Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ferdinand Porsche has died
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
I see in today's news that Ferdinand Porsche, designer of the 911 has died. Godspeed Ferdy... Here is to a life well lived.
GeorgeRud
I hope he was able to enjoy his time on earth. If he couldn't, who could!

RIP
Cap'n Krusty
Actually, he wasn't called "Ferdie". His nickname was "Butzi". He WILL be m,issed, and his legendary 911 just keeps on evolving.

The Cap'n
1973-914-2L
I think it can be agreed he had a wonderful life and is leaving a legacy behind .. we should all be thankful to him ..

Condolences to the family .. and think of him the next time you enjoy his legacy ...

God speed Ferry ...

Thanks ....

Stephen Searles
PCA, ZONE 7, YOS VP
carr914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=178984&hl=

And he was known as Butzi or F.A., never Ferdie, Ferry, Freddy
sbsix
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 5 2012, 01:30 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=178984&hl=

And he was known as Butzi or F.A., never Ferdie, Ferry, Freddy

He designed the 904, as well, my all time favorite unobtainable Porsche.
wes
Many thanks to the man that made driving fun for me and so meany others
I will think of him each time I go by my garage and of corse as those great driving experience's roll on.
Gustl
met him at a big Porsche meeting in Zell am See (Austria) in May 2003

Click to view attachment

R.I.P.

sad.gif
ConeDodger
It would be nice if people could restrain their desire to show how much more they know than others and just honor the memory of a great man who has had such a great influence on the lives of so many of us here...
I know full well that he was called 'Butzi' I just chose to call him Ferdy.
euro911
My wife just called me to let me know, came here and saw the post sad.gif

Condolences to his family, may he rest in peace ...

I noticed a a typo in Yahoo's article, "The first production-ready model, called the 901, appeared at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 1964 ..." ... it was in 1963
Mikey914
My wife actually called me as sonn as she heard.
RIP
Your legacy will live on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 5 2012, 01:59 PM) *

No problem Robsy ...

Ferdinand Porsche has died

sad.gif

R.I.P.

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2012, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 5 2012, 01:59 PM) *

No problem Robsy ...

Ferdinand Porsche has died

sad.gif

R.I.P.

IPB Image

Thanks Andy biggrin.gif

My 240Z Plate...
1973-914-2L
My dad always referred to him as Ferry .. maybe he was mistaking but ...

I don't think that should be the debate today ...

maybe a topic for tomorrow ...
sixnotfour
My dad always referred to him as Ferry .. maybe he was mistaking but ...

I don't think that should be the debate today ...

maybe a topic for tomorrow ...

Ferry Porsche. AKA Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche. Born: 19-Sep-1909 Birthplace: Wiener Neustadt, Austria Died: 27-Mar-1998
gothspeed
RIP .........
SirAndy
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Apr 5 2012, 02:17 PM) *
My dad always referred to him as Ferry ..

Ferry was his father.

People often get confused because there were three generations of Ferdinand Porsche:

Ferdinand Porsche (3 September 1875 – 30 January 1951)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Porsche

Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche (19 September 1909 – 27 March 1998), mainly known as Ferry Porsche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry_Porsche

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche (11 December 1935 – 5 April 2012), nicknamed "Butzi"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Alexander_Porsche

driving.gif
unpolire
As a fitting tribute, my last speeding ticket was at the wheel of a 993 Cabriolet (dismissed!), and I hope my next one (if caught in action...) will be at the wheel of a 959. Thanks, Professor Porsche, for past and future memories based upon your iconic design of 1963.
Dave_Darling
He also had a hand in the design of a certain mid-engine'd joint venture with VW...

--DD
1973-914-2L
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2012, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Apr 5 2012, 02:17 PM) *
My dad always referred to him as Ferry ..

Ferry was his father.

People often get confused because there were three generations of Ferdinand Porsche:

Ferdinand Porsche (3 September 1875 – 30 January 1951)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Porsche

Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche (19 September 1909 – 27 March 1998), mainly known as Ferry Porsche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry_Porsche

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche (11 December 1935 – 5 April 2012), nicknamed "Butzi"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Alexander_Porsche

driving.gif

Thanks for clearing that up Andy .. i am defiantly not a historian and have been confused by that ....

