Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick clip: importance of safety
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
Don't worry, happy ending for this clip.

100304spin.mpg
(1.5Mb)

Corner worker who IMO was way too close to the
track, had an eyeful.

My last run, just going that _little_ bit faster, when
I braked while not going perfectly straight. Came
at him at 50mph, but later when I watched the tape
I was pointed at him but sliding away. Anyway a
bit too close!
J P Stein
Hay, ya got both feet in real quick.....you must have lotso' practice laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Betcha he wet his pants!!!haha way too close to the track and that corner.
Even Monique got a laugh out of that one....
least he didn't run out onto the course like I had one moron do....damn near hit him as that red flag melts into all those orange cones.

Geoff
Lou W
Wow, at least it ended good biggrin.gif
mskala
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 3 2004, 08:59 PM)
Hay, ya got both feet in real quick.....you must have lotso' practice laugh.gif

I get around -- umm, maybe I should rephrase that biggrin.gif
URY914
I was at a autox about 12 years ago and there was a guy taking pictures. His back to the track. Car spins and hits him. He's thrown into the air and lands on the pavement, head splits open. He was dead on impact. I was one of the first ones to him.

NEVER turn you back to the cars!
NEVER sit down!
And stay back from the track.

Paul
sgomes
...and when working a corner, stay to the INSIDE of the corner. Not the outside like the guy in the vid.
smg914
ohmy.gif Dam Paul, where did that happen?
URY914
Steve,

This was in Bainbridge Ga. in 1991 or '92.

It was a SCCA event.

There were two firemen that were entered in the event and they did what they could for the guy. Of course it was out in the middle nowhere and they took him by chopper to the nearest hospital.

He was actually in an area that he had been told to move out of once already. He was an older guy there to watch his son run.

It was a long a quite ride home for my wife and I.

Paul
Dave-O
QUOTE(sgomes @ Oct 4 2004, 08:41 AM)
...and when working a corner, stay to the INSIDE of the corner. Not the outside like the guy in the vid.

I was doing that this weekend. I guess people wanted to skip the 150 degree hairpin, drive off the course in the middle of the offset slalom, and come right at me. At least the had a hundred feet or so to realize i wasn't a cone! Staring between the headlights of a vette isn't fun even if he did slow way down. Of course maybe if my engine would have kept running the whole way around the course i would have been going faster and done it too headbang.gif .

David
tracks914
Great shot. Too bad Andy didn't have a camera last week for us to all watch something similar!!! driving.gif
See seat belt thread.
bondo
Heh, at least he was ready to move. The inside of the corner isn't as safe as I used to think. At the WCC I was working the inside of a corner that was nearly a 180, to the left. I had a few cars drift sideways (oversteer), rotate until they were facing me, then stick to the ground again and come right at me. None of them made it all the way to where I was, but it certainly was a wakeup call.
mskala
Yeah, from what I've seen (admittedly not a wide
variety), you are in at least as much danger on the
inside as on the outside.

If somebody is a little fast and loses it, the oversteer
will only be for a little bit, then after some speed loss
it will bite and start to head to the inside. I generally
don't see anyone going to the outside unless they
are way to fast and just lock up the fronts and plow.
It is a lot more predictable for the spectator/bowling pin.
Brando
when you're going through the sloloms... don't jerk the wheel as so... smooth fluid motion...

okay couldn't resist LOL...

glad to see the cornerworker didnt get hit... how'd you lost it on the last part?
john rogers
Does anybody have the video of the 'vette hitting the guys in lawn chairs that was on TV a couple of years ago?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.