Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel gauge conversion from oil pressure guage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I don't have a fuel gauge since it was replaced with a combo oil pressure/temp gauge for the 2.7 6 cylinder.

I have heard that an oil pressure gauge can be converted for use as a fuel guage. Geoff told me that there is a thread that describes the conversion. I have tried looking at the classic threads and performing a search, but have had no luck.

Can anybody help me?

Eddie
ChrisReale
I dont want to change the subject, but I have a 930 Tach that has the boost gauge on it. I was going to convert it to 4 cylinder and have the boost gauge turned into a fuel gauge by Palo Alto Speedo, but I have been putting that off....i could be talked into selling it..... biggrin.gif Just an idea...
Dr Evil
If it is the 911 style dual side gauge like the one pictured then you can just unscrew a fuel gauge and put it in the place of the oil press, but it will still say druk on it. Each side just unscrews from the back. The other way to go about it is to get a VDO fuel gauge that reads from 10-180 ohms. they are like $40. Or, if you have the 911 fuel gauge you can put it into a 2 1/16" fitting. I have gauge for the 911 style, and for if you just want to put a stock 914 fuel gauge into your combo gauge.
Dr Evil
Here is the 911 gauge
Dr Evil
Optional VDO #3309556
lapuwali
I think the idea is he wants to keep the combo gauge as is, and add a fuel gauge to the center console, using the 914 oil pressure gauge housing.

The chief problem is finding that particular VDO gauge (the 3309556). None of the usual suspects carries it, and it's the only one that handles the resistance range of the 914 tank sender (which, btw, is exactly the same as the 911 tank sender, and not the same as any VW sender). If anyone knows of a place that stocks that part, I'd like to know about it.

I've seen at least one thread (perhaps it was on the Bird Board) that discussed gutting the oil pressure gauge and fitting the guts of the stock fuel gauge into it, making their own face. Seems fiddly. PA Speedo or North Hollywood Speedo can also do this for you, for something in the $100 range, I believe.

I also have the 911 temp/press combo gauge, but I don't have a center console. My solution at present is to use the trip odo, and I hooked the wiring for the fuel level light switch to the oil pressure light on the combo gauge, so I get at least SOME indication of low fuel.
914forme
Why not run a triple gauge, I made up a bunch a while back, have some fronts and backs, and instructions as well. They are a b**ch to build, but Palo Alto will do one for you also, then you run fuel, oil temp, and pressure all in the one combo guage. I traded a bunch of backs for some screend fronts. They then finished up the fronts and they where sold through the Pelican Parts Site for a while. The entire piece was really high quality, I know all the backs where laser cut, and cadium plated, the fronts where beutifully done as well. Just a PITA to put togther.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images...e_completed.JPG

Heck maybe I should build another set, but they where a pain to build also, But I do have some of the proto pieces for the handy out there. Maybe I should sell these off.
Bleyseng
I did the conversion of a stock oil TEMP center console gauge to a fuel gauge using the guts off a 914 combo gas gauge.

Was easy....

I looked everywhere and even ordered the VDO gauge and got ones with the wrong ohm range both times. Pissed me off so I figured it out in a afternoon. Looks stock too.

If you want Eddie I can make you up one if you supply the parts.

Geoff
Dr Evil
Lapuwali,
they are at the place that you mentioned for getting yours converted. As well they are easy to find on the internet.
here ya go:
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=F...es=Vision&Cart=

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=F...s=Cockpit&Cart=
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 4 2004, 07:46 AM)
Why not run a triple gauge, I made up a bunch a while back, have some fronts and backs, and instructions as well. They are a b**ch to build, but Palo Alto will do one for you also, then you run fuel, oil temp, and pressure all in the one combo guage. I traded a bunch of backs for some screend fronts. They then finished up the fronts and they where sold through the Pelican Parts Site for a while. The entire piece was really high quality, I know all the backs where laser cut, and cadium plated, the fronts where beutifully done as well. Just a PITA to put togther.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images...e_completed.JPG

Heck maybe I should build another set, but they where a pain to build also, But I do have some of the proto pieces for the handy out there. Maybe I should sell these off.

I did this kit once, it is one Craig Laughlins 914-6. The kit rocks and I wish you would do some more of them. I would buy another.
Aaron Cox
make more!!!! and make em cheap! laugh.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 4 2004, 08:23 AM)
make more!!!! and make em cheap! laugh.gif

agree.gif I remember the last time you did the kit and had people pre-order them. I know making the face is a PITA, but man, they sure turned out nice. I think enough time (years) have past that another large group of buyers are out there. Post a new thread,,, forum and see what response you get. I bet there would be a rather large interest.
Bleyseng
I find the triple gauge to busy as all the gauges are smashed in and just off center. Using a 911 combo and a small fuel gauge is really clean. I don't need to look at the fuel gauge when racing but I do glance at the oil temp and pressure on the track and I want to find out that info quickly!
The cockpit VDO gauge is smaller also so it doesn't fit oem style in a center console. I know I am being CW but I don't like to hack.

