Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happens when you put a Can Am car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_DOFc1yCY

The Shadow is one fast little puppy.

Might have been a bit more fun after the tires got some heat in them.

BTW does anyone know where this event was run in Fresno. Nice big surface there.
neilca
Dang that's wrassling a bear in a phone booth
carr914
I want my 6 minutes back
Rand
Skip directly to the 3 minute mark.
(I wish someone would tell him about Youtube's video editor...It would only take him a few seconds to trim the first half of that video off.)
J P Stein
That is a video definition of "point & squirt". On a venue like El Toro on one of their "big iron" courses that car would be formidable......but the driver would still have to learn how to drive AX. As is, "a bear in a phone booth" is an apt description.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 3 2012, 12:01 PM) *

I want my 6 minutes back

I think I agree. smile.gif

What is up with the rolling start on the second run?

Richard
Randal
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Apr 3 2012, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 3 2012, 12:01 PM) *

I want my 6 minutes back

I think I agree. smile.gif

What is up with the rolling start on the second run?

Richard

They were just demo runs.

The guy with the Can Am car (Shadow) must be in their club and he brought the car as a treat for the members.

Still wish I knew which club was running the event.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 3 2012, 09:32 AM) *

That is a video definition of "point & squirt". On a venue like El Toro on one of their "big iron" courses that car would be formidable......but the driver would still have to learn how to drive AX. As is, "a bear in a phone booth" is an apt description.

+1

That V8 spooled up pretty quick IMHO.
Cracker
OK. I want my 3 minutes back...that was a joke. Wrong car / wrong venue.
URY914
Lame. dry.gif
BMXerror
I don't think that would comply with the 100db sound limit down in San Diego.
I saw that car in person at Laguna Seca a couple years ago and got some awesome paddock warmup video of it. Brutal car!
I can't say I would do any better running the cones with 800+ hp in a titanium go kart.
Mark D.
grantsfo
That was my favorite Can Am car. I was in can am pits at Laguna Seca when I was about 10 when that car was running.

http://www.vintagerpm.com/can-am-history-of-shadow/

New owner has more money than driving skills but cool he hauled that true vintage classic to an AX. With right tires and driver that car could be brutal.

Not as cool as the 908 that showed up at Marina ax event a few years ago.

That looks like Castle AFB where Fresno runs occasionally.
J P Stein
Yeah, lame.....I'll bet you wouldn't say that ifn' you were out workin'
that course when he punched it bout 20 feet away. w00t.gif

A Can Am 7-8L chebbie is a earth shaker.
I'd even put up with a GGR AX to see that.
Here's the last one I saw....in it's element on the track at PIR.
bulitt
I'm thinking Sammy Swindell in his dirt car would be fun to watch in an ax event. As long as all the turns were left hand.
URY914
There is a video of a guy running an ex-F1 car in an a/x somewhere on Youtube. He did a much better job.
andys
That car is completely out of its element on an AX course, but it interesting nevertheless. I remember that car at Riverside Int'l Raceway (maybe '70 or '71). In those days you could walk the pits and talk to the drivers in an almost a club race like atmousphere. I saw all the big name drivers; I particularly remember George Follmer standing next to his 917 with one foot on the left front fender; I took a photo and wished him well.

Andys
Randal
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 4 2012, 08:42 AM) *

That car is completely out of its element on an AX course, but it interesting nevertheless. I remember that car at Riverside Int'l Raceway (maybe '70 or '71). In those days you could walk the pits and talk to the drivers in an almost a club race like atmousphere. I saw all the big name drivers; I particularly remember George Follmer standing next to his 917 with one foot on the left front fender; I took a photo and wished him well.

Andys

That car was up at Infineon a few years ago and they were giving rides for charity for $100.00. At that same event I went for a ride in a Lola Can Am car. Did 4 laps at Infineon. The acceleration was unbelievable, the cornering not as impressive, but I fugured the driver didn't want to wad up his car during a charity event even though I told him to go as fast as he wanted.

I almost selected the Shadow for my ride, but went for the Lola.
Bullethead
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 3 2012, 10:17 PM) *

New owner has more money than driving skills but cool he hauled that true vintage classic to an AX. With right tires and driver that car could be brutal.

agree.gif

About the first part but not so sure about the second, it's just not suited to AX.

EDIT: My bad, the vid features a different car than the Mk 1 pictured below which was driven by Vic Elford. The guy that owns it has been to plenty of
events with it including Goodwood in 2008. It looks like he straps it on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/antsphoto/2671437443/

Click to view attachment
URY914
There were several Shadow Can-Am cars over the years. All very different.
Andyrew
That was Def castle airforce base, and only ONE club is doing that and its fresno SCCA.
Andyrew
Last time I raced @ castle...

http://www.myspace.com/video/14884854/auto...4-1-8t/33637019

carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 4 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Yep, Every Year Nichols would come out with something new to battle the McLaren juggernaut. Some were really cool, though even as a Kid I thought that one in the picture a few Posts back looked Dangerous (Driver exposed to everything)
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 4 2012, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 4 2012, 03:52 PM) *

even as a Kid I thought that one looked Dangerous (Driver exposed to everything)

Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
stownsen914
Talk about bringing a hammer to a fly swatting contest ...

Some of the Shadow Can Am cars were really nice looking race cars.

Scott
stownsen914
Notice the high tech Radio Flyer pit cart smile.gif

QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 4 2012, 07:46 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.