Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Think this'll pass smog?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bob91403
$9,000 for the conversion kit. Does anyone a cost per mile on this type of set-up? Right now it costs me about 7cents a mile for gas. What's the cost to plug this thing in and charge it. And, how many miles before you have to replace all those batteries? What does the car weigh? I thought about doing something similar. Same motor, a lot less batteries, and a honda generator for when you're not just going to the market. I know the generator doesn't have the juice to keep up with the drain, but it would lower the expense, the weight, and extend the range.
sgomes
Holy Shit! Ok, nobody move! I'm over there checkin' that car out tomorrow. He's right near my work. Otmar do you know this person/car?

Does anyone a cost per mile on this type of set-up?
I'm getting about 3 to 4 cents per mile. You gotta factor in other things like charging efficiency and driving etc... not to mention having to replace your "fuel tank" every 15k to 20k miles. I'm still calculating mine but my guess is around 6 cents per mile all told. With your 7 cents/mile are you counting oil and other sundries? (i.e. tune ups and such?)

What's the cost to plug this thing in and charge it
about $2.75 for a full tank. When I was driving last I was charging at work so I never paid a dime. aktion035.gif

And, how many miles before you have to replace all those batteries?
Depends on the batteries! My lead acid I have to replace about ever 15K to 20k. The other extreme is probably LiIon and no one really knows how long those will last 'cause they're too new. Most guess close to 60k to 70k.

What does the car weigh?
I'll tell you as soon as I'm rolling again. About 2800 lbs for me.

Some people have been known to tow a genset but that's rare. Turns out 120V and 220V outlets are EVERYWHERE in this country. I'll bet money that IHOP has an outlet outside. Plug in and have some pancakes. For the big over night charge almost every hotel has outlets for RVs and such. It'll be full by morning or way sooner if you have one of the big daddy chargers and can find a nice 50A 220V outlet at a shop or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.