Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
Speedo quit while going to work. I removed my speedo (I pulled over to do it), and found that the cable had snapped at the gauge tip end.

Anyone else seen this kind of failure before? Nope, don't know what brand it is. It's served faithfully for 3 years for me.

-Rusty
mr914
Happened to me about 6 years ago on a drive from Omaha to Topeka. Mine broke where the tip connected to the cable.

Put the tip in the spedo and tried to rotate. Spedo was seized.
Lawrence
Hmmm... that's not good news. I'll have to check it out.

-Rusty
markb
I had it happen to me after I turned my speedo for a better view (smaller steering wheel). It didn't break immediately, lasted a few weeks then broke.
Lawrence
The speedo seized up on you?

I wonder why that would happen.
olav
The speedo can seize if someone puts too much lubrication into the speedo cable.

As the cable turns clockwise the lubricant works its way back into the speedo and fills it up.

Over time it gets so full that the speedo seizes and the components need to be replaced.

Happened to me.
TonyAKAVW
I had the grease seizure happen to mine as well. Until I read your post I had no idea why the back of the speedo had all this grease on it. Makes perfects sense though!

-Tony
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(markb @ May 8 2003, 11:52 AM)
I had it happen to me after I turned my speedo for a better view (smaller steering wheel). It didn't break immediately, lasted a few weeks then broke.

Ouch. I rotated my speedo for the same reason. Maybe I better turn it back blink.gif
VegasRacer
I've had one break on the far end of the cable.
Replaced the cable and it did the same thing a week later.
Never figured out the problem. Sold that teener years ago.
I really only look at the tach anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.