of the country was "lost" behind the Iron Curtain - e.g.: Porsche started 356 production outside of Stuttgart in Austria; & BMW's pre/during-WWII plant was lost to the other side & they had to relocate & rebuild in Munich). So the German mfgrs. were literally pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps (with help from the Marshall Plan), and incrementally getting back to being top manufacturers.

But the zinc coatings & galvanizing was only part of the rust story on Porsches & other German cars from that period, as the steel - both in the various steel alloys' composition & raw materials used played a big factor. According to my one Grandfather who had worked at J&L Steel in Pittsburgh PA as an industrial engineer - and who used to lecture me on my 914's inferior steel - post WWII German steel up through the mid-1970's at least, was generally considered inferior to USA steel alloys & quality within each type, mainly due to the higher scrap (recycled) steel content.

And so all 1940s-70's European cars were considered by many in the auto industry to be even more rust prone than their US built contemporaries for the steel alone - aside from galvanizing. Once a few mfgrs. started galvanizing (incl. any of hot dip, spray paint, electroplating, etc.), then everybody jumped on the bandwagon to do it. I think it was the hot dip process & tanks in the assy. line which made it feasible production time-wise & economically viable to rust treat the metals.

Also IIRC, old school galvanized steel is made more brittle for panel stamping & prone to have the galvanization chip off, as well as being toxic when subjected to welding (perhaps more important in the days when people did the welding on bodies - not robots).

Anyway, that's my take on it!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Actually Tom, whole bodies started being galvanized in 1975. Prior to that certain panels were. Ther is a thread somewhere on Pelican about this
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2012, 12:09 PM) *

Actually, most of it was "exported" to the 4 countries that won the war. Where do you think your moon rocket came from?
rolleyes.gif

And using WW2 as some sort of argument related to car production in the early seventies is a moot point since the German industry had long since recovered.

Do a search for "Wirtschaftswunder" on Google to get your timeline straight.
popcorn[1].gif

Actually Andy, during the 60's Porsche was still considered a small niche producer, and depended upon mass producer VW to market their P-cars up until the 914 came out in 69, and then VOA (VW of Amearica) & Porsche opened dedicated Porsche+Audi (or Porsche|Audi in some logos & signs) dealerships for the 70 MY here in the USA.

BMW, VW & Porsche in the 60's were then just coming into their own, especially relative to the Big 3 auto mfgrs., so some of their production lines were still in the process of upgrading during the 1970's - including my example of Porsche adding the hot dip tanks in their plant for the 76 MY P-cars.

You see, I don't have to "Google" it, because I was alive & cognizant then as a teen in the 60's & young man in the 70's!! poke.gif biggrin.gif

I just have a different opinion than you, that the post-war recovery was a moot point in 1972 or 76! You should also note that I also presented that as only part of the several reasons as to why they weren't zinc treated before `76.

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 3 2012, 11:42 AM) *

" never under estimate the power of human stupidity " biggrin.gif

J/K
But I did want to say that just in case. Someone might be new to welding and want to use some on their car or something. I'm a certified welder, but someone working on their car on the weekends might not know.

agree.gif

Likewise, the old school 60's-70's & earlier method of tack welding wire mesh to the backside of panels & then "Leading" or "dipping" is very dangerous & little done today because of the toxic lead fumes from the molten lead.

.... and you think lead containing paint on a house is bad! icon8.gif

Anyone leading seams or patches today should use appropriate gear & precautions, as I recall seeing guys wearing in the Porsche Classics "resto factory" pix of that 911T which was restored for PCA's member raffle last year, when they were leading the seams.
Tom_T
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 3 2012, 12:20 PM) *

Actually Tom, whole bodies started being galvanized in 1975. Prior to that certain panels were. Ther is a thread somewhere on Pelican about this

Scotty,

I hadn't heard about other Porsche models' bodies - 911s/912Es - being dipped in 75, other than for the 76 MY production (i.e.: during July or Aug. 75 on).

AFAIK none of the 914 bodies were treated, but then they were produced at the Karmann plant.

Were any of the certain panels which were zinc treated prior for 914s, that you mentioned?

