Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok, so why shouldn't I buy the eBay high torque starter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-MINI-S...0-/320876346678

"Units now come supplied with alignment shim. Not required on most applications, but if alignment issue between pinion gear and flywheel comes up, then this will eliminate your issue."

I remember this being an issue sometime back. It's half the price of the units PP carry. Sell me one way or the other please! beer3.gif

My starter has been getting worse. Today it fused stuck! Had to put the car in gear, get a rolling start and pop the clutch to get the starter to break free. This has been a long time coming. I've been nursing old starters along for a 15 years. smile.gif
Black22
No reason IMO. I have run that one for over a year with the shim and recently rebuilt my engine. There was no indication of wear on the flywheel teeth that suggested it was not working properly.
I think SLITS has another vendor that sells basically the same thing. Maybe he'll chime in.
The only thing I noticed is it definitely sounds alot different when turning the engine over. The sound made me nervous until I got used to it and saw the flywheel was not harmed.
Car starts first time every time now.
RoadGlue
I'm chomp chomp chomping at the bit. Thanks for the info! I may just have to buy it right now! smile.gif
RoadGlue
Done. smile.gif

Thanks again!
Elliot Cannon
I had one that lasted about a year. FWIW
RoadGlue
Anything special about the motor? High compression, or six?
BMXerror
I've had mine for about 4 years. CNCed a shim for it myself. I've abused the crap out of it while the D-Jet was giving me hassles, and it still gives me no troubles. FWIW
Mark D.
Dr Evil
Oh, dont buy that one! There is another similar one that is better and the same price headbang.gif
Dr Evil
Just kidding smile.gif
McMark
I've found all the starter manufacturers (high torque and stock) are a bit hit-and-miss. I don't think you made a bad choice. It may crap out on you shortly, or it may last forever. But I would say the same thing about a Bosch.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 3 2012, 07:07 PM) *

Oh, dont buy that one! There is another similar one that is better and the same price headbang.gif

Awesome.
bandjoey
Most major cities still have starter and generator/alternator rebuild shops.. Check the yellow pages.
RoadGlue
Yippee! I'm willing to take the risk.
RoadGlue
And thanks for scaring the life out of me Dr. Evil! smile.gif

(really, thanks everyone!)
Andyrew
High tq starter works great on my medium compression v8. Starts my way to far advanced v8 every time.. (takes a while to get cranking due to timing...)
euro911
PM me the seller's info if you don't want to post it ... I need a high-torque starter as well.

... and let us know how well it holds up popcorn[1].gif
gothspeed
Great find man!!! I think I need one of these too!!! beerchug.gif
J P Stein
The HT starter weighed in at around half that of the stocker, IIRC, snd spun the motor over faster(10.5 :1 6 cyl) What's not to like? I too made a shim out of aluminum sheet stock.....bout .08 thick. The initial install made rude noises but the shim cleared that up.....been workin' for bout 6 years. I'd go with one with the shim supplied. Those guys cared enough to offer a fix for the problem.
sfrenck
Because you can buy a regular starter with a lifetime warranty from your FLAPS for <$50?
SLITS
Two manufacturers that I know of ....

IMI - the one you're looking at. Ex-Isom Brothers product. Uses the Nippondenso gear reduction stater with a new nose to fit Porsche (and other cars too). Riverside, CA.

ProLine - Parker, AZ. Uses the Hitachi gear reduction starter with a new nose. Makes them for most cars. About $40 more expensive than IMI. I know the owner and trust his stuff as I believe it is better quality (no shims needed).

I have an IMI on my current six.

I used a Proline on the first six conversion I did.

I had a Bosch SR68X tear up a flywheel.

There ya go ... all the info I have.

And as far as your "lifetime warranty" ... they cheapen the rebuild to provide that "lifetime warranty". The margin that the major FLAPS allow the rebuilder is getting less and less ... Yes, the mass merchandizers dictate the price to the rebuilder .. really stupid, but .... so they have to make a profit to stay in business somehow (most haven't). Public demands cheap ... Public gets cheap.

Shops can't afford the labor involved in replacement of cheap shit as their profit is eaten up with the first replacement.

Off my soapbox now.
pcar916
I've had three of them on both the 914 and 911 (3.6L and 3.2L engines) for 10 years or so. The one in the 911 lasted nearly a year and was replaced by Automotion no questions asked. The other came from Pelican and is still happily cranking away.

Neither need a shim.

Now... what to do with the five or six 911 starters I've somehow accumulated over the years. I'll never put one back on any Porsche I own.
ConeDodger
I think I'm using one. I know I have one. Had it for five years now...
RoadGlue
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:41 AM) *

I've had three of them on both the 914 and 911 (3.6L and 3.2L engines) for 10 years or so. The one in the 911 lasted nearly a year and was replaced by Automotion no questions asked. The other came from Pelican and is still happily cranking away.

Neither need a shim.

Now... what to do with the five or six 911 starters I've somehow accumulated over the years. I'll never put one back on any Porsche I own.

I might be interested in one or two of the 911 starters if they're in known-good condition. Please PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!

Randy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.