Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you remove impact bumpers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuttgart46
I have tried searching to no avail. I have a '76 that I am trying to get ready to paint and I can't figure out how to remove the front bumper shocks. Do you have to grind off the weld from the support bracket?
I've done this once before but it was about 10 years and a lot of beers ago.
Thanks for the help.
jim_hoyland
My bumper shock are held by three bolts in the trunk . Welded ? Haven't seen that
stuttgart46
There are 3 bolts that hold the support in to place but the support bracket is welded to the bumper shock tube.
Lennies914
One bolt under the bumper on each side (right and left) those remove the bumper. Then remove the three bolts on each side (in the trunck) those remove the shocks. On the front there is also a collar that goes around the shock, behind the bumper. The collars have two bolts each.
mepstein
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 5 2012, 09:15 AM) *

One bolt under the bumper on each side (right and left) those remove the bumper. Then remove the three bolts on each side (in the trunck) those remove the shocks. On the front there is also a collar that goes around the shock, behind the bumper. The collars have two bolts each.

agree.gif 5 minute job once you find the bolts under the rubber bumper cover. I'm pretty sure you need to remove the exhaust to remove the rear bumper supports.
stuttgart46
So the inner bumper (steel part) is bolted to the shocks and you can access the bolts from underneath? Those sneaky Germans. I'll take a look tonight.
Thanks guys.
mepstein
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Apr 5 2012, 09:36 AM) *

So the inner bumper (steel part) is bolted to the shocks and you can access the bolts from underneath? Those sneaky Germans. I'll take a look tonight.
Thanks guys.

So the inner bumper (steel part) is bolted to the shocks and you can access the bolts from underneath? ---Yes. The correct size socket will take care of it quickly.
76-914
getting those bolts off from the bottom is easy. Getting those bastards started back in will get you cussing, though. dry.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:33 AM) *

getting those bolts off from the bottom is easy. Getting those bastards started back in will get you cussing, though. dry.gif

agree.gif
When (if) you reassemble, attach the three trunk bolts loosely so they you have plenty of play when the bolts under the rubber bumper are installed. I use a long handled hex key to line the holes up. Once the outer bolts are in, go back and tighten the inner 3 bolts. You'll still get some cussing in.... smile.gif
stuttgart46
I'm considering going back with f/g GT bumpers. Those impact bumpers are heavy. I can't decide which way to go with this car. It is the most solid 914 I've ever owned and it's very original but I I've had a couple of GT's and I'd like another.
So, do I repaint this car in orignal black and reassemble it and sell it or do I convert to a GT as I know this car is so solid I'll never find a better candidate? Decisions, decisions.
mepstein
Personally, I don't believe in fiberglass bumpers for a street car. We need all the accident protection we can get. I don't like the later bumpers so I would backdate to early. I would use the most solid and rust free car I could for a conversion. If I had given away my red car for free and bought a rust free car for my conversion, I would have been ahead of the game in time and cost. Just my opinion. Good luck, Mark
mepstein
sfrenck is looking for a rust free car. Doesn't have to be painted. Just an fyi...
stuttgart46
Thanks Mark. I agree with you on the F/G bumpers but this car will be doing a lot of track days mostly. The other car I put F/G bumpers was a dedicated track car.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2012, 08:25 AM) *
Personally, I don't believe in fiberglass bumpers for a street car. ... I would backdate to early [bumpers].

The early bumpers provide little if any protection over FG ones IMHO. They're just not that strong.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 5 2012, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2012, 08:25 AM) *
Personally, I don't believe in fiberglass bumpers for a street car. ... I would backdate to early [bumpers].

The early bumpers provide little if any protection over FG ones IMHO. They're just not that strong.

--DD

Most of the car is thin sheet steel. The steel bumpers aren't great protection all by themselves but every bit helps in these cars. I was told to keep the spare tire in the front trunk for extra protection. But like I said, It's just my opinion.
rfuerst911sc
Get rid of those ugly rubber bumpers and all that weight. Backdate to early bumpers there are plenty out there that can easily be saved by just painting them. Or go fiberglass. I could not believe how heavy these were on my 75 that I backdated. Plus they are ugly barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.