I'd like to read that Pelican topic on it, if anyone has the link? confused24.gif
scotty b
AFAIK no 914 panels were treated, only the 911's. Then starting with the 924 and on,all were dipped

Here's the link. Also note the talk about the stamping oil actually being burned off of the cars in a furnace prior to paint. blink.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...1s-history.html

My 73 911 still has original lfoors in it with factory paint. Maybe for S&G I'll strip a spot one afternoon and see if the metal under the paint is indeed galvanized
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 3 2012, 03:35 PM) *

AFAIK no 914 panels were treated, only the 911's. Then starting with the 924 and on,all were dipped

Here's the link. Also note the talk about the stamping oil actually being burned off of the cars in a furnace prior to paint. blink.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...1s-history.html

My 73 911 still has original lfoors in it with factory paint. Maybe for S&G I'll strip a spot one afternoon and see if the metal under the paint is indeed galvanized

Quoted from Pelican - The '72 does have a galvanized tub even though the body panels are not. I removed the kidney-shaped rocker support and the targa bar filler plate, which were rusted to bits, from the tub and the tub was pristine. I was very impressed. Too bad the body panels didn't get the same treatment.

That's really interesting, and consistent with what I've seen, too. It's one reason to avoid the Karmann built cars, and all 911s built before 1970. (1970 and 1971 Porsche built cars had the zinc coated panels, whereas the Karmann built cars did not, probably because of the different welding methods needed with the zinc coated panels.)

By the way, it's a hot dip zinc coating, not an electrolytically applied coating, so it's not really "galvanizing," to the best of my understanding.
McMark
I think it only had to do with dollars. The 914 was a economy car, was built to be cheap and not intended to last 40 years. They could have made it out of stainless steel too. But that wouldn't pass the accountants either. wink.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 3 2012, 01:35 PM) *

I think it only had to do with dollars. The 914 was a economy car, was built to be cheap and not intended to last 40 years. They could have made it out of stainless steel too. But that wouldn't pass the accountants either. wink.gif

Ooooohhh.....now there's an idea, an all SS replacement 914 body-in-white! idea.gif

Oooops, There I go again! poke.gif laugh.gif

Thanx Scotty, I'll read up on that link tonight when I have more time, gotta run!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 3 2012, 12:21 PM) *
You see, I don't have to "Google" it, because I was alive & cognizant then as a teen in the 60's & young man in the 70's!!
I just have a different opinion than you, that the post-war recovery was a moot point in 1972 or 76!

I grew up in Germany during the 60s and 70s.

Your opinion does not reflect reality.
shades.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2012, 02:52 PM) *

You see, I don't have to "Google" it, because I was alive & cognizant then as a teen in the 60's & young man in the 70's!!
I just have a different opinion than you, that the post-war recovery was a moot point in 1972 or 76!

shades.gif

76-914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 2 2012, 02:13 PM) *

Tom
///////

Matt

I thought that's why God gave us milk. dry.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2012, 12:09 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Your right, Andy. And if you don't believe it, one should visit White Sands Museum on the range. I remember walking down the hall and it being lined w/ B&W pic's of all these German scientists. I also remember that many names appeared to be of Jewish origin. Perhaps Her Hitler looked the other way. shades.gif But Andy's right. I didn't see a Smith, Jones or Williams anywhere in there. av-943.gif Just for the record. It was an Englishman (an Army Major, IIRC) that got VW up and running after the war.
Eric_Shea
My MY1971 911 has the bottom of the tub galvanized. So there...
rick 918-S
I've had galv poisoning. icon8.gif It's not fun and it accumulative. Once you get it you get easier the next time. Either don't weld it or only welding in a very well vented area with saftey equipment.
nathansnathan
One of the replacement panels I got from Restoration design, a passenger inner fender well, was I think galvanized.

I bead blasted the primer off, sanded it with 180 grit, cleaned it with acetone, and it looked like clean bare steel, but tig welded it and it got all yellow powder.

I had to take a course wire wheel on an angle grinder to get past what looked like electroplating, some kind of metal all coating both sides. It took hours.

Seems pretty dumb, to galvanize a replacement panel that is going to have to be welded in.
Scott S
Rick -
Is "aluminized" the same as galvanized? I need to do some exhaust work and grabbed a few different pieces of exhaust tubing at one of the usual auto parts chains. Will this get me sick?
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2012, 03:52 PM) *

shades.gif

Being in diapers doesn't count! poke.gif biggrin.gif

I also studied it in macro-economics in college in 1970-74, so it may just reflect an American econ bias vs. German national pride! flag.gif icon_bump.gif smilie_flagge6.gif

No personal affront nor negative intended Andy.

But Porsche was & to an extent still is a niche, and as someone noted above & at that Pelican topic on galvanized 911s, the Karmann plant apparently wasn't equipped to weld the GI steel & so didn't galvanize them for their production.

