Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure / temp gauge - which sending unit ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drdave427
I ran across a really nice 911 oil pressure / oil temp gauge - I understand I need a new dual pole sending unit for the oil pressure gauge and stock oil light - does anyone know if I have to use a different temp sender ?? The temp side of the gauge has the exact same wiring connection as my stock temp gauge in the console. I hooked the 911 gauge to it just to see - I had driven the car around a bit and the stock gauge was about half way on the scale. I immediately connected the 911 gauge and it showed about 190 degrees. It seemed low -maybe not. Thought I'd ask the experts !!
pcar916
Buy a 911 sender that matches the year the gauge came from.

Good luck!
drdave427
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 7 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Buy a 911 sender that matches the year the gauge came from.

Good luck!

Does it fit/ install where the stock 914 one does ??
pcar916
QUOTE(drdave427 @ Apr 7 2012, 01:07 PM) *

For the "form factor" (shape) answer you'll have to get a response on that from the 4-cylinder guys. Electrically though, the sending unit has to match the temperature range with the gauge. In general sending units are placed in whichever location gives the correct temperature "snapshot". Do I remember the four has the sender on the bottom plate? If so that's gonna get erased by some road obstacle.

Since I'm out of my element so I'm gonna watch for the answer as well. Plenty of four cylinder experts hover here. They'll know if there's a better place to locate a 911 sender.
drdave427
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 7 2012, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(drdave427 @ Apr 7 2012, 01:07 PM) *

For the "form factor" (shape) answer you'll have to get a response on that from the 4-cylinder guys. Electrically though, the sending unit has to match the temperature range with the gauge. In general sending units are placed in whichever location gives the correct temperature "snapshot". Do I remember the four has the sender on the bottom plate? If so that's gonna get erased by some road obstacle.

Since I'm out of my element so I'm gonna watch for the answer as well. Plenty of four cylinder experts hover here. They'll know if there's a better place to locate a 911 sender.

I looked the sender up on one of the online parts stores -- the gauge is for a 1976 911. The 911 sender for 1974 - 76 models is shown as the same one for a 914. So I guess it should work !!
pcar916
QUOTE(drdave427 @ Apr 7 2012, 08:23 PM) *

The 911 sender for 1974 - 76 models is shown as the same one for a 914. So I guess it should work !!

Excellent, have a blast. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.