Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slight Miss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
struckn
This weekend my '74 1.8, single two barrel webber with pertonics, had what I think was an infrequent miss. Heard a couple little pops, not shore if it came from carb or exhaust, and not very loud, but the engine did stumble and then cleared and ran normal, It starts and seems to idel OK, runs great and no loss of power that I can tell.

I started pulling plug wires off, while idelling, RPM drops when #1, 2 or 3 are pulled but no change in RPM when I pulled the wire off #4? I changed the #4 plug, which looked clean and same as the other plugs as far as color, and restarted the engine. Runs the same and when I pulled the wire off no drop in RPM. Wire will spark when held near the tin so I 'm sure I'm getting spark.

So, is this normal for #4, or is it a fuel sending problem or something else? I bought the car in September and I'm thinking could it be possible I've been running on three cyclinders? Doubt that but who knows.
confused24.gif
Valy
Check valves.
mrbubblehead
i had a similar problem in a bus. i didnt figure it out until i was watching the engine running in the dark. one of the spark plug wires had a pin hole in it and was arcing on the engine tin. it wasnt predictible because the spark plug wire moved a bit at different rpm. after i wrapped the wire in black tape the problem was gone. that was the last time i used stock plug wires BTW.
struckn
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Apr 9 2012, 07:59 PM) *

i had a similar problem in a bus. i didnt figure it out until i was watching the engine running in the dark. one of the spark plug wires had a pin hole in it and was arcing on the engine tin. it wasnt predictible because the spark plug wire moved a bit at different rpm. after i wrapped the wire in black tape the problem was gone. that was the last time i used stock plug wires BTW.

I'll check that out tonight, hope that's all it is.
idea.gif

I'm taking it up to Transloggt in York tomorrow and asked Tony check and set the valves plus do an over all inspection of the car that I talked to him about a few weeks ago. He calls it a Post Sales Inspection, to get an over all idea of any and all needs. I bought the car last Sept and wanted to do this inspection for some time, but I was having too much fun with when the weather got nice.
driving.gif

It has some hopefully other minor issues. Small oil leak around the Oil Filter/Cooler area, Tach works but kills the engine if attached to the negative coil pole so I leave it disconnected, left rear sits about an inch is lower then the right.
Everything else seems great, but never having owned one before I'm no expert.
confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.