Unless we go ask the heads of production from then - if they're still alive & if they still remember the details - we probably won't know the exact reason(s) & can only postulate.

BTW - I watched every live televised NASA launch & those by the USAF & Army which were on the news delayed broadcast in the 50's thru to the final Apollo mission, so I'm fully aware of Von Braun's & his countrymen's contributions here & in the USSR to the space & missile programs, and it kept them all out of the post-war war crimes trials. FYI - there were also Americans doing parallel & contributing R&D to that effort, so it wasn't an all German scientist/engineer show. Just so we're clear on that prior comment of yours.
shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 4 2012, 05:26 PM) *

One of the replacement panels I got from Restoration design, a passenger inner fender well, was I think galvanized.

I bead blasted the primer off, sanded it with 180 grit, cleaned it with acetone, and it looked like clean bare steel, but tig welded it and it got all yellow powder.

I had to take a course wire wheel on an angle grinder to get past what looked like electroplating, some kind of metal all coating both sides. It took hours.

Seems pretty dumb, to galvanize a replacement panel that is going to have to be welded in.

Are you sure it's galvanized or just guessing?
Tom_T
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 4 2012, 02:26 PM) *

Nathan,

It's not dumb, because the entire sheet before stamping, or the part after stamping, would be hot dipped or otherwise treated as a whole - they cannot "not treat" only the edges where it would be welded.

That panel of yours - if galvanized or other rust preventative treatment - would protect it from future rust. Most shops scuff off the treatment/coating in the area to be welded only & leave the rest, and then re-coat the welded area afterwards to protect it too from rust in the future.

I think that's what Rick, Mark, Scotty would say that they do.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 4 2012, 03:47 PM) *

I know i still look young when in reality i'm not, so i'm taking that as a compliment.
piratenanner.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 4 2012, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 4 2012, 03:47 PM) *

I know i still look young when in reality i'm not, so i'm taking that as a compliment.
piratenanner.gif

You've hung together well, my man! biggrin.gif
... especially for almost 100! blink.gif
..... or was 1914 in your prior life? confused24.gif
BTW - I know - one914....

Hopefully it all doesn't go south when you really hit the big 6-oh! poke.gif
balljoint
mellow.gif
MDG
Hey, Dave.
JeffBowlsby
Its a subtle but important distinction, but the chassis cannot be 'hot dipped' post assembly.

I seriously doubt the chassis were 'hot dipped' galvanized post assembly. If so, the seams between separate sheet metal pieces would be filled with zinc, and thats not the case. More importantly the hot dip process involves dipping in molten metal heated to over 800F, and that process easily distorts thin sheet metal. I have seen post-galvanized steel 1/8 in thick in my architectural work be distorted in this process and it is also a very rough surface exactly like a hot dip galvy nail - not acceptable for an automotive surface.

Rather, hot-dipped galvanized sheet metal is manufactured in various zinc coating millages where the heat distortion and surfacing smoothness process is managed and can be controlled.
scotty b
mellow.gif
zymurgist
“Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft, and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.”
~ Wernher von Braun
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 4 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Nathan,

It's not dumb, because the entire sheet before stamping, or the part after stamping, would be hot dipped or otherwise treated as a whole - they cannot "not treat" only the edges where it would be welded.

That panel of yours - if galvanized or other rust preventative treatment - would protect it from future rust. Most shops scuff off the treatment/coating in the area to be welded only & leave the rest, and then re-coat the welded area afterwards to protect it too from rust in the future.

I think that's what Rick, Mark, Scotty would say that they do.

Click to view attachment
On certain parts it just doesn't make sense. The factory welded this bit in 53 spots. The heat spreads like an inch radius from each weld so there's not going to be a lot of galvanization left, just contaminated welds and toxic gas. smile.gif It was definitely some kind of plating, definitely metallic. Here I was ready to weld, having bead blasted and sanded everything to metal, but clean as it looks, there is another layer that needs to come off in this pic. I should have got some pictures of the yellow crap.
Click to view attachment
mikea100
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 4 2012, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 4 2012, 05:26 PM) *

Are you sure it's galvanized or just guessing?

Restoration-Design panels made of galvaneel steel, see 4th post from the top
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...45738&st=40

scotty b
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 4 2012, 05:33 PM) *

“Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft, and the only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.”
~ Wernher von Braun

Yeah but who built that spacecraft ? Germans, 'Mericans, or the Engrish ?

And was it galvanized ? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.