Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asking before I start ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973-914-2L
Still working on going thru my new to me 1973 914 2.0 liter and have a few ??'s

I am going to dropping the engine in order to clean up the back wall and the hell hole section .. have to cut out a small rust section and patch then paint ...

Question is .. what else should I do "while I am in there" planning to do an oil change .. tranny fluid change(is swepco 201 correct for this ??) valve adjustment ... tune up and swap out the single carb for the dual webers...

If there are any recommendations such as plug type, fluid commentary, etc it would be greatly appreciated ...

I had planned swepco for the tranny, Valvoline Vr1 20/50 w/ zddp and a Mahle filter
those are the same fluids i use in my 911 and I think are correct for the 914 ..

Also when pulling engine/tranny on the 911 I use a motorcycle jack and crib it to hold thins right .. anyone use these to pull the engine/tranny ?? and if so any pics for cradle ???
dlee6204
If you have any oil leaks, fix em.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Apr 3 2012, 05:48 PM) *

Still working on going thru my new to me 1973 914 2.0 liter and have a few ??'s

I am going to dropping the engine in order to clean up the back wall and the hell hole section .. have to cut out a small rust section and patch then paint ...

Question is .. what else should I do "while I am in there" planning to do an oil change .. tranny fluid change(is swepco 201 correct for this ??) valve adjustment ... tune up and swap out the single carb for the dual webers...

If there are any recommendations such as plug type, fluid commentary, etc it would be greatly appreciated ...

I had planned swepco for the tranny, Valvoline Vr1 20/50 w/ zddp and a Mahle filter
those are the same fluids i use in my 911 and I think are correct for the 914 ..

Also when pulling engine/tranny on the 911 I use a motorcycle jack and crib it to hold thins right .. anyone use these to pull the engine/tranny ?? and if so any pics for cradle ???

What I've used forever is a simple creeper (low rise), with an additional 2x4 brace at the center. I do remover the exhaust sytem prior & lower the motor/trans assy slowly & centered on the creeper. Balance the load as you remove it on a hydraulic jack, roll it out & gently glide the creeper/engine/trans assy to the ground. Usually have a bud/wife keep things stable. Works for me.

While the motor is out, dump that carb & find the proper injection parts. I hate carbs? But that's just me.
tod914
While the motor is out, you might want to do push rod tube & oil cooler seals.
Prospectfarms
I have no opinion on the subject but thought you would like to see this recent thread concerning synthetic gear oil and swepco in particular: Synthetic oil?
1973-914-2L
[/quote]
While the motor is out, dump that carb & find the proper injection parts. I hate carbs? But that's just me.
[/quote]
when I got the car all the injection was gone already .. a single carb set up installed .. found a set of Weber's 40 IDF w manifolds and linkage in the trunk .. engine was rebuilt and I believe the cam changed .. so going back to injection would not be financially reasonable for this car .. I do understand a proper running injection system would be best but not in this case ...
EdwardBlume
Inspect the rear suspension console... dog ears..
Inspect your brake lines
Check your firewall and shift bushings
Look for oil leaks. Clean your engine.
Carefully inspect your fuel lines.. make sure you have the right fuel pressure psi rated lines and the correct clamps...
Look at your wiring for any cracks or rust.. handle it carefully. Clean your grounds.

I'm not sure Swepco tranny oil is required for your 901, but I use it for my race car engine oil.

Take your time and make sure you can put everything back the way you took it apart...

Have FUN!

TheCabinetmaker
Do a search here on the swepco. You might change your mind. I would also seriously look at replacing the fuel lines in the tunnel. Speaking of fuel lines, be sure to label the feed and return lines so you get them hooked back up properly. Good time to clean, inspect, and repack the cv's. Pull the two cylinder tins and clean the debris from the cylinders. You can also check the oil cooler for leaks with the tins off.
Prospectfarms
Pull the two cylinder tins and clean the debris from the cylinders.

agree.gif
Cooling tin is excellent nut, washer, paper, chipmunk and mouse habitat. I know....
rwilner
If pulling the engine is (planned to be) an infrequent thing for you, I'd recommend:
  • replace your shift bushings -- firewall and console ones
  • repack all 4 CV joints, replace the boots, schnorr washers, bolts if needed, gaskets
  • replace as many of the intake seals on the engine as you can easily get to
  • replace the cheesehead screws that secure the tin to the block with stainless socket head cap screws
  • replace the engine bay fuel line with 30R9 that will stand up to ethanol better
  • if needed, replace your clutch cable...you can tell if it needs replacement if the PO stacked 15 washers on the transmission end to get it positioned correctly

The four most deadly words for any teener owner: "while I'm in there"

have fun!!
Rich
1973-914-2L
That's the type of stuff I am looking for ...

For the Transmission what is typicality recommended ?? swepco for the 915 is the answer to prayers it seems .. but evidently not the 901 ...

Also thanks for the advise on the bushings and fuel lines etc...

Other recommendations are appreciated ...

Thanks for the advise ..

Steve
JRust
I would replace your fuel lines to the tank with SS ones! There are a few member Vendors that sell them
rwilner
I believe both the 915 and the 901 use the servo-style synchros, so I would think they'd react similarly to transmission oil formulations.

Do searches hear for "swepco" for pages and pages of debate.

Richard Casto has a great article on transmission oil. I'm running FLAPS dino 80w90 GL5 (Catrol Hypoy C I think) and it's working fine. I think the most important thing is to use fresh, clean oil, make sure you have enough oil in the box, and change it regularly.
1973-914-2L
Did some reading on the transmission oil debate .. need to find an aspirin my head hurts ... seems one other thing the 914 has in common with the 911 .. a lot of opinions on fluids ... looks like the standard gl-5 is the consensus and that the 20/50 w zddp is the choice in motor oil ....

Thanks for the recommendation and suggestions ... They are appreciated ... any more please chime in ...

newhere.gif still
euro911
Don't forget to inspect the engine bay seals (and replace as needed). A lot of them have sections missing and/or are cracked and brittle from decades of engine heat. They should be complete, soft and pliable.

Make sure the seal's lips are pulled under the cooling tin correctly after you re-install the engine. I've seen a lot of folks just jack the engine up into place and never get the sealing right. It's important to keep your engine running cool. Mark at 914rubber.com sells nice repros at a great price.

If the cam isn't too radical, you might still be able to install a FI system, but not knowing the cam's profile (engine tear-down required) you might experience difficulty tuning the FI properly. Since you've got a set, I'd go with the dual carbs until you need to rebuild the engine ... then you can decide what cam and induction system you want to go with confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.