Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took Off The Strainer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Is this normal? I know the Fir needles aren't but all the other hard crusty stuff????

I shouldn't admit this BUT it's the first time I pulled this strainer off since installing the engine that sat for 6+ years. slap.gif The first time I tried to pull it out it wouldn't budge so I figured to leave well enough alone. I tried a few other times but same-same. This time it came fairly easy. Good thing, huh?

......b
anthony
I had some of that same crud when I changed mine. The second time I looked at the strainer there was no crud. I'm guessing the previous owner hadn't cleaned or changed the strainer for years.
scruz914
I have yet to pull the strainer on my 914 but I have pulled many from my VW bus. That looks OK to me. Are any of those chunks metal? I remember only finding chunks of carbon like stuff in the bus.

So, what's up with the needles?

I can also appreciate not pulling the strainer if it didn't come easily. No need to make a ten minute job into a week long career.

-Jeff
Series9
That's your strainer doing its job. Don't worry about it.

BUT, pull it out and clean it frequently.

Joe
Aaron Cox
i pull and check mine every oil change...replace every 5th oil change (15000 miles)
Andyrew
That looks VERY familiar....
URY914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 1 2004, 10:57 PM)
That looks VERY familiar....

agree.gif

Seen that same crap, I don't know how may times.

The outside of the car makes rust, the inside of the engine makes crud.

Someone needs to harness this energy and make some money from it.
smile.gif

Paul
BMartin914
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but...

Where is the strainer? Did an oil change the weekend before last (1st oil change on my new car) and expected to find the strainer when I took the tuna can down. Didn't see anything.
Bruce Allert
Ben, after the tuna lid comes off you need to gingerly pull/pry the next section out/down. There are 2 small horizontal slits in the sides of the strainer. Put your finger on one of those one side at a time and work it out or use a screwdriver.

...b
type47
... and if you've never done it or are new to the type IV engine, the torque on that nut is only 9.4 ft-lbs !!!! important to verify the torque on that nut!!!!
BMartin914
The nut for the tuna can = 9.4 ft. lbs?
Sammy
LOL when I first hauled the turbo (before it was turbocharged) home I pulled the strainer, pine needles and leaves, lot of them. I could barely see the strainer under all the stuff.
That was when I decided to start taking the engine apart. Obviously it had sat outside for some time not all sealed up.
Didn't find any damage to the bottom end tho, just the top end was a little tired.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.