Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chassis Stiffening Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rderow
Has anyone put in one of the pelican parts Chassis Stiffening Kit into their 914? I am trying to find someone local in LA to weld one in for me.
Or i heard this is the kit i need Brad Mayeur chassis kit anyone have one on the cheap? and anyone in the LA area installed one?
rfuerst911sc
A link or picture of what you are talking about would help, there are quite a few stiffening kits on the market.
carr914
Call McMark
Series9
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 6 2012, 11:02 AM) *

Call McMark

He's about as close to LA as Tennessee is to us.
7TPorsh
LA? Welding? I need this too.

Series9
Joe Sharp in Huntington. He'll sit there and talk you through it.

Pay with smoke.gif
Steve
Ottos in Venice Beach will do it. He also sells the kits
eric9144
Either of the two mentioned above agree.gif
7TPorsh
Stupid question...does the engine need to be dropped?
Steve
I drove mine to and from the shop that did mine in AZ
Series9
How about this? Two of you pay ten hours each. $1500 total. I'll fly out and do the work. I want to see Mr. Sharp. You want the welding. It's a win-win.
7TPorsh
How about $100 and take the Amtrak. :-)
JoeSharp
Yes and we still don't know what he is doing. Brad's outer long kit is for repairs. The GT kit works on some race cars. I cut it off of mine. Post some pics and tell us what it is that you would like to do. I used the Engman inner long kit and if you can get it installed correctly for $1500 you will be doing well. Lots of people bend thier car installing them.
Steve
I think my Kit from Ottos cost around $1200.00 to have it installed in AZ. If we are talking about the same 10 piece GT stiffening kit. This was also in AZ 15 years ago.
Series9
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 7 2012, 12:35 AM) *

How about $100 and take the Amtrak. :-)

I called your Glendale Maaco. They have welders standing by.... shades.gif
Series9
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 6 2012, 01:47 PM) *

Stupid question...does the engine need to be dropped?

No.
Rderow
Here is a pict of the chassis stiffener kit I was suggested.
I guess I should of explained the problem. My passenger side door is rubbing and it appears it is from flex in the frame/chassis (I will take a pict). I basically want to keep the car from additional flex. It has a bored out 1.8 (I think) with cam, electric ignition, and a bunch of other mysterious performance parts (header, exhaust). It has a roll cage so I thought that would help keep it stiff but maybe not? It is basically set up for light club racing.

I have been holding off on seeing Otto but I think it is time to bite the bullet as so many of these roads end with suggestions to see Otto smile.gif Trying to keep overall costs down.

Thanks everyone for the wise words!!
Steve
I would get an estimate and ask how long it will take if you take it to Otto's. He gave me a break on labor in the past if I wasn't in a hurry. They make most of there money by doing quick jobs.
Rderow
Cool. i am going to ask him about my grinding into reverse as well. I think it is just a clutch adjustment but had two people "adjust" it already to no avail. I also have a funky clicking from the steering wheel that he might be able to diagnose and sort out quickly.

Here are some of the picts of the door. Maybe there is an easier fix as well smile.gif (doubtful but I am an optimist)

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 8 2012, 09:27 AM) *

I would get an estimate and ask how long it will take if you take it to Otto's. He gave me a break on labor in the past if I wasn't in a hurry. They make most of there money by doing quick jobs.

ConeDodger
That is a chassis repair panel. It is for rust repair. Stiffening kits like the Engman are for something else entirely.

McMark is 300 miles or so away and he is the best up here... There is Otto's and I can't think of the other restoration shop down there. This is not a job for "Joe the garage welder" You can twist up your chassis with this repair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.