Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 body-in-white still available? Really?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
So I'm perusing the Porsche PET and I see this:

914 501 003 11 914-6 body-in-white

"Yeah, right," I think, "probably NLA." Except PP lists the prices as roughly $7700.

Still available? Seriously?

Anybody know anything about this? Anybody ever seen one or maybe ordered one?
SirAndy
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 8 2012, 09:48 PM) *

"Yeah, right," I think, "probably NLA." Except PP lists the prices as roughly $7700.

The search is your friend, this was hashed out extensively not too long ago ...
sunglasses.gif
worn
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 9 2012, 05:04 AM) *

I don't think this addresses the question. Are there bodies out there available? From either Porsche or an after market supplier? The examples of 57 Chevy, Mustang, MGB, TR6 are all made as replacement body shells that you can really buy - at least sometimes. Is the same true for the 914? I think not, but it is intriguing.
jbyron
A couple places in that thread, it was indeed mentioned that it was no longer available.

That said, I did see on AA's website that they offer a Body in White for about 7800, and I was able to put it in my shopping cart.

However, when I called and spoke to a live person, he confirmed that it was no longer available.

-Jamie
carr914
To answer your question - No, they are not available
jmill
QUOTE(jbyron @ Apr 9 2012, 11:02 AM) *

That said, I did see on AA's website that they offer a Body in White for about 7800, and I was able to put it in my shopping cart.

However, when I called and spoke to a live person, he confirmed that it was no longer available.

-Jamie

"No, the body in white is NLA but we just happen to have some beautifully restored examples in our used car inventory. Our restoration experts can also restore yours to like new condition using our extensive inventory of parts" rolleyes.gif
ConeDodger
If that were true, and body-in-white were available at $7700.00 I would buy two right now. And I mean, RIGHT NOW! evilgrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2012, 09:43 AM) *

If that were true, and body-in-white were available at $7700.00 I would buy two right now. And I mean, RIGHT NOW! evilgrin.gif

I just received a nice pressing imported from Canada. It was carefully packaged and actually came as what I had ordered in a timely way. I believe that the mustang bodies etc that you can buy resulted from aftermarket stamping manufacturers finally making all of the pressings needed, so took the next step. British Heritage may have wanted to make the whole cars all along, but I am not sure. So... all we need to do is keep the aftermarket for pressings lively until the whole body arrives. Right?
914Sixer
The last body in white was sold sometime back in the early 90's to some one in Germany.
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 9 2012, 10:00 AM) *

agree.gif

Can we please let this thread die?
rolleyes.gif
Cracker
They aren't available anywhere??? slap.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2012, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 9 2012, 10:00 AM) *

agree.gif

Can we please let this thread die?
rolleyes.gif

bigkensteele
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 9 2012, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2012, 09:43 AM) *

I just received a nice pressing imported from Canada. It was carefully packaged and actually came as what I had ordered in a timely way. I believe that the mustang bodies etc that you can buy resulted from aftermarket stamping manufacturers finally making all of the pressings needed, so took the next step. British Heritage may have wanted to make the whole cars all along, but I am not sure. So... all we need to do is keep the aftermarket for pressings lively until the whole body arrives. Right?

The difference being that Mustangs, Camaros, '57 Chevs and whatever else they are reproducing entire body shells for have basked in popularity since the day they left the assembly line. There is a greater demand than an affordable supply. That is not the case for our much beloved, but mis-understood by the masses 914.

It would cost RD millions of dollars to create the tooling to reproduce entire body shells, and their break-even day would come sometime after the year 2100, long after they went bankrupt from the effort, and probably long after fossil fuels have been outlawed. stirthepot.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 8 2012, 09:48 PM) *

Dave, I had my dealer parts guy search all versions of the body in white last year, & none were available then, nor for several years. sad.gif

I probably would've done it had they been! dry.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 11 2012, 04:53 PM) *

Dave, I had my dealer parts guy search all versions of the body in white last year, & none were available then, nor for several years. sad.gif

I probably would've done it had they been! dry.gif

Tom, thanks for responding. It's good to get first-person corroboration of the rumors.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 11 2012, 07:25 PM) *

Tom, thanks for responding. It's good to get first-person corroboration of the rumors.

