Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CrashDown
After 7 months of being in the garage rebuilding the front half of the wiring harness for the car, I finally get her on the road for her first drive and this happens....

F**K MY LIFE....

IPB Image

Hopefully new glass will be in by friday.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 9 2012, 09:39 PM) *

Same thing happened to me. The car was down for several months while i was swapping in the 3.6L motor.

Got a new windshield "while i was in there". Lasted 3 days ...
headbang.gif
LotusJoe
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 9 2012, 09:39 PM) *

After 7 months of being in the garage rebuilding the front half of the wiring harness for the car, I finally get her on the road for her first drive and this happens....

F**K MY LIFE....

What caused the glass to crack? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 9 2012, 11:03 PM) *

What caused the glass to crack? confused24.gif

Looks like a rock ... dry.gif
Phoenix-MN
I feel you pain..... hissyfit.gif I put a brand new SIGLA windshield in and a week later it cracked. I can live with mine for a while but your's is bit more and right in your view. Will insurance cover it?
MDG
Now that sucks!

About 10 years ago I was at the dealership picking up my brand new daily driver. Signed everything, took off . . . got about 100 yards down the road and BANG! a rock flew off the back of a truck.

My windshield looked like yours. dry.gif
carr914
I will say this for Florida - Insurance covers windshields with No Deductable & No Claim history to raise your rates. The State doesn't want people driving into the Sun with extra glare & distortion
Jake Raby
Could be worse..
OU8AVW
What Jake said....

Click to view attachment
wingnut86
...well that's a horse of a different color biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2012, 09:19 AM) *

Could be worse..

agree.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 10 2012, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 10 2012, 09:19 AM) *

Could be worse..

agree.gif

Sucks man but...agree.gif
SUNAB914
I put my windshield trim on once and broke mine after a restoration.
7TPorsh
There was someone on here that leaned on the top corner while getting in the car and it cracked.

I heard somewhere that waxing the glass can help ...but a rock is a rock.

Sux
Aaron Cox
Look at the bright side, it'll give you time to redo the dash top vinyl while the windshield is out... poke.gif
JRust
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 10 2012, 09:08 AM) *

There was someone on here that leaned on the top corner while getting in the car and it cracked.

Sux

I believe that was Rich with his Creamsicle resto in the Seattle area.

I feel your pain as I had my new Signa Windshield cracked on my way to Route 66. I haven't yelled & cussed like that in a long time headbang.gif
rjames
I thought you were going to say the car got wrecked. Bummer, but as others have said it could have been much worse.

On the positive side, your seats look great! I would love to see more shots of the interior if it deviates elsewhere from the norm.
euro911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 10 2012, 04:41 AM) *
I will say this for Florida - Insurance covers windshields with No Deductable & No Claim history to raise your rates. The State doesn't want people driving into the Sun with extra glare & distortion
I think that type of coverage applies in CA as well. I have a friend who's had 2 windshields replaced at no cost. His weren't cracked, but badly pitted from sand storms.

I need to have one replaced in one of my trucks (also sand pitting). I'll try to remember to post my findings.
CrashDown
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 10 2012, 10:05 PM) *

I thought you were going to say the car got wrecked. Bummer, but as others have said it could have been much worse.

On the positive side, your seats look great! I would love to see more shots of the interior if it deviates elsewhere from the norm.

Hey guys. First off, It was my fault. No, a rock didn't hit the glass. So the car may have been parked in the garage, and maybe someone had the steeringwheel off and was trying to fix the turn indicator light with a pair of channel-locks. And maybe the pliers slipped and smacked against the glass. Needless to say insurance wouldnt cover it because it was the fault of the moron hitting said glass with a pair of pliers, not God throwing a rock at my face and hitting glass instead.

But the new glass is in. I'll post pics tomorrow sometime, and pics of the rest of the interior. I'll give ya a preview of what it looks like though. All but one of the original switches are gone, all the gauges were stripped down and cleaned, and 3m Vinyl like my hood may have made it onto the dash face.

Pics tomorrow.
CrashDown
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 10 2012, 09:08 AM) *

Sux

Yea, but in some states it's illegal to wax your windshield, and headlamps. Don't ask me why.

