Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smells like teener spirit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawn914
The car - 1974 914 2.0, converted to Dual Weber carb by a PO. It starts right up once or twice a week for a drive when weather dry. Runs and drives fine. Surprisingly so - love it.

The problem - just after some hard acceleration, when the Webers are at most sonorous and pleasing, I can smell fuel in the car with windows shut and targa top attached. Smell goes away fairly quickly, but is a bit disconcerting since the car is new to me and could have some issue related to fuel delivery of which I am not aware.

No smell of fuel when car in garage and engine not running, or when idling.

Anyone experience this with Weber carbs?

Any other thoughts on origin of smell and/or a fix (if an issue) much appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn
balljoint
Replace the fuel lines in the tunnel.
wingnut86
agree.gif
jmill
Seems to me that tunnel line issues would smell of fuel all the time. I would vote on fuel splashing around in the tank on hard acceleration and leaking out into the tank compartment. You would then smell it in the cabin. How is your tank vented?

I'd check the vent line and the gas cap seal first.
dlee6204
I'd check the vent line and the gas cap seal first.

agree.gif
Michael N
Check the little hose off the expansion tank. Mine came loose and caused the cabin to smell of gas. The smell was noticeable more on twisty back roads.

Click to view attachment

914itis
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 14 2012, 10:29 PM) *

I know you replaced your vacuum hoses. I replaced mine too and found that I had to add clamps on some connections. How long has it been since your replaced your air-intake hoses?

I have the same small with my dual webbers. I was told that the downside of carbs are the smell of gas and loudness. Maybe the carbs guys will give us their input soon.
stuttgart46
I thought all 914's smelled like that and that's why you smell you just mowed the yard after a long Sunday drive.
Mikey914
Check the cap. and tank seals and overflow hose 1st. If it's a cornering issue that's probably the culprit. Check the rear targa seal on the roof, if its old and cracked you are getting it from the carbs (hopefully this is the case) . There is a low pressure area created behind the cabin, so the warm air will rise and fill the void. If the seal is cracked or there is a gap, you may be getting the smell from the engine compartment. You would only get this with the roof on.

If it's an actual leak you would smell it all the time and in the garage. The carb fuel pump is much lower pressure so leaks are less likely.

Hope this helps.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Michael N @ Apr 8 2012, 10:54 PM) *

Check the little hose off the expansion tank. Mine came loose and caused the cabin to smell of gas. The smell was noticeable more on twisty back roads.

Click to view attachment

The seal under the filler neck will leak under hard conering. Or not so hard conering if the tank is full. Seals are available and easy to replace. I replaced the seal on both my cars and the smell disappeared.
Cheers, Elliot
shawn914
To all - many thanks for pointers. I will check these over the next few days as time allows (work!). I did not mention fuel tank is above 3/4 at this time and the odor seems worse with tank this full. i.e. will check seals etc.
Thx again.
timofly
Is the charcoal canister still in place and the hoses to/from it still attached? If not, the hoses from the engine compartment will flow fumes forward into the front trunk and you'll get the fuel smell at irregular intervals. The hoses run through the longs on the driver's side and emerge right around the brake fluid reservoir.

PBC914
Never hurts to check your tank around the areas it sits on with the felt/wool pads. I just replaced my tank and lines last week. My tank rusted from the outside where it sat on the wool pads on the firewall closest to the driver's side. I had the same issue where I could smell gas around hard cornering/cornering in general. New lines, new tank, new tank seals, no smell of gas now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.