"corroboration of the rumors"? I think you have that backwards.
shades.gif
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2012, 10:32 PM) *

shades.gif

agree.gif

Exactly, the rest of us that replied must be Idiots. You give people Links, Info & they ignore it.
zymurgist
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 12 2012, 05:26 AM) *

shades.gif

agree.gif

Exactly, the rest of us that replied must be Idiots. You give people Links, Info & they ignore it.

Ya give them books, and ya give them more books, and all they do is chew the covers.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 12 2012, 04:14 AM) *

shades.gif

agree.gif

Ya give them books, and ya give them more books, and all they do is chew the covers.

Thanks, Andy, Zymurgist, and Carr, for pointing out that this topic has been discussed before. I reviewed the posts and didn't quite find what I was looking for, which is this: a direct, first-person recounting of the status of the bodies. Here's what I did find:
"If these bodies were available at that price, I'd buy two of them." (speculative)
"We've talked about this before. Use the search." (evasive and dismissive)
"You can buy a '69 Camaro body-in-white." (irrelevant)
"George Hussey said he'd sell me a repaired body." (opportunistic)
"The last 914 body sold in early 1990 to some guy in Germany." (hearsay)

You'll forgive me if despite your personal conviction that these are no longer available, my level of proof is a bit higher. I asked for personal corroboration, and only got it from the 14th post in the thread. Had any of you offered such a personal anecdote on post #2, then I wouldn't be on this soapbox.

Gentlemen, it was not my intent to give offense. Thanks for your input.
shuie
No (not speculative)

However, as soon as the folks at RD and Trevor's Hammerworks are finished with the dies for everything we need to completely recreate a 356 A,B,C, Convertible D, and a 911, I'm petty sure they will work on the 914 stuff smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 12 2012, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 12 2012, 04:14 AM) *

shades.gif

agree.gif

Thanks, Andy, Zymurgist, and Carr, for pointing out that this topic has been discussed before. I reviewed the posts and didn't quite find what I was looking for, which is this: a direct, first-person recounting of the status of the bodies. Here's what I did find:
"If these bodies were available at that price, I'd buy two of them." (speculative)
"We've talked about this before. Use the search." (evasive and dismissive)
"You can buy a '69 Camaro body-in-white." (irrelevant)
"George Hussey said he'd sell me a repaired body." (opportunistic)
"The last 914 body sold in early 1990 to some guy in Germany." (hearsay)

You'll forgive me if despite your personal conviction that these are no longer available, my level of proof is a bit higher. I asked for personal corroboration, and only got it from the 14th post in the thread. Had any of you offered such a personal anecdote on post #2, then I wouldn't be on this soapbox.

Gentlemen, it was not my intent to give offense. Thanks for your input.

If you had clicked on the Links that were given, you would have read that I used to be Motorsports Manager at a Porsche Dealership, that I had done some Research, found out they were NLA and Posted that information.

In this Thread, Andy & I stated that the answer was simple, they were Not Available. You chose not to believe us.
CrashDown
This thread is all kinds of win....
SirAndy
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 12 2012, 08:16 PM) *
Had any of you offered such a personal anecdote on post #2, then I wouldn't be on this soapbox.

Coincidentally, post #2 in this thread had all the answers you were looking for. It was your choice to ignore it.

Rumor: The 914 body in white is still available.

Fact: It is not available and hasn't been for many, many years.

Just because you didn't like the answers you got in this thread doesn't mean the answers were wrong.
popcorn[1].gif
get off my lawn
I heard they were no longer available. Is that true?
poke.gif dead horse.gif
CrashDown
I understand they are not available through said manufacturer, but is ayone else producing them?

dry.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 13 2012, 02:51 PM) *

I understand they are not available through said manufacturer, but is ayone else producing them?

dry.gif

Matchbox
MartyYeoman
lol-2.gif
CrashDown
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2012, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 13 2012, 02:51 PM) *

dry.gif

Matchbox

Son-of-a-bitch!! *runs out the door to toys-r-us*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.