Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
So i am working on the front end right now and i am having trouble removing the steering tie rods. I have 2 ball joint separators that I borrowed from a local member, but the ball joint doesn't want to move. here is a pic of separators I have.

I removed the split cotter pin, castellated nut and am now trying to press it out.

Am I missing something?

Click to view attachment
type47fan
Check this Pelican Parts Tech article, especially figure 3. Looks like you need a different tool.

Good luck.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...rut_removal.htm
malaga_red75
QUOTE(type47fan @ Apr 7 2012, 11:37 AM) *

Check this Pelican Parts Tech article, especially figure 3. Looks like you need a different tool.

Good luck.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...rut_removal.htm

Thanks,
Yea, I saw that article and although I don't have the porsche tool, i would assume that the tool i am using is effectively doing the same thing?? maybe not?
Valy
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Apr 7 2012, 11:26 AM) *

So i am working on the front end right now and i am having trouble removing the steering tie rods. I have 2 ball joint separators that I borrowed from a local member, but the ball joint doesn't want to move. here is a pic of separators I have.

I removed the split cotter pin, castellated nut and am now trying to press it out.

Am I missing something?

Click to view attachment

Use the force Luke!

The press you have is fine. Just use more force and it will give. Make sure the press holds firmly or it will snap.

The alternative is a pickle fork but that will kill the ball-joint rubber.
malaga_red75
bought a new tie rod tool. got it out easy. will post pics in my progress thread soon
TravisNeff
3lb dead blow hammer works like a charm on the tie rods and also for separating the ball joint from the strut. To get the ball joint separated from the strut, get the car on jackstands and put the jack under the wheel hub and take off some of the pressure, smack the A-arm with a dead blow a couple times and it'll come free.
Series9
This is the correct tool. This is an American version that I modified, but you get the idea.

malaga_red75
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 7 2012, 05:55 PM) *

This is the correct tool. This is an American version that I modified, but you get the idea.

here is what i used. The problem with the pullers I was using was that there was too much flexibility because of all the joints. I needed something short and stout...

Click to view attachment
Series9
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Apr 7 2012, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 7 2012, 05:55 PM) *

here is what i used. The problem with the pullers I was using was that there was too much flexibility because of all the joints. I needed something short and stout...

Click to view attachment

OK. You figured it out.
913B
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 7 2012, 04:22 PM) *

3lb dead blow hammer works like a charm on the tie rods and also for separating the ball joint from the strut. To get the ball joint separated from the strut, get the car on jackstands and put the jack under the wheel hub and take off some of the pressure, smack the A-arm with a dead blow a couple times and it'll come free.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.