Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Battery for Nelson's Build.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I want to use a race battery for Nelson's build.

I figured I'd put it in the rear trunk, right above the starter to keep the cable run short.

Who has experience with these. Am I setting him up for difficulties due to the small size/capacity?

stugray
That looks like the exact one I bought.
I havent run with it yet though so no experience to share.

I WAS going to put the battery behind the passenger seat, but decided to just go with the stock location.
I even decided to keep the battery shelf stock so that I could switch to a standard battery in a pinch.

Stu
Randal
I've used one of the small interstate motorcycle 12V batteries for three years. Hard to believe it is still going strong and my motor has a bunch of compression, so tough to turn over. Also the car sits most of the time on a maintenance charger.

I think it weighs about 13lbs.
okieflyr
I've been using an Odyssey 680 for almost 4 years now. It has never left me stranded. My modern engine will fire off on the 2-3rd turn in the dead of winter(Pennsylvania) after sitting for two months without a problem. There is probably 2-3 shots of juice so there is not alot of reserve like a full size battery.
ConeDodger
I had two over a period of 3 years go bad before I gave up and bought a regular battery. I would have been fine if I had used a good maintainer like a CTek on it. They don't like not being charged and I have too many cars...
Elliot Cannon
Is weight really that critical? Use a regular size battery and ask Nelson to lose a few pounds. av-943.gif Get the Optima and put it up front where it belongs. biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
the primary concern with these batteries is that they DO NOT TOLERATE BEING COMPLETELY DISCHARGED. unlike a typical lead acid cell, the gel cell can internally short if discharged below X volts. once you let that happen, its trash. this is not a big deal with an inerstate wet car battery. these batteries have a higher energy density because teh lead used is of high purity. this enables thinner plates , more surface area.
if you want to set it and forget it, this is not for you. if you understand that high performance requires monitoring then it is teh only way to go.
sean_v8_914
isnt that Braille over a grand?
JoeSharp
The 680 would not start the race car on the track if the guys stalled the car. It had to come out and I put in a larger one.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Apr 8 2012, 02:25 AM) *

The 680 would not start the race car on the track if the guys stalled the car. It had to come out and I put in a larger one.

I used the Odessy 680 with good luck, but for everyday and stereo and...
I have Odessy 925 never a problem.
Madswede
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 7 2012, 08:25 PM) *

Is weight really that critical? Use a regular size battery and ask Nelson to lose a few pounds. av-943.gif Get the Optima and put it up front where it belongs. biggrin.gif

I heard that! dry.gif You're no creampuff yourself! bootyshake.gif

But the point is made ... if it isn't reliable, I'd rather have the extra weight since I'm not exactly a wee lad by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm only likely to get a bit rounder since I quit smoking. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 7 2012, 09:50 PM) *

isnt that Braille over a grand?

Nah. Under $250 is what I saw.
Series9
I got this B2015 to try out. It was $160.
Madswede
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 8 2012, 09:09 AM) *

I got this B2015 to try out. It was $160.

Kewl. sunglasses.gif
Tom
http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/br..._2012_sema_show
Expensive, but impressive.
Tom
carr914
This DEKA is the same exact Battery for about 2/3 the Price

Click to view attachment
RON S.
QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 19 2012, 03:14 AM) *

This is an awesome info release.

Me thinks me may have found my 2013 upgrade project for the rocket..

At 550 for this battery, that is less than half the cost of Brailles other lithuim ion batteries of similar size and CCa ratings.

I've been sitting on the fence, with a light weight battery swap because the 1000-1200.00 bucks for a battery just didn't make economical sense just to save weight.

Definitely looking better.

I have Odessy 925 never a problem.

I too have a 925 and so far no concerns
Madswede
We've had zero problems with the Braille that Joe bought and put in there. It kinda seems to be a bit reluctant in the first fractions of a second of cranking, a kinda, "Whoa! uhhh... OK there we go!" sort of feeling. But it turns that high strung motor right over.
campbellcj
I have used a 680 for years with great results. My car has no electronics or added load however. For a street-driven car I'd probably go 925 or back to a regular Optima.
nein14
I have the Braille battery in the front trunk of my GT for several years with no problem even with a amplifier for my radio and Crane ignition and no relay board.

Has work better than the Optimas I had and save a lot of weight
monkeyboy
I have the Optima 925 in my car. I love it. I am not sure if a smaller battery would work or not, but I plan on adding a stereo, so I went with the biggest battery that would fit.
RiceNeck
I like the braille products and my car uses the ML20 and I also have a high torque starter. Both parts save some weight and are good quality.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
follow these links for the 4 lb lithium option
http://www.axpaddock.com/viewtopic.php?f=4...6ebde64629002fd
bring $$$$
happy11.gif
beerchug.gif

I had the "XS Power 680" for 2+ years and it did start to loose charge this year. 14lbs of D680 knock-off. I swapped back to a full-size this winter and no worries. The "small battery" is a great way to drop 15-20lbs!
driving.gif
76-914
I used UPS batteries in my plane for years. I found that by reducing the the charge (external regulator) to below 13.5 volts they lasted longer. They weighed about 4 lb's IIRC and cost < $70 and didn't leak when inverted. The down side is that when they go south they do so with little warning but were good for +3 yr's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.