Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check your arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm sure this has been coverd before, but if not I thought it needed to be. Since I have been doing more and more 914's, I am realizing just how common this crack in the A arm is. Clean yours and check them. I'd say at least half of the front ends I have stripped have had at least one, sometimes both arms split in this same spot. Prior to cleaning, these cracks are unoticable. blink.gif
Elliot Cannon
How do you fix that? Welding? Can it be fixed or does it need to be replaced?
zymurgist
I was going to ask the same question...
scotty b
I just run a thin cutoff wheel down the center of the crack to open it u a bit, and get it good and clean inside then weld it back up. I also weld the inside and leave a little extra meat there when I grind it down
mepstein
Was that my car?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 10 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Was that my car?

No, those are A-arms. They go ON the car. The car is much bigger rolleyes.gif

No bye1.gif
Elliot Cannon
Great!! biggrin.gif Now I gotta go check mine. welder.gif
Ian Stott
Thanks for this, I will check mine when I have it on the hoist weekend.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 10 2012, 02:04 PM) *
Check your arms

And while we're on the subject, i've also seen quite a few of them where the round cutout area itself is bend.

You can easily check if you look straight down on the hole with the arm upside down as in the first pic.

The hole needs to be centered. If it's not centered on the arm, the arm is junk.
shades.gif
carr914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 10 2012, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 10 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Was that my car?

No, those are A-arms. They go ON the car. The car is much bigger rolleyes.gif

No bye1.gif

av-943.gif
wingnut86
Guys,

3 dark ales later, probably not a good time to ask, but...

What crack? Can you provide a nice little red arrow on the image or zoom it and place a "look here stupid" note?

Thx,

Dave
Rand
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Apr 10 2012, 04:58 PM) *

Guys,

3 dark ales later, probably not a good time to ask, but...

What crack? Can you provide a nice little red arrow on the image or zoom it and place a "look here stupid" note?

Thx,

Dave

I need some of that dark ale.

Elliot Cannon
Would it be worth it to re-enforce it somehow as a preventive kinda thing? Even if it's not cracked?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Would it be worth it to re-enforce it somehow

IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 10 2012, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Would it be worth it to re-enforce it somehow

IPB Image

Sorry. I meant re-enforcerer it. laugh.gif
wingnut86
...Crack kills...
scotty b
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2012, 04:09 PM) *

Would it be worth it to re-enforce it somehow as a preventive kinda thing? Even if it's not cracked?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to wrap a skinny strap of 14-16 gauge around that bend and weld it in confused24.gif
r_towle
Just flew in from Denver....boy are my arms tired...
carr914
As Whitney would say "Crack is Whack"
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 10 2012, 06:33 PM) *

Just flew in from Denver....boy are my arms tired...

Best way to fix that crack is to stop drill a hole completely through the section just slightly ahead of where the cracks stops. The diameter should be at least 1 .5 to 2x the metal thickness.

Bevel the crack slightly to form a groove centerline of the crack at least 1x the metal thickness down to at least 85% of the metal thickness in depth.

Begin welding the hole up first as a rosette...then finish the weld moving up towards the ball joint or edge of the part. If you weld the other way you'll just induce more stress into the part.

Bad part design when it was formed with the hard tool in the corner...however I'm sure them German Engineers never figured the part would be cycled for 40 years.

Now my arms and head are tired. My two cents.
02loftsmoor
Thank you for the Tip flag.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 10 2012, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 10 2012, 02:04 PM) *
Check your arms

And while we're on the subject, i've also seen quite a few of them where the round cutout area itself is bend.

You can easily check if you look straight down on the hole with the arm upside down as in the first pic.

The hole needs to be centered. If it's not centered on the arm, the arm is junk.
shades.gif

Like this 911 arm on left. I suspect it happens from smacking a curb hard......
Click to view attachment
euro911
Planning on rebuilding the front suspension on the 'BB' soon ... we'll be blasting and painting (or powder-coating) the arms while they're off.
I'll be sure to check for cracks, repair and beef-up as needed.

Thanks for the heads up, Scotty thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.