Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seam weld 914 body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
I'm think about restoring my 914 this coming winter. While I have it down to bare metal I was thinking about seam welding the body to stiffing up a 30 year old flexing body. Has anybody done this? I'd just like to hear the "Pro's & Con's" on why or why not to do this.

Thanks, Ralph

74 2.0
Brad Roberts
Its a LOT of work. But I feel it helps. Weld for 2 inches..leave 1-2 inches.

The main places I feel need attention:

All of the rear end from the B pillars back.

Everything forward from the A pillars.

You cant go wrong with welding it all up.

You can however tweak the chassis if you spend all weekend trying to do it at once. Spread it out over a week or so. Give the tub time to cool down.

B
Aaron Cox
huh.gif what exactly is "seam welding"
Gint
I assume it's all the spot welded body panel joints.

My question is, B, are you advocating manual stitch welding or do you literaly mean weld 2" and leave 2" unwelded along the seams.
Aaron Cox
ok...i get it now....dunt know much about welding tho! biggrin.gif what type of welder would you use?
URY914
Feel under the car at the rocker panel. There is two pieces of metal that form a 'seam" where the sheet metal is spot welded together. This stands up at a right angle about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. "Seam welding" is welding this connection continuously.

Paul
Mueller
Hey Paul.....

In order to make your car even lighter, have you considered removing some of the welds?? smile.gif
L8Apex
I agree with Mueller. I'll have my trusty friend, JB, come help you out. boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
Literally stitch it. There is no need to lay continuous beads (as far as I'm concerned) I have done it and seen it done many times on race 914's.

B
URY914
You guys are soooo funny!!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Weight saving ideas:
1. I could acid dip it, but it may just be gone when I go to pull it out of the tank.
2. I thought I'd just paint it with one coat of paint. I'll buy a pint and thin it out.
3. I could run it only with a can of STP Oil Treatment in it and NO oil.
Rog914
Brad, Thanks for the reply. I'll most likely weld 2" then go a foot on the long runs first day (and let things cool off), then keep repeating each day till I have the 2" weld & 1" to 2" space.

Aaron, I'll be using a Mig Welder (wire spool feed).
They are really good for sheet metal.

Thanks for all the input, Ralph

74 2.0
Gint
Mind if I ask which seams you're planning on welding? All of 'em?
Rog914
Ginter, Yes. Well most all the spot welded seams.
But not things like the headlight buckets &
other non-structural items.

Ralph

74 2.0
Brad Roberts
No problem Ralph. I'm glad we have another east coast 914 guy on the BBS.

Let me know if you needs pics of how it is "typically" done.

Wait.. I need to start charging 5$ for every pic I post....LOL

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.