Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tank cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pauldunn
i have a 72 that i am wanting to get running soon. i dont know how long it has been sitting for and along with that, i dont know how long its been sitting without that gas cap. what can i use to clean out the fuel lines?
ww914
Replace them. Check my restoration thread below. Lot's of photos on what I did with the tank and lines.
kmwvmarip
Your link didnt show in your footer/postscript thingy. I am unsure if I was not able to see it or others as well.

Searched for it and is this the one?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=160539

I'll be embarking on doing some fuel line work soon as well.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ Apr 13 2012, 07:54 AM) *

Your link didnt show in your footer/postscript thingy. I am unsure if I was not able to see it or others as well.

Searched for it and is this the one?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=160539

I'll be embarking on doing some fuel line work soon as well.

That is the one in his sig.
ww914
Unless your tank is really rusty, I mean really rusty, forgo the electric stuff. Just go with the Marine Clean and Prep and Ready. It really works good. You have to get it really clean and really dry before pouring in the POR15 solution. Read the directions carefully and do what it says.
ape914
I assume you will drain any remaining stuff out of there? If so just add some gasoline, maybe a couple gallons and ruin that thr the system into a catch tank, then depending on how bad that gas looks, either hazardous waste it, or maybe it is still good enough to run in your gas lawn mower?

If the gas that you ran thru is not too nasty looking then you probably got most of the dirt out, and you can fill and run it as is, but I'd recommend a filter change just to be on the safe side.

you can ignore some light surface rust in the tank, so long as you run a tank or two of gas drier (which will remove any remaining moisture) then keep the tank topped off and once and a while run some gas drier thru it. With the water removed, the rust wont be able to grow anymore.

I do not advocate sealing a tank or do ing extyensive rust removal for light rust. just remove the water and you will be good to go.

old hoses shoudl be replaced as a matyter of safety. really old hoses can leak. old hoses are not compatible with oxygenated fuel, hose clamps should be checked for tightness.

the hard plastic hoses should be fine so long as not physically damaged (crushed, kinked) or exposed to battery acid (the hard plastic nylon tubing is not acid resistant).

Drums66
....Again..Radiator shop(for cleaning tank) biggrin.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.