Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. - Drunk Drivers....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
I hate to post sad news, but this one I can't get out of my head.

Pacific is a very small town, so when something bad happens it's usually to someone you know.

A good friend of ours daughter (18), her boyfriend (19), and his roomate (20) were killed by a drunk driver that crossed the center line of a two-lane hwy just outside of town last night. My son and daughter are absolutely devastated, they've been friends with all three since they were in kindergarten.

Drinking and Driving.......just don't do it PLEASE!

The car in the pic was a Volvo...hard to tell.
Alison Baker
Kevin, I am very sorry to hear about you tragic news ; However I work in the local County Jail and it is amazing the number of people who come through our cell doors with drunk driving and previous DUI's....Today we had a dude with 1 PTA ( Promise To Appear ) with a alcohol lever of 2.8 ( yes I said 2.8 ) , he quoted to his bail bond ( even though he didnt get a bond for amount ) he feels safe drving whilst he has had a drink .....
Did the person who had the accident and killed your kids friend previously have a DUI ?
Carl
Such a shameful, preventable loss. Please convey to your kids that there are a lot of people who share their feelings in this senseless event.

Carl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Special_K @ Oct 2 2004, 06:22 PM)
The car in the pic was a Volvo...hard to tell.

ohmy.gif
rick 918-S
That's just not right! sad.gif
charlesmac
Same thing happened to a friend/former student of mine thursday afternoon around 1 o'clock. don't know if the idiot was passing on a double yellow line going up a hill or was just in the wrong lane. of course he's still alive. What does it take for some people to wake up? funeral is tomorrow, prayers for the Wade family are much appreciated. sorry to hear about your terrible news, Kevin.

charles
Trekkor
News like this always makes me sad.
Why do people live and act so selfishly? No regard for others or the cosequences of there actions.

It seems like the drunks usually survive the wreck, too.

I hope you can be there for your family and friends when they need you. Express your feelings and be a good listener. I'm sorry that death has touched you.

Trekkor
SpecialK
QUOTE(Alison Baker @ Oct 2 2004, 07:24 PM)
Did the person who had the accident and killed your kids friend previously have a DUI ?

The driver of the other vehicle (Dakota) is in critical condition, not sure of anything other than that. Two local news stations had conflicting reports on which vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic....either way it can't be undone.

I'm no Saint, and have been too drunk to drive on more than one occassion, but did anyway and was VERY lucky not to have killed myself, or someone else....never again, it's just not worth risking peoples lives.

I thought about not posting this thread at all, hated to post something that would undoubtedly bring everyone down. I decided to only because if it made one person on the forum think twice about driving when they'd had too many, then it was the right thing to do.
lagunero
QUOTE(Special_K @ Oct 2 2004, 10:24 PM)

I'm no Saint, and have been too drunk to drive on more than one occassion, but did anyway and was VERY lucky not to have killed myself, or someone else....never again, it's just not worth risking peoples lives.

I thought about not posting this thread at all, hated to post something that would undoubtedly bring everyone down. I decided to only because if it made one person on the forum think twice about driving when they'd had too many, then it was the right thing to do.

It is a good thing that you posted this tragedy. Those of us who read this will reflect on this all too common behavior, if only for a moment. Every time one "last" drink is refused because this was read, it will be one more time that we remember those who were taken from us so suddenly.

If the "drunk driver" survives, it will be only to live a life of remorse and guilt in the hell that is prison. He too will lose his children and they will grow without a Daddy or Mommy.

I'm not a Saint either but I'm trying......
flatout
Sorry to here this , we didn't hear are see any news this weekend, hope all is well with you guys. If you need time away with the family the leafs are beautiful down here now. Shelby
seanery
Kevin,
this is horrible news. I'm so sorry to hear about this.
My thoughts are with your kids...I hope they make it through this ok.
Neal
I am so sorry for this loss, this shit really bothers me, and DUI is preventable but unfortunately when the brain is affected by alcohol all bets are off. What seems so preventable seems doable for the drunk. It's the same for some forms of mental illness the brain is just not firing correctly and the person is not aware of the seriousness of the problem. I am not comparing DUI to mental illness just that the brain is the component that is in common. Drunks have the option of not drinking and driving but some people just don't get it. I have experienced someone with mental illness and they were just not aware of how they were being affected by the chemical imbalance in their brain.
It might be time for mandatory breath ignition testing, I know that is intrusive but it sure would make allot of people walk home from the bars.
SpecialK
It was determined that the "shitbag" driving the Dakota in the one that crossed the center line causing the wreck, if nothing else the parents of the driver (Josh) will know that he wasn't responsible...if that's any comfort. Apparently he's [shitbag] got several DUI's under his belt, and when they found beer cans at the scene, the Pacific Police assumed that they came from the kids vehicle, which unfortunately is more often than not a correct assumption around here.

To make it worse, the mother of the girl (Chelsey) who died in the wreck, lost her Husband (actually, recent "Ex") in an alcohol related drowning accident (more like a "Redneck's" last words "Hey! watch 'is", not funny, but appropriate if you knew the guy) at Lake of the Ozarks not two months ago.

Here's my problem. I know both of the parents of the girl real well, but don't think I can mentally handle going to the viewing/funeral (she's was right inbetween my daughter and sons age). Funerals are tough enough, most of the ones I've attended involve people that lived a full life, but at her young age it makes it even more terrible. I seriously don't think I can look them in the face without balling.
Do you think that a handwritten sympathy card to each would be respectful enough?
Toast
Yes, a card would be fine.
Most people know that people have different views about attending funerals and would understand. Some dont understand why someone would not attend a funeral. As long as you send your sympathies (anyway you can), they will be accepted and appriciated.

I attended four funerals of friends of mine that were killed by drunk driving before I even graduated high school. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.