Steve
wingnut86
sad.gif

RIP
EdwardBlume
There has got to be Porsches in heaven!

RIP

carr914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 5 2012, 04:59 PM) *

It would be nice if people could restrain their desire to show how much more they know than others and just honor the memory of a great man who has had such a great influence on the lives of so many of us here...

Rob, wasn't meant as slam, just wanted to point out what Butzi liked to be called

T.C.
carr914
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 5 2012, 08:30 PM) *

There has got to be Porsches in heaven!

RIP

Amen!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 5 2012, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 5 2012, 04:59 PM) *

Rob, wasn't meant as slam, just wanted to point out what Butzi liked to be called

T.C.

I wasn't really referring to you TC... Sorry, cast too wide a net. smile.gif
SCV
(A moment of silence) He made an enduring contribution to automotive performance and will be missed by people all around the world. If there is an afterlife, he will surely be driving.gif there. RIP
amphiduck
Definitely a sad day. Loved my '77 911S for all 1.5 months I had it until it met the rearend of a chevy lumina.

Butzi thanks for all your contributions to the automotive world.

Also, seems like news medias don't deem this as important news. Definitely annoying.
BritCarJim
rest in peace indeed. sad to see anybody go, particular someone with which you feel as if you have a lot in common.
euro911
As a tribute to the man and his accomplishments, seems a fitting time to start on the '67's long-overdue engine swap.

Click to view attachment
carr914
Does anyone know why he left Porsche and created Porsche Design ( to make sunglasses & pens)? I mean he designed 2 of the Best cars in existence (904 & 911), just think if he had stayed at the car company.

Click to view attachment
Gustl
He designed the 904 and 911, working at the Porsche KG.
Back in the days there were often conflicts between the Porsche family and the Piech family.
This culminated in founding the Porsche AG (in 1972*), with no guys of either family (in 3rd generation) in leading position.
This is why Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, Hans-Peter Porsche as well as Ferdinand Piech had to leave the Porsche AG.
F.A. Porsche then foundet the Porsche Design GmbH.

* check the VIN plate in the front bonnet of your 914: at early cars it says Porsche KG - at late cars Porsche AG
Gustl
ooops ... have to check it on a 911 VIN plate ... later 914s had the VW VIN ...

MecGen
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 5 2012, 07:01 PM) *

He also had a hand in the design of a certain mid-engine'd joint venture with VW...

--DD

RIP
type47
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RIP
914_teener
Obit in the LA Times this morning.

RIP
jimkelly
pic
ThePaintedMan
beerchug.gif Definitely a guy I would have loved to have a brew with. Here's to you Mr. Porsche!
Al Meredith
1/4 page obit in the Atlanta paper. Porsche USA HQs here
poorsche914
From the PCA e-newsletter:

With the recent news of the passing of the father of the 911 and 904, PCA members will honor F.A. Porsche by displaying a black ribbon across the Porsche logo on their cherished vehicles. They will maintain this display until the 2012 Porsche Parade in July. At Parade, PCA members will celebrate the iconic cars which have evolved from Mr. Porsche original designs.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

driving.gif
GeorgeRud
Nice little remembrance. He did actually do a lot of nice design work at Porsche Design, so that's not a bad legacy as well.

The 904 is what got me interested in sports cars originally. Now, if I could only fit in one!
scotty b
Moving on
scotty b
smile.gif
type47
To show respect, Porsche owners will put a stripe of black tape across the hood badge. Saw this in an email from PCA.org

PCA members to honor Ferdinand Alexander Porsche
PCA Share

Click to view attachment

With the recent news of the passing of the father of the 911 and 904, PCA members will honor F.A. Porsche by displaying a black ribbon across the Porsche logo on their cherished vehicles. They will maintain this display until the 2012 Porsche Parade in July. At Parade, PCA members will celebrate the iconic cars which have evolved from Mr. Porsche original designs.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 11 2012, 02:12 PM) *

To show respect, Porsche owners will put a stripe of black tape across the hood badge. Saw this in an email from PCA.org

PCA members to honor Ferdinand Alexander Porsche
PCA Share

Click to view attachment

I wonder what we 914 owners are supposed to do idea.gif

I know, I'll just put a piece of black electricans' tape on the leading edge of the hood rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.