Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever replaced the relay board with battery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pktzygt
I had an idea while brainstorming on how to run wires to the 14 pin connector on my suby swap.

My intercooler occupies the space where my battery tray once was before I replaced the suspension console. Why shouldn't I mount my optima where the relay board is on the other side?

It should fit, right? Anyone ever done this? I don't have the motor in the car at the moment. Can a suby guy give me your take on this?

I have the male 14-pin connector to bypass the relay board anyway (still trying to figure that one out). It's probably incredibly simple and I'll figure it out, but the only thing that is confusing me right now is the backup lights.
jsayre914
I fit one on that side.

Click to view attachment

Actually I have one on both sides rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

happy11.gif

pktzygt
Big stereo?

Thanks, did you bypass the relay board completely through the 14 pin connector?
Strudelwagon
happy11.gif Anyone smell smoke? Kidding!
pktzygt
There shouldn't be any smoke. (famous last words)

I've put a fuse on the main wire from the battery. The coils and fuel pump are on their own relays. I'm not going to bother with the rear defroster for now and I don't think I need anything else.

I will get back to my wire diagram studies later to figure out what I need to do to connect the reverse lights to the main harness at the 14 pin connector.

The 914 wiring diagrams take some getting used to. I can navigate through thousands of pages of diagrams for a submarine mainframe sonar system, but 2 pages of 914 diagrams and I can't even find or figure out the relay board.
ruby914
I removed the relay board.
14 pin connector? Best I can recall, there was only two wires, if that, that needed to pass through.
pktzygt
Thanks ruby914, that pic helps. What car did you get that coolant overflow bottle out of?

I think those wires were brown and black stripe if I remember correctly.
ruby914
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Apr 3 2012, 08:49 AM) *

Thanks ruby914, that pic helps. What car did you get that coolant overflow bottle out of?

I think those wires were brown and black stripe if I remember correctly.

The coolant overflow bottle confused24.gif. Sorry, so many trips to the Pick-a Part there is no telling. It may be some year Suby? I scan for 914's and Suby's first after that what ever looks good.
pktzygt
I just took a peek at the harness and realized that the reverse switch is with the motor I sold years ago. I guess I'm going to to the junkyard to pull one.
pktzygt
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Apr 3 2012, 11:29 AM) *

14 pin connector? Best I can recall, there was only two wires, if that, that needed to pass through.

What does the silver pipe go to?

pktzygt

I was also wondering where the three coolant lines out of the cap connect. I mean, which one goes to to overflow, and such
ruby914
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Apr 3 2012, 10:23 AM) *

I was also wondering where the three coolant lines out of the cap connect. I mean, which one goes to to overflow, and such

Silver pipe is the hot air blower from hell.
From 944 blower to heater core into both longs.
Some people think you don't need a heater in California but winter drives home at night, with out the Targa top, are just not the same with out a good heater.

Coolant line are from bottom clockwise: Overflow, radiator burp and (best I recall) turbo.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Apr 4 2012, 12:03 AM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Apr 3 2012, 10:23 AM) *

Silver pipe is the hot air blower from hell.
From 944 blower to heater core into both longs.
Some people think you don't need a heater in California but winter drives home at night, with out the Targa top, are just not the same with out a good heater.

Coolant line are from bottom clockwise: Overflow, radiator burp and (best I recall) turbo.

lol-2.gif HOT AIR BLOWER FROM HELL lol-2.gif your killin me man
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.