Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driveline Slop?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
I have a '75 1.8 and lately it has felt like there is more slop in the driveline than there used to be. If I let off the gas in 1st or 2nd I can feel the whole car sort of lunge/jerk, same thing happens if I get on the gas. It gets much less noticeable in higher gears. Is this a common issue? What should I check first?

My first suspicion was failing cv joints. I reached under the car earlier and tried rocking the passenger side axle back and forth, but I didn't feel any play.

Andrew
euro911
I'd check your engine and transaxle mounts first.

Check your trailing arm bushings too.
andrewvolsen
Mark, are there any tricks to checking those parts or is it just a basic inspection? Try rocking the parts with a pry bar and check mounts/bushings for play?

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 10 2012, 10:42 PM) *
I'd check your engine and transaxle mounts first.

agree.gif

Sounds like either the motor mounts or tranny mounts ...
idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I chased a similar thunk on a car for a few weeks. Turned out to be a wheel bearing.
Dave_Darling
Jack up on the bottom of the engine. If the engine lifts up without taking the weight off the wheels, the motor mounts have separated.

In my car, very heavy 1st and some 2nd gear acceleration would produce a repeated thump through the car--"WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP"--and the gear shift lever would move around quite a bit under heavy braking.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
An engine mount will usually transmit movement to the shifter. Use a pry bar between the case and mount bar and try to lift the engine off the bar.
andrewvolsen
Thanks guys. I'll check this stuff out on Friday.

Andrew
McMark
Also could be an oil contaminated clutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.