Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arrrgh. . Now the gas gauge!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Was working fine. . had been up over 2/4 mark, descended as I drove a bunch. . .filled the tank at maybe 1/3 below the 2/4 mark. . now it will not go above the 2/4 mark at all, but does go clear to E when the car is off.

Suggestions?

(I'm have a gauge-bad weekend!!)
Dave_Darling
Sounds like the float in the fuel sender is stuck. You can remove it from the tank and clean it CAREFULLY. Or replace it, possibly.

--DD
CrashDown
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 8 2012, 08:53 PM) *

Sounds like the float in the fuel sender is stuck. You can remove it from the tank and clean it CAREFULLY. Or replace it, possibly.

--DD

^^^ Dave Is probably right!

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. New sender and the issue is gone. Fuel Level Sender tubes are pretty inexpensive. If ya can't clean it, replace. If your not comfy with cleaning it, replace...lol.
Elliot Cannon
My gauge isn't at all accurate, so I always re-set my trip odometer every time I fill up with gas. At 250 miles I might start looking for a station. At 350 miles I REALLY have to find some gas. laugh.gif
worn
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 8 2012, 02:03 PM) *

Was working fine. . had been up over 2/4 mark, descended as I drove a bunch. . .filled the tank at maybe 1/3 below the 2/4 mark. . now it will not go above the 2/4 mark at all, but does go clear to E when the car is off.

Suggestions?

I bought a 914 that had been sitting for 19 years. The seller stated that the gas gauge worked. Actually at best it only registered between empty and 1/2 full. Most of the things on the car steadily showed up as emerging problems, but the gas sender eventually fixed itself. After a few tank fulls its range steadily increased until it now actually works! I don't know why, but they like to hang up at 1/2 full. I have subsequently boiled out the tank and derusted the system, but I have the original sender. I wiped it down with a cloth, but it was working by the time I took it out, so I don't know if it helped to clean it.

They are right, it isn't hard to replace, or to get out and see how bad it is. Good luck.
mrholland2
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 9 2012, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 8 2012, 02:03 PM) *

Suggestions?

I bought a 914 that had been sitting for 19 years. The seller stated that the gas gauge worked. Actually at best it only registered between empty and 1/2 full. Most of the things on the car steadily showed up as emerging problems, but the gas sender eventually fixed itself. After a few tank fulls its range steadily increased until it now actually works! I don't know why, but they like to hang up at 1/2 full. I have subsequently boiled out the tank and derusted the system, but I have the original sender. I wiped it down with a cloth, but it was working by the time I took it out, so I don't know if it helped to clean it.

They are right, it isn't hard to replace, or to get out and see how bad it is. Good luck.

Thanks..

And now, it seems to be reading as well as it ever did. (Which means a best guess within a quarter tank). How accurate SHOULD this gas gauge actually be?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.