Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's going on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
Finally got my car started. But it breaks up and sputters hard at 4500 rpm and hesitates badly on accelleration. Is there any test I can do to isolate the problem. So I can fix what's wrong. It is still a blast to drive with the problem. driving.gif
Bleyseng
Check the timing..
Change the fuel filter
Is it running rich?
adjust the valves..
New points,cap,plug wires

Ton of stuff to look at..

Geoff
SLITS
FI or Carbs?

Points or electronic?

Age of engine?

Need some info to guess.
Teknon
1970 1.7 d-jetronic with electronic distributor
nebreitling
i suspect ignition before FI in cases where you have a specific "hole" in acceleration.
airsix
Adjust the point dwell and then set the timing. Lightly lube the leading edge of the phenolic (sp?) cam follower (on the points). Can't promise this is the problem, but symptoms sound right for points that are barely opening.

-Ben M.
SLITS
Since you have electronic ignition, the dwell angle is not a factor unless the module is breaking down.

1. Age of spark plugs wires - if they are old they can cross fire with each other and/or to ground.
2. Check for high tension tracking inside the cap (black tracks running down the side or between poles.
3. I assume you do not have a rev limiting rotor - if you do, change it.
4. Spark plugs - new or ?. What type.
5. Bad tracks in Throttle Position Sensor
6. Dirty or defective trigger points.
7. Mal adjusted valves or weak valve springs.

Just a few guesses...................
Tab914
I agree with Slits. Had the same problem and it was due to bad tracks in the throttle switch. Just check everything else to make sure the rest is set where it should be.
Teknon
Thanks fellow 914ers. I will start my trek to the electical system. Thanks for the heads up. Joe agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.