Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 gear ratios for a 3.6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I would like opinions on the gear ratios I am thinking about putting in my race car.

Quick recap:

914-6
Full track only not for street
Sheridan Narrow Body
Hoosier/Goodyear 23.5x11.5x16's on 10x16 rims all around
3.6 liter 993 motor
Wevo conversion kit
Wevo gate kit
Wevo shifter
roller bearings
3 way adj shocks
raised pick up points
more stuff....

Anyway, I'm looking at regearing the box as I have to order my LSD from
Paul Guard this week. I would like to have the box good for autox in 1st and
2nd and use 2nd through 5th on the track.

I've spoken with several people and have come up with the following gear selections:

1st = 11/35 (stock)
2nd = 19/32 (new gearing)
3rd = 23/28 (new gearing)
4th = 25/25 (stock)
5th = 28/24 (new gearing)

This gives a box where you can run auto-x's in 1st and 2nd and tracks in 2nd through 5th. Anyone running similar gearing? (Especially with a 3.6)

The motor is stock except for headers. Redline will be 6500 RPM.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that changing 2nd through 5th is expensive, but changing 1st (mainshaft) is ~$1400 by itself... barf.gif ...hence why I am proposing not changing it. Or should I since "I'm in there".... ohmy.gif

Thanks for the help.

Bill P.
Jeroen
Bill,

I think it would be best to talk to Hayden or Paul (or both) and tell them which tracks you want to run
KenH
Bill,

Have you considered using a 930 4 Speed box?? It is way stronger than the 915 and a lot easier to change its gears.

If you do business with SmartRacing or Jerry Woods - ask Jerry how to setup the gear box. He understands the motor/gear/local track relationship much better than most.

Ken
retrotech
Bill,

Can you tell me what size rims & tires you are running on a narrow body 3.6? What spacer, any other modifications?

Thanks,

Retro
KenH
Or - have Jerry dyno the motor and then match the HP/Torque curves, gears(915 or 930) and track.

All it takes is $$$

Ken
nine14cats
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

Jeroen,

The gear selection I got with spreadsheet was from Hayden and Paul. I also have one with a taller 1st gear....I'd like to see if anyone is running something similar.

Ken,

I already have a 915 and a 930 box. I'v saving my 930 for a 914 V8 project later in life. The 915 will be used on this car. You're right about money. I've talked to Rich at JWE and the dyno pull would be $1K and he does recommend the regearing.

Retrotech,

I am running 10x16 rims all around with 23.5x 10.5 x 16 Slicks from Goodyear or Hoosier. I can also run Hoosier 22 x 10x 16's if I want to change the gear ratios for auto-x. I am currently running 28mm spacers up front and rear on the narrow body car. But it also has to do with the backspacing of your rims. I'll take a look at the rims and report back.

Thanks all,

Bill P.
J P Stein
I don't think I have a clue idea.gif .....yup, I'm sure of it.
HTH biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.