Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identify these wheels.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Anyone?

wingnut86
Japanese wheels, JLL is not an OEM, just a required Japanese stamping for manufacture.
pt_700
japanasports!

sorry, couldn't resist...
Series9
We've been doing some Googling and found enough evidence to support that these are Panasports.

They're for sale in the classifieds....
DBCooper
They're Panasports, you're good.
matthepcat
They look like Rotas.
SUNAB914
I sold a set of those year half ago to a guy in NY i believe. Can't remember his name.
Series9
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Apr 6 2012, 01:53 PM) *

I sold a set of those year half ago to a guy in NY i believe. Can't remember his name.

How much did you get? I listed them for $800, but I'm not positive that's a competitive price.
wingnut86
OK.

This is as close to the internal design as I can get. True Panasports. See the link at MossMotors.com.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProduct...teIndexID=71603

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Also, try SpyFU for locating who sells these...

http://www.spyfu.com/Term.aspx?t=1002129&org=50
ConeDodger
They are Panasports. If they were Rota Wheels they wouldn't have the Japan Manufacturer stamp. Rota's are made in Manila, PI.
Tom_T
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Apr 6 2012, 10:03 AM) *

Japanese wheels, JLL is not an OEM, just a required Japanese stamping for manufacture.

Uhhh! ..... No!! dry.gif

We have the exact same mfgr. logo on our 88 VW Westy FACTORY ALLOY WHEELS - which were NOT made in Japan! shades.gif

Click to view attachment
wingnut86
The Chinese also use a similar monogram (knock-off) to the Panasports.

BASTIDS!, sorry, I digress smile.gif

Lots of info over on Chinese sites exclaiming theirs are better screwy.gif

Good luck...
jmill
JWL is just a stamp required when they meet Japanese light alloy wheel standards.

The JWL standard (Japan Light Alloy Wheel standard) is a set of requirements for alloy wheels set by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (Japan) that must be met for all passenger cars in Japan. The JWL mark, cast or forged into the wheel, indicates that the wheel has been self-certified by its manufacturer to meet the standard. There is a related standard, JWL-T, for truck and bus wheels.

The Vehicle Inspection Association of Japan (VIA) independently tests wheels for JWL or JWL-T compliance. Wheels that have been tested will bear the VIA mark in addition to the JWL mark.[1]

matthepcat
Pretty sure Rotas have those markings too.

IPB Image
jt914-6
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 6 2012, 11:42 AM) *

Anyone?

Same JLL logo that was on a set of Cup 1 repo wheels I had that was made in Italy...
Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
I think wingnut is right. It is actually a "JWL" coming from "Japan Light Alloy Wheel" being like the Japanese DOT equivalent. Any wheel intended for japanese market would probably need to have that.
wingnut86
I used to have a set of Rota's on a car of mine, buddy picked up for free when he hopped through Clark Airbase back in the day - Thanks Mt. Pinatubo mad.gif

I'm having a helluva time finding where Rota made a +6 or a -6 offset for a 15 X 6, 4-lugger though blink.gif

This is all moot anyway, as Rota had to manufacture under Japanese rules to sell there and be accepted in many other markets. And, Rota is pretty old (based on my age beer.gif ), although they are apparently no longer an Italian partnered Philippine company from what I can tell confused24.gif

Hmmm, I am old sad.gif

Who cares bootyshake.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 6 2012, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Apr 6 2012, 10:03 AM) *

Uhhh! ..... No!! dry.gif

We have the exact same mfgr. logo on our 88 VW Westy FACTORY ALLOY WHEELS - which were NOT made in Japan! shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Joe, Wingnut & Nathan,

I looked but cannot locate the close-up pix I have of the Alloy wheels on our blue 88 Westy above, & my wife has the car at work until late (RN), so I can't take a pic now. If you really need pix, PM me over the weekend & I'll pull out the spare to do pix of the F & back markings.

