Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some input - going to look at my first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jbyron
Been watching for a car the last couple months, on Samba, CL, EBay and here. Just saw this one, and it at first blush looks like a steal. Would like to know your thoughts.

I'm hoping to see it this afternoon. Will take pics if I do. (Ad follows)

-Jamie

Pursuant to advice from TC and Curt, I've removed the link for now. I posted for advice, and got it :-)
stugray
If even half of what he says is true, then it IS a steal.

I would jump on it and I already have TWO!

Stu
jbyron
I spoke to the owner, and he said that the leak is from the rear engine seal, between the engine and the transaxle.
jsayre914
I would buy it sight unseen after looking at the pics and the price

chowtime.gif
bigkensteele
See if he will let you take it to a shop with a lift. A good look at the underside will tell you if there is rust in the floors and bottom of longs. I assume that you know the other places to look - hell hole, jack posts, rear trunk floor, door bottoms, etc.

The rear main seal is an easy fix. Just need to pull the trans.

I agree that if it is even half true, it is a good deal.
76-914
QUOTE(jbyron @ Apr 4 2012, 11:14 AM) *

I spoke to the owner, and he said that the leak is from the rear engine seal, between the engine and the transaxle.

Easy fix if the crank isn't worn where the seal fits. 2hr job.
stuttgart46
Not sure how he "rust proofed" the car.
Looks like a nice car at a fair price but like my momma says, don't believe anything you hear and half of what you see.
Good luck
carr914
If I were you, I'd be Jumping on that car.

Also, I would suggest not putting up Links on cars that you are Interested in, as someone could easily fly under the Radar & snag it before you can
jbyron
TC, I thought about that, but I don't think there's a lot of locals here on this board. I thought feedback from this group was more valuable than the incremental risk.
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with TC. There are folks lurking on this board that would buy that car and flip it double even if they live a 1000 miles or more away. delete that link then take lots of pics and come back. We'll pick it death if it needs it.
SLITS
1st problem .... it's red not green .... biggrin.gif
Valy
Check the hell hole and if good, take it!
falconfp2001
That is a good deal. Rust issues aside, if it is a completely stock FI 2.0, the parts alone will be worth more than that price. Get it fast because that's what some do here. I don't prefer red but that color looks good.
jbyron
In the brief conversation with the owner, he did tell me that it now has carbs, dual Weber 44's
TheCabinetmaker
Go drive it.
jbyron
Sold. Somebody went over there and bought it before I could get there. Damn job ruins everything!
carr914
Sorry, another will come along. But when a screaming Deal comes around, you need to act fast
Tom
Same thing happened to me years ago. Saw one for sale, mentioned it on the world. I called the guy and he said no one had showed interest, so set up a time after work to go see it. Called again before leaving home ( about 5 hours later), it was sold. Someone from Seattle had picked it up. Don't know who, but found out later the car had numerous problems, including engine problems and bad hell hole rust. So whoever bought it saved me a lot as I didn't really know what to look for at the time.
Keep looking and buy the nicest one you can find, it WILL save you money in the long run.
Tom
falconfp2001
tough break that looked like a nice find
bigkensteele
That sucks. I hate to think that it was somebody here, but it is quite a coincidence.

What is your budget, and are you set on a 2.0?
falconfp2001
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2933114948.html
jbyron
@Ken, no not necessarily fixated on 2.0, but would prefer. Also, I do recognize that there are a lot more 1.7 and 1.8 cars in the 2-5k range I'm seeking. That said, this car had the advantage of being local, so I could inspect it firsthand and there would be no shipping.
falconfp2001
You need to think of a more wider range. My car came from AZ and I just happened to get the PO to drive it here. If you can find one a few states over then your golden. I'm sure there is one on the 914world that has something close. Just keep looking but you may want to try The Samba as well. Nice site for finding good parts and good fixer uppers.
billh1963
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 4 2012, 07:23 PM) *

Sorry, another will come along. But when a screaming Deal comes around, you need to act fast

Yep....good deals move quickly. There are people scanning CL every day looking for deals.

A few years ago I learned the hard way to never post a link to an ad on a car you are interested in. There a plenty of unethical people who will snake a car out from under you.

If you hang out on 914World you will build a cadre of trusted advisors who will help you find and evaluate a car. It may take a little while; but, you will learn who you can trust and who you can't.

So, keep looking. And, if you find one where the price is low enough, make a move and buy it. Even if the car is not the one you decide to keep you can always sell it and move to the next one.

jbyron
I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. This is a very, very helpful group. Thank you.
carr914
If by chance you are looking for a Project car or a Parts Car, there is a 914 in Kansas City for $200

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...914-roller.html
jbyron
TC, I kinda like the idea of a project, but that one is a bit beyond what I'd like to tackle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.