Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dyno Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
Recently started the engine after not being run for 12 years only to discover that it was blowing massive amounts of blue smoke.

After seeking and getting good advice from world members I decided to run some Liqui Moly Engine Detox in it to see if that would loosen the stuck rings. The instructions advise getting the engine oil hot, adding the detox and letting the engine idle for 15 minutes before draining the oil.

As the car is not road registered yet we decided to run it on the Maha dyno instead.

After initially getting the engine to operating temp we then proceeded to load it up on the rollers and bingo, after about 5 minutes of running it up the rev range....no more smoke and the oil pressure rose and held well.

I didn't bother using the additive at all. Spent the next hour or so setting the mixtures AGAP and then all of a sudden the engine backfired massively, died and wouldn't start again. The backfire was so loud it brought all of the techs from other parts of the workshop to see what had happened. I thought we killed it judging by the look of the dyno techs face.

We traced the cause to the points which were also 12 years old and not opening properly. After pulling the dizzy and dropping a new set in she fired up again straight away and idled smoothly at 800rpm with only some minor popping and farting when transitioning from the idle to the main circuits.

So she will be returning home soon for final assembly and registration.

nsr-jamie
how much power did you make?
phillstek
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 5 2012, 08:12 PM) *

how much power did you make?

We didn't do any numbers on it as we were really only trying to get it running and stop blowing smoke. It was also proving difficult getting an accurate lambda reading, the dyno operator said it sometimes happens with certain exhaust systems.

I wasn't paying much attention to the display however I did notice the km/h reading was at 200+ a few times.

We will do a full dyno tune after fiddling about with the Webers a bit more.
J P Stein
YPAF biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.