Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready to Dyno Megasquirt FI soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Seattle Tacoma guys

I need some advice on dyno time for my car. I've never done it before and would appreciate any advice on where to go and what to do. I've been working hard trying to sort out the problems. New injectors helped and I upgraded to a different firmware that gives me more resolution in pulse widths. Anyway, I have the car running really well now as far as I can tell so I might as well see what it will do.
From what I understand this is put up or shut up time so it should be interesting.

When the time comes I would be fun to have some of you guys come if possible.

Dave
Mueller
Pay the extra money to have a WB used to sniff the tailpipe...

Chassis or inertia dyno??
Brad Roberts
DN,

Try and locate somebody who has a dyno that they can do steady state.

The Dynojets are OK for full pulls when your trying to do top end tuning.. but you need to hold steady state for tuning in between closed and wide open. Set the dyno with a load and hold 2000 RPM... then hold 2500...then hold 3000.

It will probably run you a few more dollars... but it will be well worth it.

B
Aaron Cox
let us know the progress and the final outcome. Good luck! biggrin.gif
Jeff Krieger
Yes, please post the numbers when you've got 'em.
Bleyseng
There is one in Kent that I have heard is good, don't use the one in Kirkland, bad bad place!
I'll show up if you give me a little notice and I'll hold your hand.
Geoff
Blair_RacerBoy
Sounds good, ive had a few car buddys go to the dyno in the kent area. They were very happy with the results (who wouldnt with 338rwhp). But i DO NOT GO TO CARBCONN IN KIRKLAND!!! finger.gif bad bad place.
McMark
What is involved in a dyno and what are average rates? A local shop just added a dyno into the floor of their shop. I was thinking of using it to tune the carbs on the 2056 I'm building. Their rate is $90 and hour.

Mark D.
Brad Roberts
Mark D.

Let me know when your ready and I'll show up with you.

I have several cars I need to do pulls on (as long as your still in Napa)

90$ is kinda high right now. Most are at 70-80$

B
McMark
Brad,
Sounds good. I'll let you know. Gotta finish the engine first. Maybe I'll see if their interested in a group rate and we can do a club pull or something on a Saturday. That would be fun.

Mark D. (still in Napa)
DNHunt
I got dyno time set up for Wednesdat May 28 @ 10 AM. Blood Enterprises in Auburn. O2 meter and steady state for tuning. Guess we'll see what it will do

Dave
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 8 2003, 11:12 AM)
I got dyno time set up for Wednesdat May 28 @ 10 AM. Blood Enterprises in Auburn. O2 meter and steady state for tuning. Guess we'll see what it will do

Dave

A rather morbid sounding name for a shop.
DNHunt
I know, Blood Enterprises sounded menacing to me too. I'm not superstitious but I have to admit to some trepidation. I could understand Tears enterprises. I can imagine spilt tears but I hate to think of spilt blood.

Dave
Bleyseng
Ok, I'll try to be there too. Blood Enterprises damn, that's Auburn for ya, everyone there still has a mullet hair style too.
Geoff
DNHunt
Geoff

That would be great. I'm not sure what to expect. The owner Graig said he could hit the cross points on the VE map and he could give me O2 information.

When the time gets closer I'll get in touch.

Dave
Bleyseng
Like Brad said, you do a run at 2000 rpm then 2500 then 3000 rpms and so on. This is to readings at various points for reference,ie what the actual mix is (A/F)and hp + torque.
Full pulls and fun. Engine warmed up, holding 2000 rpms in 4th gear, dynoman drops his hand and you floor it to say 6000rpms. Repeat
Stop, get out and look at the print out to see what is going on. Pretty basic. Very loud.
I have done both kinds to figure out my car and what to set Mps's at. I need to do it again and adjust mine on the spot for better tuning.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
If you have time and money... do the steady state pulls at 250 RPM increments (or whatever the resolution is with the MS)

Goeff..

New SuperFlow software showed up today for our dyno... we powered it on yesterday and ran thru some tests... Water tanks are next. We have finally moved all the cars out of the way so we can get to the tanks and stand them back up.

B
rhodyguy
dn, how long til you want to do this? a comparo with my carbed 2.0. maybe i'll cruise up and check out the shop, it's prob 10 miles from my house. i should be ready after next week.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

I have the dyno reserved at 10 AM Wednesday May 28. I don't know how long it will take but it would be fun to compare. You might want to call. The guy to talk to is Craig @ (253) 939-4121.

Dave
Bleyseng
B- Cool, when did you pour the concrete?
Geoff
Jeff Krieger
What do you people think of the Redline Weber F/I system http://www.redlineweber.com/SEMA2002/fuel_...l_injection.htm ? It was designed for an air-cooled VW motor. Do you think that it could be (easily) adapted to keep the d-jet intake runners? BTW, the buggy pictured on that page is featured in the June issue of Hot VWs ... it weighs 1100 pounds and has 132 hp at the rear wheels! I bet it's a blast to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.