Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tailshifter linkage rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dknechtly
On my tailshifter, I've replaced all the bushings and tightened up as much as possible. The end of my linkage where it actually hooks in to the transmission is pretty worn. Does anyone rebuild them? Does anyone know the original measurements? Thanks.
Prospectfarms
I've made similar inquirys and there was no information. It may be a silk purse/sow's ear issue: I've received advice from several knowledgable people that it would be more worthwhile to pursue a side-shift conversion. Of course, like you, I'd already invested in new bushings and install.
Dr Evil
I have never heard of a place. Sorry.
Dave_Darling
If you know someone with a welder and a file....

--DD
Prospectfarms
There's a thread in this forum where the poster's buddy welded and ground the ball and cage back into shape. Maybe not too hard, especially if you had access to an oxy acetylene welder. No specs, however.

You should know that on the other side of the shaft entering the transmission is another ball and cage linkage that is also prone to similar wear pattern. On a different thread, someone else reported that they too built - up and ground their linkage but still had crappy shifting because of this.

I think the worst thing about the wear is it reduces the linkage adjustment tolerance-- makes it harder to adjust Ordered Dr. Evil's tranny DVD and did some basic cleaning and internal adjustment -- it helped.
luskesq
Pelican has a discussion in one of their tech articles about restoring the tailshift linkage. As to the "ball & cage", I did some judicious welding on the ball, followed up with a file & dremel to round it out. Also replaced all bushings, shifter cup, the two pivot balls (although probably didn't need to), and repaired the guide plate inside the shifter. Although a tailshift will never be as precise as in my Toyota, I don't have any problem with finding my gears and it shifts smooth. Not a difficult project.

Keith
ape914
You could sleave it with some thin wall tube and then bore out the plastic bushing to fit.

You could rough up the surface and try an epoxy like JB weld then sand it down to shape, may not last long, but might be worth trying???? i know it sounds tacky, but sometimes the epoxy will work wonders. It is cheap and easy to try and if it dont end up working, just sand it back off and your back to where you started, no loss. Go for a metal filled epoxy for good wear resistance.

You could turn it down and then use a undersized bushing.

you can search for a good used one also.

also with all the other bushings in top shape now, you may find the shifting is good enough even with this piece worn. i had the same thing, and after all the bushings were replaced, it shifted good enough even with the worn down shaft.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(dknechtly @ Apr 3 2012, 04:47 PM) *

On my tailshifter, I've replaced all the bushings and tightened up as much as possible. The end of my linkage where it actually hooks in to the transmission is pretty worn. Does anyone rebuild them? Does anyone know the original measurements? Thanks.

I have several tail shift cones. If you could post a picture, maybe I have one in better shape. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.