Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-brake Light / Followup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Thank's for the earlier tip; the swithch had to be replaced. However, I still have a problem.
The e-brake light comes on with a buzzer sound and not blinking, just a steady light.
The emergency flasher light only comes on and flashes when the ebrake is on. Otherwise, with ebrake off, the eflasher does not work.

Here is what I did; replaced the flittle black flasher relay; replaced the ebrake switch. I see the back of the ebrake bulb has two grounds, I suspect one is for the ebrake and the other for the eflasher. I'm wondering if one of those wires got routed to the wrong place when the car was disassembled for restoration.

Can you tell me where the two ground wires should end up' or am I on the wrong track. I looked at the Haynes wire diagram, couldn't understand it, so I'm checking again with those with experience.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
SirAndy
doesn't the second wire go to the Brake MC ???

idea.gif Andy
jim_hoyland
Where should each brrown wire go ?
SpecialK
I'm pretty sure that all of the "solid" brown wires are grounds.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Special_K @ Oct 3 2004, 10:24 PM)

yes, but he still needs to know where they go ...

wink.gif because there is usually a switch at the other end of one of those brown wires, like the handbrake lever switch or the brake MC switch ...

smile.gif Andy
SpecialK
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2004, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE(Special_K @ Oct 3 2004, 10:24 PM)

yes, but he still needs to know where they go ...

wink.gif because there is usually a switch at the other end of one of those brown wires, like the handbrake lever switch or the brake MC switch ...

smile.gif Andy

Oh....right. rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
ok, looking at the haynes wiring diagram, one goes to the "Hand brake contact" (34), the other goes to "Brake Warning Switch" (32) ....

i "assume" 32 is the warning switch on the master cylinder ....
wink.gif Andy
jim_hoyland
The ebrake light comes on steady with the brake on, I also can hear the buzzer and the green turn signal light comes on.
When I pull the e-flasher out, with e-brake on, the light flashes--PRESTO !If I release the e-brake with e-flasher on, the flash goes out--WOOOOO!

I believe the light is supposed to flash if either the e-brake or e-flash is on; I seem to have a weird relationship that leads me to believe a wire was incorrectly installed.

Seen this before ? It's driving me nuts !
2-OH!
I have a 75 2.0 and the old flasher relay caused the E brake light to flash, no buzzer...But the old relay finally laid down and died so I had to replace...

The new one causes a solid red dash light and turn signal light as long as the Ebrake handle is up...when the handle is relaesed all goes out and the turn signals and flasher work perfectly...

So, it's just a situation of getting used to the buzzing instead of the silent flashing...I would prefer the flashing but ...

2-OH!
jim_hoyland
I think I need more info on the destination of the wire...
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 4 2004, 11:19 AM)
I think I need more info on the destination of the wire...

from the gauge into the wire harness past your relay board through the front firewall past your tank down trough the floor pan onto the switch of the brake MC ...

detailed enough?
wink.gif Andy

PS: actually, now that i think of it, it does *flash* if the MC looses pressure, so, it must be hooked into the flasher relay somehow.

PPS: oh, and the 2 wires should not be solid brown, they should be brown with a white stripe.
jim_hoyland
I know one goes to MC;its the other one. I'm going to look tonight ( again ) and trace it. I'll update tomorrow.

Thanks for info
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.