Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 grinding in 1st and 3rd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rderow
I have a 1974 914 that I recently replaced all the bushings in the linkage on and had tried to adjust the clutch and stop but it is grinding when i put it in first ever so often and in reverse almost every time unless the stars align. I have had two mechanics look at it and they said it is not the clutch itself but maybe it needs another adjustment? any ideas? Someone said it could be the clutch tunnel broken off in the center tunnel but it doesn't feel like it is. There is def movement when i push the clutch in on the shifter. Thoughts?
76-914
remove shifter bolts and spin the shifter base 90 degrees. you can then view and verify if the clutch tube spot weld broke. you will be able to see the tube move when you depress the clutch pedal if it is broken. however, the fact that you don't mention 2nd as a problem you probably have a worn syncro on 3rd. if your flywheel was resurfaced you'll need to shim the pivot ball that the clutch fork rides against. also, check your plastic bushing in the shift fork. It's possible that you have 2 problems. Clutch n Syncro's. popcorn[1].gif
Richard Casto
Done drive until you fix otherwise you are going to just damage synchros, hubs and sliders in your transmission.

If you can't shift into reverse without clash/grinding, your clutch is not disengaging!

Have someone operate the clutch pedal while you look under the car and watch the operation of the clutch arm. Is it traveling enough? Is it hitting the bell-housing at the end of the travel?

Richard
Dr Evil
Clutch cable too loose - see my notes

Clutch tube broken - notes

Rderow
QUOTE(Rderow @ Apr 5 2012, 08:27 AM) *

I have a 1974 914 that I recently replaced all the bushings in the linkage on and had tried to adjust the clutch and stop but it is grinding when i put it in first ever so often and in reverse almost every time unless the stars align. I have had two mechanics look at it and they said it is not the clutch itself but maybe it needs another adjustment? any ideas? Someone said it could be the clutch tunnel broken off in the center tunnel but it doesn't feel like it is. There is def movement when i push the clutch in on the shifter. Thoughts?

thanks guys!!! I will try the suggested...stay tuned!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.