Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C or not to A/C ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drdave427
Looking for advice/input on my A/C system -- the damn thing actually works but kinda useless for cruising around with the top off AND the biggie to me is the installer beat the SH!~ out of the engine shelf so it would fit. I'll have to - need to replace that shelf if I pull the engine to remove the A/C. I mean it is pointing straight down on that side and it really bothers me any time I look under the hood. Would you keep it or kick it ??
dlee6204
I'd keep it although most people would probably choose to loose it. It's a nice feature to have specially if it works. I drive my car all year long and it can get pretty hot during the summer, A/c would be a big plus. I plan to add A/C to my car one of these days but I won't be hacking up the engine shelf to install the compressor. The dealers really did do a hack job installing these systems.
914four
I ditched mine because of the the hack job by the dealer and I almost always ride with the top off anyway. I'm not sure if I will ever want to put one back in. It seems to be one of those personal things. I prefer no air, at least for now, with these cars.
hot_shoe914
I'd keep it, but then again I have 4 of these cars and only one has air, not sure if it works or not though as I just got it and it is totally disassembled. I do plan to reinstall the air though. I will have other to drive w/o air.
falconfp2001
I would keep it. I plan to put it in my car as SoCal can get kind of hot. If it works, that's more value to your car. I'd convert it though. You can get a more efficient compressor that won't put such a drain on your HP when it's active and the old hoses were not very good.
dlee6204
I'd convert it though. You can get a more efficient compressor that won't put such a drain on your HP when it's active and the old hoses were not very good.

agree.gif If you do anything, you might want to consider upgrading the compressor and cleaning up the hack job while you're at it.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 6 2012, 06:51 AM) *

I'd convert it though. You can get a more efficient compressor that won't put such a drain on your HP when it's active and the old hoses were not very good.

agree.gif If you do anything, you might want to consider upgrading the compressor and cleaning up the hack job while you're at it.

agree.gif

They now have compressors that only pull 1 1/2 to 2 HP away from your engine.
Prospectfarms
Porsche's may not follow the rule, but most vintage cars w/"factory" AC sell for a slight premium and definitely sell faster. If yours was placed by the dealer it is part of the car's "provenance" and that's another reason to keep it.
Black914_4
I would keep it if it was mine.
I've only had my car for about 4 months. It's black on black, no AC, and I worry about it being too hot this summer to drive it. I bought it as a DD and want to drive it every day.
A "little" AC would be better then no AC in my book.
bandjoey
Does it get hot outside where you live? Try 110 degree Texas Summer. I plan to add a new unit when I win the lotto or save up some extra cash. Brand new hot rod units are available, smaller and lighter, and still fit under the dash just like the old ones. Comfort as well as selling the car value.
TheCabinetmaker
Bikerbob and I are working together to reinstall the factory units in our cars and we are going to upgrade and relocate the compressor.
VaccaRabite
I ditched mine. But it does limit me driving on super hot and humid days.
Which is not a problem as I keep taking my car apart as soon as I get it driving.
Zach
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2012, 10:05 AM) *

I ditched mine. But it does limit me driving on super hot and humid days.
Which is not a problem as I keep taking my car apart as soon as I get it driving.
Zach

av-943.gif
drdave427
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:30 AM) *

Bikerbob and I are working together to reinstall the factory units in our cars and we are going to upgrade and relocate the compressor.

That's interesting -- relocate to where ??
ape914
Keep it, very cool accesory, fairly rare. Certainly COOL!!! restore the engine shelf, then neatly and professionaly re-install the AC.
I got a rare AC in a 1965 Bug, wouldn't think of removing it. and it dont even work, it is just cool looking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.