Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How low can you go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
I am about to swap out my front control arms and I want to lower the front end some when I reassemble. I have a new bump steer kit to install. So I guess my question is; will the bump steer kit have any negative effect on the steering if I choose not to go too low?
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Apr 9 2012, 08:42 PM) *

I am about to swap out my front control arms and I want to lower the front end some when I reassemble. I have a new bump steer kit to install. So I guess my question is; will the bump steer kit have any negative effect on the steering if I choose not to go too low?

Lennie,
Yes it will have the same effect as if you lowered the car without the bump steer kit...

Thomas
ConeDodger
Lennie,
You can lower it so the control arms are parallel with the pavement. I don't really notice bump steer and I didn't use my bump steer kit either.

DanT lowers his cars so they are low like a snake. Maybe he will chime in if he wanders out of the Paddock... smile.gif
Lennies914
Thanks Guys,

Just to be clear, if I install the kit and don't lower it enough not good. If I don't lower it beyond the control arms being parallel to the ground I'm good without it.
r_towle
If you use the bump steer kit it raises the steering rack to change the geometry.
If you lower the a-arms beyond parallel with the ground, they will hit the lowest welded flange on the body when you compress the suspension...so there really is a physical limit.

the bump steer kit is ok, but if you are running sticky rubber...it wont make a difference...your gonna get bump steer.

rich
jmill
What you really need is a bumpsteer gauge. Ideally you want 0 bump but it'll never happen unless you redesign the geometry. Who knows where your at until you measure it? I'm not a fan of rack spacers. You would need to get a bunch of different sizes to get it right. You'll find playing with rack spacers is a PITA to get it just right. I like the spacers on the outer tie rod end. They are very easy to adjust. You can also move them around and measure bump without crawling under the car.

underthetire
You see how low my car was. I run a bump steer kit and it did help. Think rule of thumb, if your lowering your car to where the tie rod ends move up the same distance (thickness) of the spacer, run them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.