Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where have you rebuit an engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
Copied this off of the 'cheap engine' thread:

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 30 2004, 04:36 PM)
You only need a set of craftsman tools and a 10 dollar torque wrench to do the job- You ain't doing that with a 911 engine and you won't do a six conversion on your dining room table if you want, but you can assemble this engine there if you want!

Reminded me of back in college. I visited a school mate and his wife at their apartment. I walk in the place and in the middle of the floor is a half torn down VW engine. My first reaction was 'whoa Syd, what does Marsha think about this?' ohmy.gif

This couple isn't trailer trash types that you would expect this kind of thing. It was just that a job needed to be done and the aprtment living room was the best place to do it. BTW, These folks are still my best friends and Syd is the PO of my 914.

So, where have you rebuilt an engine?

-Jeff
jim912928
Basement of our first house I rebuilt a 66 912 engine. I carried it down in 5 boxes and spent the winter cleaning and rebuilding this baby (in a room right belowthe kitchen...that really made food smell good somedays! lol). When it was all done (spring)...I was so excited to get it outside to the garage to put it in the car I realized it was way wider then the door ways! I panic'd and started in on the %$##$%'s when my wife simply said...TURN IT SIDEWAYS STUPID!

Boy did I feel STUPID!.....but, got it out and was driving around later that same day!
vortrex
in high school my brother degreased a VW 1600 case in the bath tub (mom loved that) and built a chevy 350 on a stand in his bedroom.
DonTraver
Here's a picture of me in the frontroom during the rebuild of the engine for my Harley. I was getting her ready to paint the lower end with wrinkle finish paint. Shot the paint outside, then carried her into the closet in the spare room. I'd put a heater in the closet to get the heat up about 110F. Wrinkle paint wrinkle's best with heat.
spare time toys
Back in 77 helped a good friend build a blown 350 for his 69 camaro. We did it in the living room of his apartment. He was on the ground floor so we took it out the sliding door in the diningroom. We had it on a stand and put down a plywood strip to cross the door track. He did not get his deposit back when he got kicked out. But he was a freak and it was a heck of a party pad. drunk.gif beerchug.gif smoke.gif
scruz914
Don, There is no way you avoided getting grease on that couch!

vortex, That tub must have lived the rest of its life with grease embeded in the porclin.

-Jeff
Allan
Dude I had a converted garage for my apartment and rebuilt a '75 "Fiat 124" and a '75 MG midget motor in it. Not only did I lose my deposit but got sued for the deep cleaning costs. It sucked!!
DonTraver
My wife took the picture, we'd just got married, so I was still getting away with a lot, lol. It was her couch, and I did not get any grease on it.

I used to rent a 1 bedroom, parked my bike in the frontroom, told the owner, if I ruin the carpet, I'll replace it, when I left 4 years later, I didn't have to replace the carpet. She did freak when she showed up and I had the primary tore down in the frontroom.
Jeff Bonanno
Sweet, Don. I have built many bike engines in the livingroom and kitchen. Valve job with bike pulled in the kitchen was a mainstay.

jbb
URY914
My best friend in high school rebuilt his MGA engine in his bedroom and I don't think his mom ever knew.
blaize
A few years ago I rebuilt a type 1 engine in the living room of a TINY third floor walk-up apartment. had it on the stand in one room and the spare engine (came with the car) on the floor in the bedroom. mind you I was in college so the "bed" was just a mattress on the floor with a spare hood for a honda as the headboard.

Silly thing was we pulled the engine and carried it up three flights to the appartment and as mentioned already it wouldn't fit thru the door. turned it sideways and then realized we forgot to drain it first. yeah, carpet looked OUTSTANDING! at the time I had a CRX, a bug, a midget, and three bikes. the complex had one of those rules about no dead cars in the lot so I would have to push the bug and mg around the lot every few days so they thought they were being used. all the bikes were in one spot so they let that go.

I didn't even bother calling about the deposit when I left.
scruz914
QUOTE(blaize @ Oct 1 2004, 08:28 PM)
spare engine (came with the car) on the floor in the bedroom. mind you I was in college so the "bed" was just a mattress on the floor with a spare hood for a honda as the headboard.

So how did your evening romances go? "Excuse the engine on the floor and the oil smell, the bed is right over here." boldblue.gif grouphug.gif

These stories are great. The things you can get away with when you are young.

-Jeff
Aaron Cox
tables arent for engine building! theyre for rich kids with 30k trucks to have sex on! laugh.gif
charlesmac
My 2nd year of college i had the 2.0 engine from my '73 914 in my dorm room, pieces everywhere. One night i came in and my roomate told me that the RA (resident assistant) came by for a room check and ask what the heck all this was, he told him i was in the auto-repair class and this was a project for the class wink.gif , they never said anything else.
scruz914
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 1 2004, 09:07 PM)
tables arent for engine building! theyre for rich kids with 30k trucks to have sex on!  :lol:

Lock those doors!!!! rocking nana.gif

-Jeff
Meredith
QUOTE(scruz914 @ Oct 1 2004, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 1 2004, 09:07 PM)
tables arent for engine building! theyre for rich kids with 30k trucks to have sex on!  :lol:

Lock those doors!!!! rocking nana.gif

-Jeff

Man, is he ever going to live that one down?

Mer
scruz914
Nope. slap.gif
Sammy
I'm rebuilding and engine right now, get this, in the GARAGE!
Ya, I know, but it's the only place I have to do it. wink.gif

I've done a bunch of engines over the years, every one was in a garage except one.
Had to replace a connecting rod on a chebby V8 on the side of the road in mexico. That was a fun day. it ran good on the way home tho.
J P Stein
I built a SB chebbie in the basement of our first rental house.
I planned to just do the short block....but it was a long winter.
It took 5 other guys & a case of beer to get that fucker up the stairs. Iron sux.
iiibdsiil
Hey guys, never on the kitchen table. It was some old antique thing that I am sure would have fallen apart on the first movement.

Ya'll are hurting my feelings. :finger2:

Where's the boo hoo hoo smily?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(iiibdsiil @ Oct 2 2004, 07:09 PM)
Hey guys, never on the kitchen table. It was some old antique thing that I am sure would have fallen apart on the first movement.

Ya'll are hurting my feelings. :finger2:

Where's the boo hoo hoo smily?

ill stop hurting your feelings when you pass me a 3.2 914 laugh.gif jk your a VERY funny man lol2.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 2 2004, 08:22 AM)
Had to replace a connecting rod on a chebby V8 on the side of the road in mexico. That was a fun day. it ran good on the way home tho.

That reminds me of the time I swapped out an engine in a junk yard in Modesto. Story is we were on the way to Yosemitie in a VW bus and the engine threw a rod (not my bus). We were able to nurse the thing (don't ask, it was like Thor's Hammer pounding around) to a wrecking yard in Modesto and negotiated to buy an engine. I mentioned that I (the owner of the bus had no mechanical ability) was planning on renting a floor jack and swapping the engine where ever I could.

Man, that got those guys going. Within minutes I had full access to pneumatic tools, the "new" engine was delivered to a clean covered space and they had a fork lift to raise the bus up so I could get to the underside stuff.

To make a long story short, within 2 hours we were back on the road and cross country skiing in the back woods almost as planned.

-Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.