Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach and volt gauge quit working...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black914_4
drove to town today. Neither tach or volt gauge was working and the light on the left of the fuel gauge was on.

Is there a wire somewhere that might have fell off?

I checked the belt. I can feel it so it's still there. Been meaning to change it but looks really hard to get to.

checked with meter at battery. 13.5 w/ car off & 14.3 running
Series9
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 7 2012, 09:07 PM) *

drove to town today. Neither tach or volt gauge was working and the light on the left of the fuel gauge was on.

Is there a wire somewhere that might have fell off?

I checked the belt. I can feel it so it's still there. Been meaning to change it but looks really hard to get to.

Tach and V gauge share the red/white stripe wire for power supply. Check fuses.

There are other things on that circuit too. Were you out of gas or just didn't notice the fuel quantity was at zero?
underthetire
Btdt. Kicked a fuse out.
falconfp2001
Happened to me once and it was a fuse. Car still ran though. One connection comes from your neg on the coil for your tack input. Oxidation will make it sketchy and sometimes you just have to pull it off and put it back to correct.
Black914_4
QUOTE(Series9 @ Apr 7 2012, 10:10 PM) *

Were you out of gas or just didn't notice the fuel quantity was at zero?

I guess the red light with a "g" above stands for "gas"? dry.gif lol
Just installed a new pump so it only had 1-2 gals.

Checked fuses, all good. dropped the board down and checked the two red/white wires that I seen & both had power...
Black914_4
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 7 2012, 10:19 PM) *

Happened to me once and it was a fuse. Car still ran though. One connection comes from your neg on the coil for your tack input. Oxidation will make it sketchy and sometimes you just have to pull it off and put it back to correct.

I'll pull the gauges in the morning and check connections there again.

Thanks
edwin
The light with the G is the alt charge light. Normaly the alternator wont charge without that light working properly. comes on when it gets no power from the charge circuit.
Edwin
Black914_4
Pulled the tach gauge. wiggled wires, all seemed good. It had power

The red "g" light was not on, but my gas gauge wasn't working either.
Couple mins later the light is back on and my fuel gauge is working...

I did just mess with the relay under the pass seat couple days ago. The big yellow wires are hooked together and has power and the black wires are hooked together.
Black914_4
QUOTE(edwin @ Apr 8 2012, 05:34 AM) *

The light with the G is the alt charge light. Normaly the alternator wont charge without that light working properly. comes on when it gets no power from the charge circuit.
Edwin

OK.

with the meter on the battery it show 13.4 (car off) and 14.4 (car running)
so I think its working..
I didn't test it when the light was off and fuel wasnt working though.
Black914_4
Update.
Driving the car to work right now. The volt gauge still isn't working. The tach works as long as I am giving it gas. I let off the gas and it goes to 0. Generator light is still on also
DRPHIL914
this happened to me last month - but the #9 fuse was blown- i lost the tach and voltage. the red light was on, but car ran fine and i had dash lights etc. also fuel level was not working. - once i replaced the fuse all was o.k.
for some reason when my fresh air fan is on it cause a circuit overload, and blew the fuse - and that is strange since it should be on the #8 not #9, - but if you are loosing the same gauges as i did, if your fuse is not blowing, it has to be a short or connection that is common to that circuit, i could be the fuel level sender connection at the gauge- that is where i would start trouble shooting.-

good luck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.