Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with starting/starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tedman5
I experienced a problem with starting the motor that I am baffled about. When releasing the key from START to ON the engine continues to turn over. Fortunately my friend was there to disconnect the battery quickly.

A little background on this...that day I upgraded my fuse panel to the LED fuse panel and had a small meltdown related to the backstrap of the fuse panel grounding out on the small isolator power junction (all red wires screwed on isolator) mounted to the side panel just left of the fuse panel. After repairing that and relocating the isolator by just removing, taping it up and stuffing it, I remounted the fuse panel and had power to everything properly. But when I went to start it (didn't start first try due to cold start) it kept cranking when the key was released from START to ON.

Now I suspect that a relay or solenoid has possibly taken a hit with the above mentioned event.

Questions...

1- If the starter solenoid is fried it wouldn't start right? It does start.

2-Is it possible that the drive pinion, mesh and starter ring are sticking? But wouldn't that grind after running? There is no grinding.

3-Is it possible its in the igntion switch?

Thanks for any help or experiences on this topic.
pcar916
QUOTE(Tedman5 @ Apr 9 2012, 11:36 AM) *

Questions...

1- If the starter solenoid is fried it wouldn't start right? It does start.

2-Is it possible that the drive pinion, mesh and starter ring are sticking? But wouldn't that grind after running? There is no grinding.

3-Is it possible its in the igntion switch?

Thanks for any help or experiences on this topic.

1. Correct, the solenoid works.
2. There would only be grinding if the starter tried to re-engage after the engine was running.
3. Yes, it's possible. but it's just as likely it's a shorted wiring problem. To that issue though...

Question. Is there a starter relay in the circuit?

There isn't one in a stock ignition circuit so, if there is now, go directly to that relay and that's likely the culprit. If it's ok then start looking for shorted wiring. If that's ok then I'd suspect the ignition switch next.

Good luck!
TheCabinetmaker
With car in nuetral, turn the key to on (not start) and jump the solenoid to turn the starter and let go. If it stops spinning its not the starter, which I'm betting it isn't. My guess is you fried the electrical portion on the ignition switch.
Tedman5
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 9 2012, 09:09 AM) *

With car in nuetral, turn the key to on (not start) and jump the solenoid to turn the starter and let go. If it stops spinning its not the starter, which I'm betting it isn't. My guess is you fried the electrical portion on the ignition switch.

If your guess is correct, (which makes complete sense to me) is that a repairable job or new igntion switch?
Mikey914
New switch. They are "cheap" (about $20). DO check to see if it looks like the switch has melted. It could be just a symptom of a short if it's melted. If it looks like it's just falling apart you can replace the switch.

Unfortunately it will require some dissemblance of the column.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.