Geoff biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Ok Geoff,
You want a larger one? Here is a 2 5/8" which I believe is the correct size.
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=F...pit_Black&Cart=

I do like your set up though, CW rolleyes.gif wink.gif

And yes 914forme, I would be interested in a triple gauge!
Bleyseng
As it notes its discontinued and I couldn't obtain one with the proper ohm range.

The triple gauge with a small diameter wheel is usless IMHO as you just can't see it.

Geoff
Eddie914
Geoff,

Thanks! That's the idea I now remember discussing. I'll find the old 914 combo fuel gauge and a VDO oil pressure gauge.

I'l be mounting the gauge in the ash tray cutout.

Eddie
lapuwali
Evil, I know about egauges, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them. They don't carry the right gauge. They have 2" fuel level gauges, yes, but they're not the right ohm range for the 914 sender. NONE of the shops selling gauges I've run across sells the VDO gauge that works out of the box with the 914 sender. VW sender, yes. GM sender, yes. VDO "universal" sender, yes. 911/914 sender, no. However, you CAN order the VDO tube-type sender from them and use it with the tube-type gauge. The tube can be cut to length to fit the tank. No low-level fuel light, though.

btw, just a quick vendor jab: egauges has screwed up both orders I've made with them. They sent a gauge with no locking ring one time, and they sent the wrong gauge the second time. They have a good site, and a good selection, but they need to work on the fulfilment process.

The triple gauge is very nice looking, but $400 is a bit much for me.
Dr Evil
301-601 is the second one downa dn is not discontinued. I know for a fact that NHspeedo can get you what you need and if you want something else they can calibrate it for you. I asked them if they had the VDO I need and they did. It looks like I will have to conduct a test in the near future with both the stock gauge, and the VDO unit I got from egauges. MMM data good.
lapuwali
The VDO float type "universal" sender is 10-180ohms. That gauge is also for the 10-180ohm range. The sender in the 914, however, is 35-0 ohms. So, you can't use that gauge with the 914 sender...
Dr Evil
Lapuwali,
according to both the people at NH speedo, and at PA speedo, the range that we use IS 10-180 and VDO is the only people that I found that made a gauge in that range. The 35-0 ohm reading that one gets when measuring the level may be incorrect due to the nature of rheostats, which I believe our sender is. I called around and got this from several sources, however I have yet to try my gauge out as I am not to the "install things" stage yet. Where did you get your numbers? If I am wrong I would bet that it wouldnt be too hard to put the low fuel light into the aftermarket tube sender.
lapuwali
I got my numbers by hooking a DMM up to a fuel sender, and sliding the float from top to bottom. I have a 10-180 ohm VDO fuel gauge on my shelf, it pegs at empty if I hook it up to the 914 sender with the float at the top, and reads slightly above empty with the float at the bottom. Not useful.

The aftermarket tube type sender is capacitive. It has no moving parts. Adding a low-fuel light that operates in any way like the stock one isn't possible. The stock one is very nice in that it simply uses a pair of contacts at the bottom that are closed when the float touches them, thus it's completely independent of the variable resistive sender used to move the needle. If one fails, the other continues to work. The low-fuel light setups I've seen on the capacitive senders simply use a comparator in the gauge itself, which means if the sender fails, both the needle and the light don't work. That said, the capacitive senders are very reliable, and almost never fail.
Dr Evil
James,
I didn't get a notice that you replied till today. That was the same way that I tried to do the range, but when I called the speedo places thay told me that that was incorrect. VDO does make one that looks just like the one that I have. It was used on the 916 in the dash center area.

Bryan, when I am at the point of goofing with my gauge, I will be very happy indeed. Unfortunately, I am far from that stage so I have no supporting or conflicting data. I would recommend calling Palo Alto Speedo, or North Hollywood speedo. If you buy it from them they can calibrate it if it needs it and if it doesnt work as advertized then they will make it right. Waldek over at NH speedo is a great guy and loves what he does.

Are our senders not the same as 911? I believe that they told me that they were, but it has been a bit since I talked to them.
Dr Evil
Here is an option if the stock sender is not 10-180ohm

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=10_180ohms
lapuwali
Just buying that gauge would probably be expensive, however, I believe the way they make it is to use a 924 or 944 combo gauge, remove the idiot lights on the sides, and swap in VDO gauge modules. You could theoretically construct something similar yourself using used gauges from Ebay or suchlike. I don't know how you'd do the voltmeter, but the others are easy. Alternatively, look at the thread on this board about 904 style gauges, which are three gauges (oil temp/press, and fuel) in one combo gauge, assembled yourself from used bits and some custom bits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.