IIRC they were stamped/cast with markings much like our 2l Fuchs: on the front with the 6Jx14, come other cast stuff, & JLL or JWL or whatever that logo is; & on the back with a VW-circle Logo, mfgr logo/name, wheel size, mfgr. date 88-90 on ours (I got them off a 89-90 Carat when my wife whined for some after I got SoCalAndy's sweet 2L Fuchs for my 914 resto).

I think that the JLL or JWL logo is for the OEM wheel mfgr. that cast these & the others on here, and not for a Japanese requirement - it just looks more "artsy-fartsy" like a company logo.

Any govt. req'd stampings tend to be much more legible & straightforward & easy to read; plus it stands to reason that Japan would have it in their own Kanjji (sp?) letters - not English/Western alphabet.

You could probably call a VW dealer & ask who makes these various wheels for them & if that's really just their logo, as I think it is.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 6 2012, 01:23 PM) *

I think wingnut is right. It is actually a "JWL" coming from "Japan Light Alloy Wheel" being like the Japanese DOT equivalent. Any wheel intended for japanese market would probably need to have that.

Well I'll be damned - I was wrong & Wingnut, Nathan et al were right! blink.gif

For grits & shins I googled "JWL" thinking a mfgr. might come up, but it was exactly what Nathan said above! .... read here ....

http://www.cartype.com/pages/2101/jwl_stamp_on_alloy_wheels

Live & learn! Good job guys!!!

However, they're still on OEM wheels by any/all mfgrs. needing to sell in Japan since that req't. came to be>

Not to worry about getting old wingnut, I've got almost a decade on you & am feeling it!
slits.gif

.... now where's I leave my damn drool bucket!!?? huh.gif
.... mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble ....
laugh.gif
Series9
So what are they worth?

Don't say "whatever someone will pay".
ConeDodger
They look like Panasports to me. If they are, Panasports sell new for about $1000 a set with center caps and lugs. Rotas are a copy wheel. New about $800 with caps and lugs. Panasports are better quality. Both are currently available...
Series9
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 7 2012, 11:35 AM) *

They look like Panasports to me. If they are, Panasports sell new for about $1000 a set with center caps and lugs. Rotas are a copy wheel. New about $800 with caps and lugs. Panasports are better quality. Both are currently available...

These wheels would cost $1280 new. They are Panasports.
DBCooper
There were two types, the street version, which you have, and a lighter version marked on the outside lip "for racing purposes only". I sold a set of the lighter wheels to the gentleman in Minnesota who turbocharged a T4 914. He was an SCCA instructor, if I recall, but I don't remember his screen name. They'd been used a season but then sat on a shelf for a long time. I asked for and got a lot less than that. I only mention it because he had nice photos of them in some of his posts. I really like their looks, much better than Minilites.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 7 2012, 08:08 AM) *

That is Panasports suggested retail. CDM a restoration shop in Vista California and a dealer for Panasports tells me that he got about $250 each with caps and lugs.
Series9
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 7 2012, 09:00 PM) *

That is Panasports suggested retail. CDM a restoration shop in Vista California and a dealer for Panasports tells me that he got about $250 each with caps and lugs.

Thank you, but I'm still looking for a knowledgeable estimate of the value of a used set.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 7 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Thank you, but I'm still looking for a knowledgeable estimate of the value of a used set.

Joe,
I suspect they are very rare in 914 sizes. I just purchased and had polished a set of 15X7 0 offset Datsun Z Panasports. I bought them for $525 shipped and had them polished by a local shop in Reno for $340 so I have a total of $865 in them. Probably paid too much as I could have had new for $1000 + shipping.
Series9
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 7 2012, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 7 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Joe,
I suspect they are very rare in 914 sizes. I just purchased and had polished a set of 15X7 0 offset Datsun Z Panasports. I bought them for $525 shipped and had them polished by a local shop in Reno for $340 so I have a total of $865 in them. Probably paid too much as I could have had new for $1000 + shipping.

Thank you. That's helpful.
kkid
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Apr 6 2012, 10:08 AM) *

japanasports!

sorry, couldn't resist...

I think Panasport is a Japanese company.

http://www.panasport.jp/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.