Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repair trailing arm mount help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmh75
I finally finished my engine rebuild and went to weld in my new engine shelf when I noticed this fairly significant structural issue. I gave a slight wack with a rubber mallet to see how bad the "crack was" and the whole tab that holds the rear trailing arm cracked and bent.

Anyone done a repair like this? Any suggestions?

I would rather not cut and splice a whole new section into the car.

My only thought so far is to bend it back, cut out the bad metal and patch in some new metal. I am concerned about it being strong enough though.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Click to view attachment

Thanks

Todd
tmh75
Secondary question has anyone else had a problem with a "new" engine shelf not matching up?

The gap looks fairly small in the picture but I can not get it to line up without altering the new peice.

Is may car bent?Click to view attachment
tmh75
Final question.

Will a simple cut and patch with some reinforcement strips welded on the outside be enough?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Do a search for "rear suspension console" It's a common problem. They rust from the inside out. Restoration design sells replacements. It's not a quick repair. Good luck, Mark
brant
you really should put in a new suspension console

this piece is made by Rdesign

if you are tracking the car or driving with sticky tires... you should also install a console brace to keep this from repeating itself.
mrbubblehead
your a third of the way there with the shelf removed. just keep drilling spot welds. the rd console fits really really well. then when your done, you wont be worrying about it.
brant
and yours does look rusty.
but on a track car I've tore one that was 1 year old....
ZERO rust.

so its a combination of rust and/or sticky tires putting structural loads that the suspension mount was not designed to withstand.
Thus the bracing is really a necessity on a track car
it doesn't make the car faster, but it makes it last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.