Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 2.4 911e into 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martin_UK914
Morning!

So have a 1972 2.4 911E einsprizung motor going into a 1970 914-4 2.0L which had fully functioning injection.

All oil tank pipe etc sorted thanks to advice given on here... now just to connect electrics...

Anyone got any diagrams / advice / existing threads....

cheers.

Martin
martin_UK914
oh... and its a euro engine, so I don't think it has all the speed switch stuff etc...
ClayPerrine
You are going to have to make an adapter wiring harness to work with the MFI on the engine. I can help with a wiring diagram for the adapter.

Do you have all the factory electrical bits such as the CD box?

J P Stein
I did a 2.4L conversion in my pre-Internet days.....1998 IIRC.
2 Haynes manuals one with a 74 914 wiring diagram & one with a 72 911 wiring diagram.......it took a week or 2 to figure it out making lots of squiggles on each.
I'm no electrical whiz but it worked as I squiggled it up....amazed me. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
You'll need to have the RPM transducer, and the fuel filter console too. You'll have to wire a momentary contact switch for the cold start enrichment, and make sure you keep a fire extinguisher in the car too
GeorgeRud
auto Atlanta has a nice booklet with electrical connections at the relay board.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 10 2012, 07:22 PM) *

auto Atlanta has a nice booklet with electrical connections at the relay board.

Do you have a link? I couldn't find it on their website.
IronHillRestorations
The AA book doesn't cover MFI. You'll also need a hot air source for the thermostat on the injection pump. Someone makes a manual conversion that replaces the thermostat, but I've never got one of those and I'm not sure who sells it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 12 2012, 08:13 AM) *

The AA book doesn't cover MFI. You'll also need a hot air source for the thermostat on the injection pump. Someone makes a manual conversion that replaces the thermostat, but I've never got one of those and I'm not sure who sells it.

agree.gif

And the only way you can use MFI with a 914 is if you either find a set of the 916 heat exchangers (when the 916 project was cancelled, they sold them as 914-6 spares) or use the manual lever sold by Henry Schmidt at Supertech performance.

Series9
MFI isn't electrically complicated. Sit down with diagrams from both cars and you'll be able to sort it out.
IronHillRestorations
If you've got 914-6 heat exchangers, you can weld a tube and run a hose to the thermostat on the injection pump. You HAVE to get hot air to the t-stat or the pump will never work right. I've never seen the Supertech set up, but it sounds like a good idea for a car without heaters.
shuie
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 13 2012, 06:58 PM) *

If you've got 914-6 heat exchangers, you can weld a tube and run a hose to the thermostat on the injection pump. You HAVE to get hot air to the t-stat or the pump will never work right. I've never seen the Supertech set up, but it sounds like a good idea for a car without heaters.

There is also a relay for the cold start injection contraption in the 911 engine relay panel. I promise you the car will not start easily if the cold start injection is missing or disabled. I removed this panel from my '72 911 when I did my 3.2 swap, but if I were ever to put a 2.4 MFI motor into a car I would definitely want to keep it. You are going to need the external voltage regulator, 3 pin CD box, and all of the little MFI bits either accounted for and in good working order, or properly substituted for with things like the Supertech kit. Adjusting the MFI in a 914 is really going to be tough, too, which is probably why the factory used carbs on the -6. Here's the 2.4 MFI 911 relay panel for reference.

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(shuie @ Apr 13 2012, 10:44 PM) *

Adjusting the MFI in a 914 is really going to be tough, too, which is probably why the factory used carbs on the -6.

Acutally, from experience, it is much easier. You can get to the pump, and you don't have to go through the fan. Just a short, small flathead screwdriver.

And the factory used carbs on the -6 because it was cheaper and they didn't want the 914 out performing their flagship 911.

IronHillRestorations
In the "FWIW Department" some of the 916's had MFI
jm993rs
I will some have the same questions for the conversion of my 914 !!!

Finally I buy too one 911 E '73 engine !!!!! stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif

And I think Sr. ClayPerrine is the leader on these issues pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Now I work on the body of rhe car and soon I working with the engine !!!!!

And because I think the best example in the forums are the pics and

jm993rs
the pics of my 914 6 gt clone !!! driving.gif
brp986s
shocked[1].gif pray.gif That car is going to be too fast for that tiny island.
jm993rs
beerchug.gif yes ||| the island is very little but have a lot of mountains roads near to my house !!!! and one race track !!!!
jm993rs
Our for make the conversion need your viewpoint, pics, ideas .................

Please drunk.gif beerchug.gif
jm993rs
Please anybody can give your view point and instructoons because the body work on my car is near of the finish and I need start the work of the mount conversion to a engine 2.4 E on my 914 !!!!

Thank you guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.