Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ft. parking light harness boot NLA, what to do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Prospectfarms
Parking light power lead is shorted inside the rubber boot/grommet. On my car the boot and the body grommet are one piece. This boot/grommet is the conduit into the wheel well from the front trunk. Rubber is hard and brittle.

The wires for the side marker and parking/turn signal are encased in plastic sleeves within the rubber boot. Plastic sleeve encased wires pass through the grommet. It's real tight. I need to bypass a short, but I've had no success fishing wire through that boot.

It seems the only way to run new wires to the p-lights is to tear the boot apart? That's drastic. Boot is NLA? What kind of substitute is available?

How about a new grommet, no boot and some self-fusing rubber repair tape?
Prospectfarms
Did some more "work" and sure the boot will disintegrate if I try to remove it. I can't even pull-out the bad wires through the boot.
nathansnathan
It sounds like you are looking for the boots for the side markers?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/tinydetail.php?..._number=1117059
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 6 2012, 02:32 PM) *

It sounds like you are looking for the boots for the side markers?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/tinydetail.php?..._number=1117059

Looking for the front parking light boot. The parking lights share the same assembly as the turn-signal.

Thanks very much for the link, the side marker harness emanates from the parking light harness (on my car) and has its own boot -- which I will need as well.

EDIT: whoops, the link you showed me was for the turn-signal boot. Great. Wonder why PP showed it NLA. Wonder too whether 914rubber makes same? Anyhow, that's the one I wanted. Appreciate it.

Stuart
nathansnathan
Oh yeah you're right that is the turn signal boot. I knew that was the one you meant as it's the only boot that is hard to get the wires through. They are nla from the factory but that is a repro.

Weird I got the boot for the side markers at AA just a bit ago and now they say they are nla and seems like no options. Those were genuine iirc so maybe they just stopped making them? part # 914 631 218 10 I think for the side marker boot.
76-914
I think that they are in the works.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Apr 6 2012, 07:31 AM) *

Parking light power lead is shorted inside the rubber boot/grommet. On my car the boot and the body grommet are one piece. This boot/grommet is the conduit into the wheel well from the front trunk. Rubber is hard and brittle.

The wires for the side marker and parking/turn signal are encased in plastic sleeves within the rubber boot. Plastic sleeve encased wires pass through the grommet. It's real tight. I need to bypass a short, but I've had no success fishing wire through that boot.

It seems the only way to run new wires to the p-lights is to tear the boot apart? That's drastic. Boot is NLA? What kind of substitute is available?

Replace the boot assembly. It's hard work, but the only realistic solution. KY helps! They are still available.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Scotti @ Apr 6 2012, 04:45 PM) *

Doesn't Mikey make those?

Not yet, but I so have a small supply of NOS ones.
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 6 2012, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Apr 6 2012, 07:31 AM) *

Replace the boot assembly. It's hard work, but the only realistic solution. KY helps! They are still available.

Yes, now that I'm squared away on the boot I can tear into it. I see what you mean about "hard" There's not a lot of room in that space next to the headlight assembly to work in. (Common refrain. Hey, it's a small car.)
Prospectfarms
biggrin.gif

Here's the part: Porsche OEM per Mark @914 rubber. Click to view attachment
Its described in several sources as a "drain" but it functions to cover the terminals and wires that power the parking light. On my car at least, the little tube to the left holds the harness for the side marker lights. There's no place for water to leave the boot. Maybe mine was wired incorrectly, but I don't think so since there isn't any place else to run the side marker wires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.