Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift linkage alignment - late model
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgolia
My restoration is nearing completion. Put the shifter back in, but can not get it to work all gears. Followed the instructions in the Haynes manual to no avail. confused24.gif
JStroud
Dr Evil has instructions for adjusting your shift linkage, I believe he has a link in his signature. His might be easier to understand. Hope this helps.

Jeff
76-914
First, are all of your bushings new and cone screws tight if not new? Is it a side shift?
falconfp2001
It is almost a two man job. Once the linkage is assembled, you need to loosen the front tunnel bar under the access plate on top of the tunnel so the linkage can move freely within it.

Then at the tail of the transmission, shift it into either 2nd or 3rd. Then Place the shifter in either 2nd or 3rd (you have to hold it against the spring plate but not move the spring plate).

While holding it against the spring plate you need to tighten the front tunnel bar through the access plate.

While tightening it is where I think an extra pair of hands can be useful making sure the tail end of the transmission stays in 2nd or third while you move the shifter into the position for 2nd or 3rd as it could miss align.

I've had better luck using 3rd gear rather than second for adjusting.

If you still have problems, you should read the tech article on Pelican for tail shifters. Or upgrade to a side shift which has less pivot points and is easier to adjust. you should also check that your clutch lever is adjusted correctly. if it is not engaging the clutch fully then you could drag the clutch and that creates the same symptoms
Cevan
I've always done mine by myself. I put a big set of Vice-grips on the shiftrod thru the rear access cover in the tunnel inside the car. Then I loosen the bolt at the shifter and adjust away. The Vice-grips keep the shift rod from moving while making adjustments. I usually do this on the road (not while driving). Make an adjustment, drive it, adjust again, drive it. Repeat as necessary. Usually have it dialed in by the 3rd adjustment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.