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 10 2012, 11:13 AM) *

Look at the bright side, it'll give you time to redo the dash top vinyl while the windshield is out... poke.gif

Already did it, a loooooong time ago. It;s just really dirty after sitting for 7 months.
Valy
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 12 2012, 01:51 AM) *

Hey guys. First off, It was my fault. No, a rock didn't hit the glass. So the car may have been parked in the garage, and maybe someone had the steeringwheel off and was trying to fix the turn indicator light with a pair of channel-locks. And maybe the pliers slipped and smacked against the glass. Needless to say insurance wouldnt cover it because it was the fault of the moron hitting said glass with a pair of pliers, not God throwing a rock at my face and hitting glass instead.

But the new glass is in. I'll post pics tomorrow sometime, and pics of the rest of the interior. I'll give ya a preview of what it looks like though. All but one of the original switches are gone, all the gauges were stripped down and cleaned, and 3m Vinyl like my hood may have made it onto the dash face.

Pics tomorrow.

Insurance should cover it unless it was intentionally done.
It's the same as you driving the car into a tree in the driveway.
CrashDown
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 12 2012, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 12 2012, 01:51 AM) *

Pics tomorrow.

Insurance should cover it unless it was intentionally done.
It's the same as you driving the car into a tree in the driveway.

You're right, I called AAA today and asked. BUT the glass deductable is $500 and the glass only cost me $140.
Valy
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Apr 12 2012, 10:43 AM) *

BUT the glass deductable is $500 and the glass only cost me $140.

Hugh !?! $500 deductible for glass? Are you sure? They usually have different deductibles for glass.
I replaced the windshield on my Camry 2 months ago and the deductible was $50 and the glass guy waved it for me so it was totaly free.
I have Allstate insurance.
Valy
BTW, I see you're from the Bay area.
There is a 914 in South SJ Pick'n Pull. It has a good windshield on it.
Take a guitar string to cut the sealer/glue and you'll have a new windshield for $40 smile.gif
If you brake it trying to take it out, there's no charge wink.gif
CrashDown
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 12 2012, 10:54 AM) *

BTW, I see you're from the Bay area.
There is a 914 in South SJ Pick'n Pull. It has a good windshield on it.
Take a guitar string to cut the sealer/glue and you'll have a new windshield for $40 smile.gif
If you brake it trying to take it out, there's no charge wink.gif

Yea I heard about the teener from co-worker. Might drive down there on saturday in mine weather permitting.

But yea, according to AAA glass deductable is 500 on my policy. Same goes for my Subaru.
Scott S
My 2008 is on it's third windshield. Unfortunately In Colorado, windshields are like kleenex - especially if you either ski or commute.

I do both. headbang.gif

I grew up in Orange, CA - I cant remember ever replaceing glass in cars.....
JamesM
QUOTE(Scott S @ Apr 12 2012, 03:23 PM) *

My 2008 is on it's third windshield. Unfortunately In Colorado, windshields are like kleenex - especially if you either ski or commute.

I do both. headbang.gif

I grew up in Orange, CA - I cant remember ever replaceing glass in cars.....

agree.gif
Utah is the same way. 22 years growing up in Huntington Beach, never saw a rock chip. Move here for less then a month and I get 2 in my 951. I don't use my Porsches as commuters anymore because of all the damage to the paint and windshield. Seems like you can't go more then a mile without seeing a windshield shop. Sometimes I think they are peppering the roads to keep these places in business.

euro911
Down here they don't fix the pot holes in the roads, so it keeps the tire retailers and alignment shops in business dry.gif
CrashDown
As Promised...

How the interior looked before the electrical fire... (this is the only pic i have of the dash)
IPB Image

And how the dash looks now
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
You may notice the switches are missing. They went up when the harness melted.

So i decided to cut out the OEM stuff and install a switch panel
IPB Image
IPB Image

From left to right the switches are Left and right turn signals on a 3-way switch, lowbeams, high beams, headlamps up/down on a 3-way switch, starter button (not in use yet), and running lights/foglights/dash lights

The panel worked out really well, and dont think im gonna have any issues anymore. Made a whole new harness from the dash to the front of the car.

And these are just some other pics i took, h4 headlamp conversion, and the hood/dash face are all wrapped in the Di-Noc Carbon Vinyl.

IPB Image
IPB Image
NEW WINDSHIELD INSTALLED
IPB ImageHood all finished
IPB ImageH4 conversion
IPB Image
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.